Do you read the news

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Do you read the news

Post by Gimp Mask »

I don't really

I have tried every now and then throughout the years, but I just don't care about the world that much I guess. The signal to noise ratio is just ridiculous anyway, and I'm a slow reader so I'd much rather focus my limited attention on something more interesting. I hear of world events from my friends or when I catch a headline somewhere, I heard about the Capitol Hill thingy like a week after it went down for example.

I think I'm better off, really: give a news story a week, if it still is circulating then it's probably meaningful in some way and I probably will hear about it, too, whereas the rest of the bull$hit gets filtered out by papà time. I guess this could be applied to ideas in general, on time-spans measured in centuries but I digressss, gilgamesh & chill
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

It is part of the daily zombie-procrastination I am stuck with. A bad habit when bored. I don't watch TV, I have little patient for that strangely enough. Perhaps because I scroll through 6 websites faster than they do one segment.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

I try to daily skim headlines but when you research news articles you see how much they are controlled by certain central sources, everybody has an agenda and you have to find those independant sources, sure they might also turn out to be bullshit but it's a hole you dig deeper in. I'm happier if I would just live in a cabin and not have any online sources :Kazcynski:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Amis wrote:I'm happier if I would just live in a cabin and not have any online sources :Kazcynski:
This would be ideal really, I hope I'm able to buy a tiny shack once my get rich quick Bitcoin scheme works out. I'm too attached to the hustle and bustle of the society still, but working on it. Maybe one day, maybe not it doesn't really matter, when life gives you lemons, I give them back I don't want no god damn lemons I want a tiny shack I'm sure I said it already

In other news: corona virus still a thing, "experts" say. Corona virus not a thing, "man podcasting from a truck" says
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I think Ted would enjoy the "alternate" media at least in the sense of not being under complete control by the system.

https://www-friatider-se.translate.goog ... ax,nv,elem

This is developing into the biggest scandal in Swedish history pretty much.

TLDR: Swedes acted as mules for MI6/CIA to smuggle out the creme de la creme of soviet military technology (think jet-radar systems, missile tech, etc) from Estland after the collapse of the USSR on a civilian ferry. Then one night it sank killing about 850 people and the Swedish state just put a lid on the whole investigation, kind of like scandinavian 9/11.

Official story was "The front fell off" and "A wave hit it".
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Most of the news I read is sifted through from about a dozen websites so I can determine what actually happened. They all lie. Liveleak and wikileaks were always good ones to trust since they had first hand footage or documents.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I feel Liveleak has been tamed pretty much into the edgy variant of reddit/videos.

First hand recordings is indeed the preferred way.

Old media is pretty grandpa anyways kids get their news from tic toc nowadays eh China
SenisterDenister

Yeah, Liveleak is a far cry from what it used to be, but that could be said about the internet in general. Open information is the hardest thing to come by these days.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

the actual photo versus the cropped version from first hand footage

It's not like some internet guy's journalistic standards are any higher, you're at the mercy of their directorial choices and the narrative they're building: what happened before or after the clip, what is left out of the frame, and so on. Often no context provided, no details about time/location, you see this all the time when old clips from unrelated events go viral. Yadda yadda You're always getting just a partial story and risk getting manipulated, heck even if you're there yourself you're skewed by your biases anyway, don't trust your eyes or ears trust me okay

I don't know seems like a lot of effort just to find out who's raping who in a pizza hut
SenisterDenister

It isn't considered effort to me, it's something I just do. I also use script-blocker and manually allow shit on every website I go to, but that never strikes me as tedious, either. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and in this day and age it's borderline impossible to get the truth in anything, so I try my best to find it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

and wikileaks, well assagne is a friggin russki shill right, just sayin, trust no one :evil:
SenisterDenister wrote:It isn't considered effort to me, it's something I just do. I also use script-blocker and manually allow shit on every website I go to, but that never strikes me as tedious, either. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and in this day and age it's borderline impossible to get the truth in anything, so I try my best to find it.
yeah man I'm joking around, I think that's the only useful way of going about it if you're interested in current events, or anything really. There's no avoiding the fragmentary nature of information so I suppose it's not a bad approximation if the truth's your jam.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Assange has been dead for a long time!
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

was he on that swedish cia smuggler ferry

every time i google some shit you guys say i get sources like this, just sayin
Last edited by Gimp Mask on Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i dont read the news but more because i find it like this big doom thing full of horrible shit that I cant do anything about.

idk what kind of news are we talking here?

local stuff can be funny when its things like local man mildly annoyed by a tree that fell onto a dogshit collection, that seems real enough to me
national stuff - everyones a cunt trying to cover their a*ses. and it just feeds more that misery dynamo that ah nothing can be done. uhhhhh...oh dearism adam curtis etc. - but it breeds apathy rather than doing something about it

Whatever man *spits* stop the goddamn world I wanna get off, pronto. *lowers cap but eyes are glowing underneath to show dark power*
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote:idk what kind of news are we talking here?
i dunno just news i guess? things... happening. democrats, social justice trannies, alt-hitler, what else is there. not much these days. stock market, mars.

i check out rex's twitter every now and then, so i guess i do read news sort of,
this just in: critical race theory is the biggest global catastrophe ever
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I agree that the local news is the most real news, since it's not orchestrated by the lizards.

And Gimp haven't you heard about controlled opposition?

News is draining.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Hyacinth wrote:And Gimp haven't you heard about controlled opposition?

News is draining.
Honestly this is perhaps the biggest issue I have with conspiracy theories, there's always another explanation to any criticism, and the goalposts just keep on moving until they just get absurd at some point. I do appreciate that people are more critical of the mainstream media, but it manifests in very bizarro ways. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me if the world is controlled by lizards and wizards or beautiful honest people with opposing beliefs trying to make the world a paradise on earth. The end result is the same bullshit either way.

Sometimes I just like to be a bit of a jerk about this stuff but it's pretty cool that people are into weird shit. I don't really rate my own reality very high anyway

I agree, news is draining.
SenisterDenister

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

yes i am, got the government administered vaccine against propaganda mang
Hyacinth
Striding Hero