Favorite Tractor

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

What's your favorite tractor?

John Deere
26%
Fiat
No votes
Massey-Ferguson
5%
Ford
11%
International
5%
Belarus
No votes
Zetor
11%
Valtra Valmet
11%
New Holland
11%
Ursus
No votes
Same
No votes
Deutz
No votes
Case
21%
McGormick
No votes

Total votes: 19

Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Kashluk wrote:Well, he sure does seem to *know* me well :) we have ONE massey-ferguson... It's 35x (35 horses) and it sucks ass. Back from the 60's it is.

And yes, hanuri is a slang word for asshole 8O
He's a country boy at heart, Kashluk, and boy does he know his tractors!!!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ach, nothing beats a good ol' finnish farmer! :wink:

We're all country boys at heart, some just have this cityish mask on 'em, yup sure they have... :D

What about you Vik? You a country boy at heart?
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Kashluk wrote:Ach, nothing beats a good ol' finnish farmer! :wink:

We're all country boys at heart, some just have this cityish mask on 'em, yup sure they have... :D

What about you Vik? You a country boy at heart?
I grew up in a small market town with farms all round me....since I've never worked on one, all my farmer mates at school used to call me a "Townie". Now I work and live in London, everybody there calls me a country boy when they hear my rural Hertfordshire (farming area) accent...

Can't bloody win, can I??
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Um... I'm not sure if I'm typing this right, but when talking about the farming accent a question popped into my mind:

Is the Hereford-breed coming from that neighbourhood?
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Kashluk wrote:Um... I'm not sure if I'm typing this right, but when talking about the farming accent a question popped into my mind:

Is the Hereford-breed coming from that neighbourhood?
No. That's named after a town on the English - Welsh border call Hereford.

I come from a county (or district) called Hertfordshire just North of London.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hm... I guess you Englishmen have quite a poor imagination, when all the town names are so similar :D

... but on second thought, 75% of finnish town names end with "-vesi", "-järvi" or "-joki" :oops:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

yqy
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Why would you dig this you tool.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

What the fuck? You've done it again, susan! :clap:
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Why?
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

?

Post by Janus Matchell »

My Grand Parents have a John Deere tractor and a John Deere Lawnmower. I was taught how to drive using their John Deere Lawnmower and it was all fun and games one time I wass mowing the lawn and hit a pit. Man that sucked I got thrown off and mower got stuck. It was the first of many where I had to have my left shoulder reset.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: ?

Post by Retlaw83 »

Janus Matchell wrote:My Grand Parents have a John Deere tractor and a John Deere Lawnmower. I was taught how to drive using their John Deere Lawnmower and it was all fun and games one time I wass mowing the lawn and hit a pit. Man that sucked I got thrown off and mower got stuck. It was the first of many where I had to have my left shoulder reset.
Shut yer hole.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'll put it out of it's misery.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

all your tract0rz are belong to us (i couldn't resist)
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Good question Kashluk. First of all, I think you did a great job with the selection of manufacturers: saves me a lot of time when tractors like the Ukrainian Boreks -- a solid work-horse in its own right, but sorely lacking in any qualities that would make it really stand out -- have been eliminated from the race before it has even truly begun.

Tractors by their very nature are purely utilitarian to me, I have no sentimental attachment to agricultural equipment. Therefore I would have to say that my favourite tractor would be the best tractor. What is the best tractor, then?

I think the most reasonable approach, this being a Fallout forum and all, would be to rate each tractor using some sort of a tractorized SPECIAL system. I will use the following statistics: Speed, Durability, Power, Handling and Features, giving each statistic a rating between 1 and 10. You could pick any number of statistics of course, but I believe these five strike an acceptable balance between accuracy and simplicity.

Now I will explain how these statistics should be assessed; again, I am hoping to be rigorous enough to make a reasonable evaluation, without getting bogged down with the minutiae of the machinery. Speed and Power are pretty self-explanatory. For speed I would assign a mean value based on acceleration and top speed and for power do the same with torque and horsepower. Handling could be tested on some kind of a special track designed for tractors, just like is done with race-cars and such. Durability should mainly take into account exposure to elements, impact damage and regular mechanical wear and tear. These all could be conducted using a variety of stress tests.

Features are a highly subjective matter, some might opt for mechanical levers instead of electrical switches for maintenance reasons for instance. I think the best course of action is to focus on what the features are, not how they are implemented. For example, a tractor may or may not have a pedal or a switch for controlling the rear differential lock; a tractor with the said feature should be rated higher in the Feature department than a tractor without.

Back to your question, Kashluk. I am a little embarrassed by how much I have written about the best tractor without saying anything about my favourite tractor. That is because my preferences are highly situational: I might prefer a tractor with high Durability over a tractor with high Power in certain weather conditions, for example, but that fact alone could hardly be considered a definition of a favourite tractor. Now, maybe there is a "perfect" tractor but I have yet to encounter it. That is why I think it's more practical to have an Excel spreadsheet of different tractor models and their statistics, so that any time I am assigned a job that requires a tractor, I can pick the perfect tractor for the job.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Where is the lamborghini option?
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Clearly the king of tractors is the Pipe and Cable Plow SPIDER F 250 Cab.

Here is why:

- Doule arm system in front
- Reinforced chassis and construction
-Installation blade in the middle of the plow
- Traction point of cable straight in front of the installation blade
-Perfect weight distribution for outstanding performance
-Two-part blade for optimal terrain adjustment
-Powerful 4 x 4 propulsion technology with differential lock
-User and service friendly

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Hyacinth wrote:Pipe and Cable Plow SPIDER F 250 Cab.
That looks great for plowing pipes and cables. As for plowing fields or snow, I'm not so sure. What's the pressure range on the flow control block of that beauty? If it's anywhere near 6,000 psi I'm sold.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said the psi is whatever you want it to be honey and said he would throw in some sleek rims for it summer time, this baby does it all apparently and the dealer assured med that he uses it for both forestry work as well as the yearly field harvest.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Well if you trust your dealer then I trust him too because I'll trust anyone. Anyway that settles it, this is the perfect tractor and also my favourite tractor and I will have the 6,000 psi block and these rims please. The flow control block is for plowing fields and the rims are for plowing the pu$$y.
Our Host!