games today

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

games today

Post by Gimp Mask »

You wake up stranded on an island. Make no mistake, this is a life-or-death situation. So you run around in your underwear gathering sticks. After about 20 minutes you have enough sticks to craft a dreamcatcher. You hang the dreamcatcher off a tree branch in the hopes that this nightmare will end and you'll wake up back home.

No such luck. You hear a loud bang. A bullet pierces your knee, and you fall down on all fours in agony. You try to crawl behind a tree to take cover when an enemy player approaches you from the woods. The last thing you hear is him calling you a swell guy over voice chat before he proceeds so stab you in the ass until you die. He crafts your skin into an armor that reduces bullet damage by two, while you wait in the lobby to join a new server.

This is The Last Survivors, an early-access video game by the indie developer The Computer Games Boys. We're currently in version 0.000282AFG alpha, and rest assured this game will never be finished. However we will be adding features such as cars and farming soon, so stay tuned. Maybe even car farming (combine harvester). Now available on Steam for 50 bucks.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Re: games today

Post by SenisterDenister »

It's just frustrating that this is the state of vidya now.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Jokes aside I feel like gaming is doing great right now. The 80s and 90s produced heaps of interesting stuff because the medium was more or less in its infancy / adolescence -- everything was kind of new -- but by now we've become accustomed to certain mechanics and have expectations for a lot basic of stuff like controls and UI. Feels like we've settled into something of a groove and everything is much more derivative now, but I don't think the magic can happen twice unless something really groundbreaking comes along; you can only get started once. I don't really even know what an original game (mechanics-wise) would look like these days, a lot of the time the more original games are just a clever combination of different genres.

On the flipside there are really good games being released regularly. Separating the wheat from the chaff in an oversaturated market can be challenging and a lot of good games have flown under my radar at least, but if you look at the bigger picture, say the past decade, gaming has been pretty good to us. Remember when RPGs and adventure games were dead? Really happy with the reemergence of roguelikes / lites as well, and personally I like the introduction nuXcom style tactical games that are easy to get into, as I can't be bothered to spend a week learning how a game works.

I guess the progression has become more linear, too. Think of all the BOTW-style open world games, the level of freedom of exploration would have blown my mind as a kid, but we just got there so naturally that it didn't feel like that big of a deal.

Still fucking hate all the crafting though, and I'm not saying there haven't been lots of dumb developments like what early access has become, but whatever
Echo
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Echo »

Here's to the ups and downs of the gaming world, and the thrill of discovering hidden gems along the way.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Our Host!