Boeing responsible for the Vertibird?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Boeing responsible for the Vertibird?

Post by Manoil »

As I was working in Google SketchUp the other day, I was browsing around the Warehouse and I noticed this.

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate aircraft, or just a fictional creation? I couldn't help but recognize a slight resemblance to the Enclave Vertibird, be it less insectoid/Horsefly and more Blackhawk.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Looks like an Osprey, but with weaponry. They're very real, although a bit unreliable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-22_Osprey

Edit: Ah yes...read the description below the image on the link you posted. It's supposed to be a next-gen version of the Osprey, but I'm not sure if it's actually real.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Osprey combines the worst features of a helicopter and a fixed-wing aircraft. But they look kind of bad-ass. :half-life:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Seriously, though... looking at this, the Vertibird seems like it's only a long way down the road, not merely just a fictional concept. Yet another element of Fallout that merely seems like something approaching steadily, rather than something futuristic that is so far off it doesn't seem possible.

If a purging fire is inevitable in an overgrowing forest, how long do you guys give humanity before someone presses the little red button and starts it all?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

It's obvious that the developers were influenced by Osprey when they designed the Vertibird. However, the Vertibird isn't very fitting to Fallout's retrofuturistic style. It's more of the "let's bring more shit from modern weaponry to the Fallout-verse because we're too damn unimaginative to utilize the original design concept of Fallout" -line of thought, which was present in Fallout 2.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Indeed, the vertibird from Fallout 2 was nothing unique and special. The concept is as old as mud. Well, mud that is like 60 years old or so.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

VasikkA wrote:It's obvious that the developers were influenced by Osprey when they designed the Vertibird. However, the Vertibird isn't very fitting to Fallout's retrofuturistic style. It's more of the "let's bring more shit from modern weaponry to the Fallout-verse because we're too damn unimaginative to utilize the original design concept of Fallout" -line of thought, which was present in Fallout 2.

I didn't mind the vertibird. The other stuff was a bit much.
Miniguns? Borderline.
Pancor jackhammer? Maybe if it was redone as a wierd Thompson SMG.

As for the vertibird:

There would be some stylistic advances even in a world constructed from multiple superposed concepts of "the 50s".

Also, the design is correct for operating from an oil rig and for hopping around a wasteland without prepared landing sites.

Also, the 50's were a time when almost everything was tried R&D-wise.

Including tilt-rotors.

If the 50s lasted 120 years, they would have figured out how to make tilt-rotors work.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Red, that last sentence confuses the hell outta me
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Manoil wrote:Red, that last sentence confuses the hell outta me
1950-2000 = 50 years.

2000-2077 = 77 years.

50+77= 127

So in the FO universe it is "the 50s" for 127 years.

I rounded it down.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Right, it was just the way it was worded.
BTW, I think there's some shit going down, even without the FEV.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Manoil wrote:Right, it was just the way it was worded.
BTW, I think there's some shit going down, even without the FEV.

moar
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I knew about Xenografting, and the gator-puppy-bat is a photoshop production, but some of those are fuckin' crazy, man.

ZOMG! YAO GUAI!
Our Host!