The Firearms Thread.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Username wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote: Wow I never thought about it that way - you are absolutely right.
Guns for everybody!

Isn't that he cornerstone of a society built upon liberty?
So you define liberty as having access to cheap guns? Clearly man is not free unless he is able to buy a machinegun for a tenner?

Anyway, Switzerland is a great country but not at our ages. I lived there for 5 years and honestly, you get so fucking bored of everything because the place is just too fucking sterile. The only city I'd like to live in in Switzerland would be Zurich and even then I wouldn't really want to be there in the next 30 years.

Of course, owning a mountain hut in the alps would be fucking awesome.

Yeah I heard they were pretty sterile. How come you lived there for 5 years+
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: YES

Post by Stalagmite »

Blargh wrote:What isn't the issue ? It's only a matter of focus. Focus and time. Focus and time and <deleted>. :drunk:
I don't understand this time.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

YES

Post by Blargh »

An observation regarding the transition from wool-gatherer to contrarian society. Worry not, old bean. :drunk:
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

A Car In Every Garage, ... Be Carful What One Wishes ...

Post by 4too »

A Car In Every Garage, ... Be Careful What One Wishes ...

So what if,

as in this Swiss utopia,

Americans facilitated the expression of their Second Amendment Rights, pledging years to reserve military, or other government service duties.

A willing pool of public spirited citizens! Need 600,000 pairs of boots on the ground to kick up the dust for the next Wilsonian Intervention? We Got'em!!!!!

Volunteering, for *courteous* compensation, ( low pay and minimal education sustenance and health care), to Patriotically T-Bag the National Debt!

In leu of dubious, tax and spend, archaic GI benefits would be 'perks', ...

keeping at home a contemporary icon of liberty, keeping it clean, oiled, sites adjusted, and out of reach of their kids.

Millions of Americans can drive responsibly, millions of minute-persons can SHOOT responsibly!

Hey dad can I borrow the M16 tonight?

Alright son, but be home by 1200 hours, don't come home with an empty clip, and don't do nothin' I wouldn't :wink-nudge:!

Yes America triumphs, Three chickens in every pot, TWO cars in every garage, and a M16A4 under every bed, as symbolic bait to a life time of militia servitude!

'Cause "Freedom_Ain't_Free(tm)" :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

4too
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Oh my fucking christ who the fuck thinks like that over there still when the rest of the world has been laughing at that shit for many years?
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

4too :hug:

:evil_laugh:
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Fuckin go Swiss, cookoo clocks, chocolate, banks and guns.

But on a serious note, why should police have easy access to full-auto/burst and not the citizens. Everyone knows you can make/buy the damn parts (criminals) under the table.

You're telling me that little piece of shit is hard to make? Or that someone with an illegal firearm is going to be hesitant to install one? And really, is a 12" barrel suddenly more deadly and 'evil' than a 16"?

Control the masses. :drunk:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I wouldn't call it "control the masses" more than "Make myself look better because I'm a politician". That's really what it's all about.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

It's definetly control the masses cause if the masses weren't dumb sheep (already semi conditioned and controlled) they wouldn't be demanding these various restrictions on their personal liberty while accepting their ever degrading working conditions, diminishing purchasing power and the consolidation of corporate power. Right?

Or they just don't give a shit like you, until the shit hits the fan that is. But that's fine.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Oh for crying out loud why can't I find someone who wants to live a life that suits then instead of finding a bunch of 'The Matrix' loving twats? Whatever happened to just drinking beer with some mates and having a good time?

Politics are shit everyone should know this but why feel dominated and weak under that belt with some sort of prancing idealism?
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Nothing happened with that dude. That's al'right still. And I sure do it.

As I told you in the other thread to me it's just fucked up not to give a shit after you've had a blast, after that beer, when you're sitting home and thinking about it or studying like I am doing atm.

The world is bloody going down the drain pretty fast dude. The effects of it just aren't very apparent yet. One day you'll sit there and you won't have that dollar for that beer cause the cost of living increased so much faster than your wage has.

And even if you got a bunch of stocks and investements, the economy is becoming more and more wobbly. That shit may crash any year. I don't know dude but it does amaze me how people can just ignore these things.

It's really like the atmosphere sometimes is "we can't do shit about it anyway so let's just forget about it". And that's kinda a sad outlook on life.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Username wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Username wrote:
Isn't that he cornerstone of a society built upon liberty?
So you define liberty as having access to cheap guns? Clearly man is not free unless he is able to buy a machinegun for a tenner?

Anyway, Switzerland is a great country but not at our ages. I lived there for 5 years and honestly, you get so fucking bored of everything because the place is just too fucking sterile. The only city I'd like to live in in Switzerland would be Zurich and even then I wouldn't really want to be there in the next 30 years.

Of course, owning a mountain hut in the alps would be fucking awesome.

Yeah I heard they were pretty sterile. How come you lived there for 5 years+
Boarding school.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Firearm ownership is similar (but obviously not the same) as car ownership. It requires personal responsibility and commitment to safe operation. It also requires (a personal requirement, not a legal one) practice, knowledge and common sense to operate properly. I personally would not be completely adverse to at least showing that you can safely use a firearm before being able to purchase one, but that would require a licensing system that I don't support. My other problem is with who would get to decide the requirements for safe operation? More of a philosophical question than anything.

For those of us who do own and operate firearms safely and responsibly for hunting/sport (i.e. IPSIC, 3 Gun)/recreation/self defense the idea that WE (being the law abiding citizens) should be punished (or have our hobby that many of us have spent thousands of dollars or more on suddenly made illegal) is as offensive as having your car taken away because people use them irresponsibly or criminals use them in crimes. I feel IMHO that the Right to Bear Arms is important for many reasons and shouldn't be infringed because of the actions of a few.

As a naturally suspicious person I distrust whenever some politician wants to limit what I can have but I also know I don't have all the answers. I have rifles, shotguns and handguns, I shoot them all regularly and I have never fired a shot in anger. Don't like guns? Don't buy one or move to an area that doesn't have any (do they really exist?) If I commit a violent crime I not only deserve to lose my guns but also deserve to never again be able to purchase one legally.

Just remember. "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Excellent post.

Another saying: "Better to have and not need, than need and not have."
does this work
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Machiavelli wrote:Firearm ownership is similar (but obviously not the same) as car ownership. It requires personal responsibility and commitment to safe operation.
Probably why I'm better off owning a few Valiants than a gun. D:
Can't wait to get back to Grafton so I can race down Bent street. :D
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Machiavelli wrote:Firearm ownership is similar (but obviously not the same) as car ownership. It requires personal responsibility and commitment to safe operation. It also requires (a personal requirement, not a legal one) practice, knowledge and common sense to operate properly. I personally would not be completely adverse to at least showing that you can safely use a firearm before being able to purchase one, but that would require a licensing system that I don't support. My other problem is with who would get to decide the requirements for safe operation? More of a philosophical question than anything.

For those of us who do own and operate firearms safely and responsibly for hunting/sport (i.e. IPSIC, 3 Gun)/recreation/self defense the idea that WE (being the law abiding citizens) should be punished (or have our hobby that many of us have spent thousands of dollars or more on suddenly made illegal) is as offensive as having your car taken away because people use them irresponsibly or criminals use them in crimes. I feel IMHO that the Right to Bear Arms is important for many reasons and shouldn't be infringed because of the actions of a few.

As a naturally suspicious person I distrust whenever some politician wants to limit what I can have but I also know I don't have all the answers. I have rifles, shotguns and handguns, I shoot them all regularly and I have never fired a shot in anger. Don't like guns? Don't buy one or move to an area that doesn't have any (do they really exist?) If I commit a violent crime I not only deserve to lose my guns but also deserve to never again be able to purchase one legally.

Just remember. "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
Comparing guns to vehicles is a fallacy, it makes no sense. A vehicle is a method of transport, definitely needed more in some parts of the world than in others. You cannot really make a case for guns in the same fashion.
Reversing the liberal argument, give one good reason for why people should be allowed to own guns. I know that you live in the "land of the free" bla bla, but the concept of freedom is a double edged one - freedom to and freedom from. Personally, I am advocate for extremely strict gun laws, mainly because I enjoy the freedom of living in a society that is free of psychologically unstable gun-toting maniacs.
Should people be allowed to own guns? Yes, but I believe that gun control should be far stricter in countries like the States.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

^You sound like you care too much. The rest of the world knows how retarded Americans are, just start boycotting as much as you can. LOL they'll probably get scared and just start bombing countries if that happens.

:bored: Who cares?

Anyway, back to GUNS!!! :dance:

Henry repeater

Have to do my avatar homage, you know, considering the time I spent playing Red Dead Redemption and watching spaghetti westerns.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

My grandfather had an original Henry repeater from the first run they did in the 1860s. Too bad he gave it to my uncle and it's across the country from me.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Dude that sucks because that was one of the pivotal moments of American history. After WW2.... meh.

Don't let me bring you down though, there's some fascinating and tragic history in American culture.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

There's fascinating and tragic history in every culture.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!