Susan's movies from the '90s reviews : The Matrix

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Susan's movies from the '90s reviews : The Matrix

Post by S4ur0n27 »

As strange as it may sound, The Matrix was released in... 1999 D: Chit I was like 15 at the time; I don't remember being such a kid. Heck, I wasn't even posting at DAC at the time D:

Anyway, watching the two sequels(and especially, especially the third movie) had made me forget that the first one was such a good and efficace movie.

It has much less CGI then the two sequels, and the dialogues actually made sense and hinted back at actual philosophical interogations, while also featuring nice action sequences D:

Especially the part in the office, at the beginning, it's excellent.
Most fight scenes are great too.

And watching it stoned is a good thing.

8.5 D: out of 10
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

And you've aged, what, 1 year since then? Well done.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

yeah the first matrix is a pretty incredible movie in almost every way.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

It is less incredible by virtue of The Canoe. All things are lessened by The Canoe. :drunk:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

ImageImage
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Looks like walt thinks that blargh has a pretty mouth.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

This topic is about the matrix okay? :(
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I actually despised The Matrix when it came out, because all the kids in school were talking about it. Even this one (horrible) kid who watched stuff like Stargate and Star Trek prophecised about the Matrix, so I didn't really have a choice back then. Only recently I've learned to appreciate the way the movie is the constructed and how the finer philosophical motifs are discussed. Like all good sci-fi, The Matrix has a hidden agenda beyond what you see on the screen. The biggest gripe I have with the movie is the pompous dialogue and the superfluous and ridiculous action sequences, but I guess they're included only to attract people like caszim to theaters.

I haven't watched Matrix 2 or 3, but from what I've gathered, they're more focused on action and narrative shit.

Oh, and the office scene is brilliant.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

VasikkA wrote:I actually despised The Matrix when it came out, because all the kids in school were talking about it. Even this one (horrible) kid who watched stuff like Stargate and Star Trek prophecised about the Matrix, so I didn't really have a choice back then. Only recently I've learned to appreciate the way the movie is the constructed and how the finer philosophical motifs are discussed. Like all good sci-fi, The Matrix has a hidden agenda beyond what you see on the screen. The biggest gripe I have with the movie is the pompous dialogue and the superfluous and ridiculous action sequences, but I guess they're included only to attract people like caszim to theaters.

I haven't watched Matrix 2 or 3, but from what I've gathered, they're more focused on action and narrative shit.

The office scene is probably the best of the movie. The first half is generally better the second, though the ending is fine.

You might want to see the second one, it's not that bad, and the fight scene with agent Smith is worth seeing, but the third one, don't watch it, it's shit. Maybe I should try again, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep once again during the Zion attack scene.
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

ImageImageImage
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Someone delete this post?

I should still be a damn SJNRR admin D:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
VasikkA wrote:I actually despised The Matrix when it came out, because all the kids in school were talking about it. Even this one (horrible) kid who watched stuff like Stargate and Star Trek prophecised about the Matrix, so I didn't really have a choice back then. Only recently I've learned to appreciate the way the movie is the constructed and how the finer philosophical motifs are discussed. Like all good sci-fi, The Matrix has a hidden agenda beyond what you see on the screen. The biggest gripe I have with the movie is the pompous dialogue and the superfluous and ridiculous action sequences, but I guess they're included only to attract people like caszim to theaters.

The office scene is probably the best of the movie. The first half is generally better the second, though the ending is fine.

You might want to see the second one, it's not that bad, and the fight scene with agent Smith is worth seeing, but the third one, don't watch it, it's shit. Maybe I should try again, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep once again during the Zion attack scene.
If you can stomach the loss of life watch 2 and 3 together. They play out as one big fucking movie cut in half and as such are mediocre at best. Generally a snooze fest though.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

matrix fails miserably at "philosophical interogations", although brings some questions to the general audience eye. I liked how Baudrillard's book about simulacra is in the film a simulacurm itself.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

When I saw Matrix in theaters when it came out I thought it was pretty interesting and cool but my parents were a bit wierded out by it. My dad eventually liked it but my mom got kind of disgusted by the humans in that slime stuff heh.

After watching it I had no idea it was going to make the impact it has on the movie industry and everything else. I actually watched it last night on TV and it was pretty good still, definitely has that good action movie feel to it. Almost like a T2 but not as good okay.

I remember my math teacher talking about how he saw it with some friends and they ended up watching it another two times right after in the same theater the same day because of how unbelievable it was to them.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I just watched some show about anime or something and they showed a bunch of stills from the Matrix and Ghost in the Shell or a few other animes along side it and they had well over a dozen scenes that were nearly if not identical to the anime and I lolled.

Good action flick though. I'd watch again.

Cabba
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cabba »

Yea, the Wachowski brothers got most of their ideas from 'Ghost in the shell'. They don't want to admit it though.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

ya the Matrix is pretty gut Image
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

jetbaby wrote:I just watched some show about anime or something and they showed a bunch of stills from the Matrix and Ghost in the Shell or a few other animes along side it and they had well over a dozen scenes that were nearly if not identical to the anime and I lolled.

Good action flick though. I'd watch again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4 that?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

No, not the show I saw =[

Our Host!