Why do you even live

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Why do you even live

Post by Gimp Mask »

I mean you specifically, what's the thing that keeps you going, are you religious, is there meaning in your life, what makes you happy, or do you even think about these things? :flamed:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

just want to see what happens really, sometimes I get thinking is this all for nothing, everything is so fleeting etc. etc. but then I'm glad to exist and see nature or look at the shape of things, I dunno

what about u
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Got nothing better to do I suppose
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Enjoying life. Hedonistic approach, mmmkay.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I have over 4000 posts on this website, does that count for anything?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Sure? Some grand motherfuckers we are.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Hey man heavy thread you okay?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I think about this stuff nearly every goddamn day. There isn't much meaning in my life, I go from day to day. I like the idea of religions, I've studied several of them, read some theologian's materials, but I don't know if I believe any of it. I want to. I don't see much of a point to anything, I think existence is an accident and we're just playing our parts in some scripted tragedy. I think predestination is real, to an extent. I don't think free will exists, we're products of our programming and chemical makeups, running on instinct and by this logic everything can be mapped out into the future for our actions as individuals and as a species. I think we'll reach a point with the study of physics that we can determine every known course of action, which will prove there is no such thing as free will and that everything is just the result of prior actions and we're all just puppets on a cosmic level from the birth of the universe. Time is a misconception for us as three dimensional beings, as it's all happening at once despite our consciousnesses witnessing it at only one frame of reference at any given time, and that everything is already scripted out. Our past, present, and future have happened, are happening, and will happen but are still happening simultaneously. We're just playing our parts. At this point I just live to see what happens next. Hedonism is wasteful, I don't like consumerism. I think spartan living is probably the best way to endure.

A lot of my thoughts are kind of half baked but I think the core of the idea is probably right.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I got the gist of it mang. God is dead but I sure wish he wasn't. I am somewhat anhedonic so unlike Kashluk I don't really get much out of anything in general, so to me life's more about general curiosity maybe.

I guess my reason for living would be that I'm hoping for self-realization of any kind, whether it's übermensch or sunyata or anything really; what really pains me is how my life is a cowardly compromise. This is Sparta goddammit! *kicks the Whole Foods shopping trolley in disgust*
Hey man heavy thread you okay?
sure, thanks for your concern
SenisterDenister

I've always been a fan of asceticism. Unfortunately it's currently untenable to live that way for me. I've often wondered how nice it would be to become a hermit in the mountains, though.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Why is it untenable for you? For me it is because I would be dead within a month if I lived in a cave, I am too dependent on the way of life I abhor. I also lack the backbone to pull it off, like that gollum character in the movie 300. He was all swole no spine. But I think it would do me good to get away from people at least.

ImageImage
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I see your point of view but anhedonia also sounds like a low point, why has there to be meaning at all and if everything is predetermined then clearly your existence is required to experience whatever you are experiencing from your subjective point of view for the all which everything stems from. Then again your point of view is clouded by your own judgments of what you determine to be positive or negative in relation to your falsly believed self. Without judgment you'd be free.

I find peace in just experience, to demand meaning is pointless since experience is meaning enough for me. Meaning and reason to live for me are not co-dependent in my world. If I ccould live with all my needs met without wage slaving that'd be swell. I have it as a general goal in life.

To experience as much as I can is both egotistically driven but there is joy in not abiding with norms and the societal prison of regular life.

I feel like I am rambling.
SenisterDenister

I find becoming a hermit to be untenable right now because I have too many obligations to friends, family, and a few other organizations that I can't get away from. I cannot in good conscious abandon my family. It is unfortunate that man is given so much awareness but hardly any time to act.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

I am enjoying the neighborhood "quiet". No (minimal) cars, airplanes, trains, sirens. It is unfortunate that it takes something like this virus to bring us back down to enjoy the basics of life, but until it is all over I am going to continue enjoying it and counting my Blessings.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far, it's really interesting to get glimpses of how you approach a question like this!
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Hyacinth wrote:Image
What's going on in this guys' head is a complete mystery to me.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Nouns?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

My midlife crisis involved collecting action figures. Vintage and New. Doesn't matter so long as it is something that looks interesting.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

This thread is now about Action Man.
Our Host!