Scholarly Articles

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Scholarly Articles

Post by Dogmeatlives »

This is to fucking vent and possibly get some answers!!! For fuck's sake! I despise having to find scholarly articles for research papers! In the year 2 fucking thousand ten you would think there would be some place I could go where the world's scholars and their dipshitting articles would be available to me, but fuck no!! I have to search some college database for hours on end before I can even start writing!

What in the fuck?! Is this what fuckers at universities do to get their goddamned Phd's?!?! Well count me out! I don't have the patience! And why the fuck do I need some prick's pov on freudian theory?! The guy is obviously a wingnut to be writing long ass articles about crusty ass freudian theory!!!

FUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKK!!!! Like fuck! Why do I need to write some dipshit essay to graduate?! I know fucking every goddamn thing about Freud and fucking Hamlet so why do I need to cite some bitch article when my facts are fucking correct!!! Shouldn't the professor know this shit already?!

I can understand if a nigga wants a citation if I'm telling him that fucking pigs learned to fly, but I should not have to cite the definition of the goddamned superego!! It's just tedious!! And I go and try to find a frickin scholarly jackoffin article and the Psychoanalytic Society or the Journal Prick Association wants me to pay them for the privilige of reading their dumb ass bullshit! Fuck it!

Ok and I'm not a smart guy, not at all, but I'm pretty computer savvy when compared to half the nimrods on this planet and I will be a cunt's cabbage patch if I can't figure out how to utilize my own school's resource database to find a full article without jumping through ten million digital ass hoops!! Goddamn fuckers!!!

Alright, so my question to DaC is 'is there a site that I will allow me to access full articles easily, without all the bullshit?'

And also if these guys are such scholars why can't they figure out how to make their writings more easily accessible?! Like am I really meant to hunt for and then pay for their goddamned asshole brain farts?!

Please help!
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Haha, it's part of the game, my friend! If finding articles was easy, then it wouldn't really be called 'research', now would it?

Seriously, though, maybe you're not doing it right? I mean most databases have their own search systems, some us asterisks (*), some don't, some have filter options etc. Once you get the hang of it, and learn which phrases are most common with each subject, you'll be finding articles with much less trouble. I can't really show you to any good databases I know, because they require the our university computer access login, and the rest are 99% Finnish articles. But I'm pretty sure the options you have at your disposal are pretty adequate as well, as soon as you get the hang of it. Make sure you use databases that have a contract with your place of education. Our uni has these deals where they pay money to the journals to allow students free access to their article databases.

And when it comes to the whole 'WHY, GOD, WHY?' part, well, there are several reasons. A) you show that you're aware of the other research covering the topic, B) you have something new to say / something contradictory to former research and C) you don't have to re-invent the wheel, because most likely someone's done the basics for you already if you know where to look. It's this whole 'cumulative knowledge' dealio, you know.

Good luck with your work. I've gotten so used to writing 6 - 10 page essays myself by now, that the stress of the freshman year seems like ages ago. What are you studying, by the way?
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

if cakester is watching, buddy this is how to complain correctly.

DML, I feel your pain etc., I've definitely encountered the pain of finding the exact article (from its accessible abstract) that I need to actually get a handle on the subject of my essay, but nope of course I can't read it. What I usually do is what kashluk said, stick to what your uni paid for. In a perfect world I'd like to have enough faith in my university that the profs would buy subscriptions they know would complement their courses and vice versa, but I guess one never knows.

and yeah good luck and stuff.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Huh really?
Just go on HeinOnline, they have probably the largest collection of articles, not sure how good they are on philosophy though.

Generally if I need an article I usually google it to find some database that has it and then check if my university has access to it. It does for pretty much all of the big ones.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

It's a Boolean conspiracy.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

That Was Then, This Is Now

Post by 4too »

That Was Then, This Is Now

Might never have got my 'Gentleman's C' in college, if not for my Dad's transfer to a rural base.
That consolidated high school had an academic - college prep - program on par and superior to the city high school I left behind.
Rural HS, forced fed spelling, grammar, and basic writing. HS seniors got no free ride.
Did not have that revelation of good basic training until college junior year, broken and bloodied, still had a 'C' average and a possible BA to fight for, before the survivor's benefits ran out.

Still did horrible for 2 years at college, until I learned to plan my school work before my chosen lifestyle. Not the *vise*-a versa.

The week end did not start at Thursday night happy hour ...

Still lost a millennium of brain cells in the !BEER WARS OF THE SEVENTIES!, and managed to limp away with a degree. Only good for higher and deeper institutionalization ...

Never learned to write at the pace required for A's, but always knew where a dictionary was, and always tried to rewrite ... and managed to be familiar with the walls of text of required reading, to B.S. in those in-class essays.

More on topic.

In that rural HS had to get an inter library loan, between the county and some Virginia college, to get the principle book for a paper on nativistic movements among American Indians.
The genuine re-bound copy cited in the encyclopedias was in my very teen frenzied mitts!

Shame your uni doesn't have a hard copy of the sought for periodical ... does the specific academic department have it's own library hidden away in it's offices. Where are the reserve shelves barricaded?
Will your local Public Library defer all or part of the copy costs?

In college I needed the prof's assistance to get a copy of a book printed in the 1890's, another genuine 're-bound' historical document, from UVA I believe.
Wanted to base my *compare and contrast* on period writing, (not regurgitate someone else's paraphrasing), before erecting an aesthetic straw man for conflagration.

Well, we were encouraged to state an opinion and defend it. Put some thought and drama in the presentation.

More on topic.

If access was possible in the '70's, it may be someone's job, this very day, to assist you in finding references, librarians and who ever teaches the class or advises your course of study.

Freud? First he was controversial, then he got to be dogma, and now he's fatally flawed.
Today folks are diagnosed and drugged by the same statistical number munching that was pioneered by insurance actuaries and marketers.
So much for the human touch in the reputed 'helping' professions.

Good luck.

Freud? Psych? Maybe you can learn to "game" the 'A-B-C--X-Y-Z' disorder testing and get some good med-s? Happy Hour is now 24 - 7 in the 21st Century?!!1!? ;)

Good luck, digging up the stacks, shoveling the shine-ola. May it always be, now and fore-ever, higher and deeper ... ah-men.

4too
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Can't help you, mate.
I have to say though, reading your opening post kinda hits home to my experiences as well. I fucking hate schooling with a passion, and more grating like this kind of inspires me to get my writing career underway.

Quit fucking around Stalagmite and keep reading.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

I just did a workshop on how to use the database more efficiently yesterday. Thanks dogmeatlives, for inspiring me. Now I know how to not waste hours and hours on BS.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've always hated search engines in general because I feel like I never get what I want and end up surprised that it can't find what I'm looking for like it doesn't exist. You really have to work hard to find what you want but rarely will you find it especially with research papers, you have to go all over the places and find specific stuff in huge articles.

Usually your school will have different engines that search the same databases and one will do better than the other for whatever reason. If you have a hard time finding stuff then you may want to try google or google scholar then when you find the article you want that requires you to pay to read the whole thing then go into your database with the scholar number or whatever and your college most likely has a subscription that covers it.

If your just trying to source your facts that you know are true then you have it easy and shouldn't be bitching. The bitching happens when you try to pick a unique topic to research and find out that because its unique there isn't much info on it or the info on it is so out of your depth that you wouldn't really be able to understand it.

Also a pro tip for quoting books you haven't read; find a book review with excerpts then copy their quotes and respond with your own words. I did that once for a crap history class that I didn't do so well in but I thought it would be a good idea to teach others who want to slack.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Our work is electronically checked for plagiarism, so "just copying quotes" would most likely result in an instant fail.

Just stop whining and do a workshop and learn how to save time in the future.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

He said use the quotes from the sources that get cited - that's not plagarism.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

This is true. Got it wrong I guess. Life's harsh.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Now I just wanna fap for some reason.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I dont like writing essays as i spend about half the frikkin thing explaining what the means or whatever so im like FUCKIN NOTES then i dont even do it right or whatever man, whatever, fuck the shit, you think i give a damn about a a grammy? half you pricks cant even understand me let along stand me but slim what if you win wouldnt it be nice to sit next to britney spears and fred dirsts?

also i lie about every single qualification on my cv B)
:chew:
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Yeah, I think Megs has a point. Fuck sources, just wing it. If you become a con-man, you'll end up having a pretty exciting life I bet.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Through my uni I got free acces to this:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science

Check it out.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Megatron wrote:also i lie about every single qualification on my cv B)
I imagined the man in your avatar saying that. fun stuff
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

gobbleykins wrote:
Megatron wrote:also i lie about every single qualification on my cv B)
I imagined the man in your avatar saying that. fun stuff
what ur talking aboot? it's a boy, not a man. megatron is a boy too, just like charlie brown or peter pan or some other first name and surname
Our Host!