THE WITCHER - Being Polish? has never been this fun.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

THE WITCHER - Being Polish? has never been this fun.

Post by popscythe »

Good stuff. Totally does with the NWN2 engine what should have been done originally if bioware could write plotline that didn't fucking suck.

Discuss.
Last edited by popscythe on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Fucking witches has never been so much fun.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

First off, it wasn't made in russia it was made in poland. Also, bioware didn't make nwn2 and the game isn't based of nwn2 engine but nwn1 engine. gosh your such a noob.

Could you tell us a bit more how it is though? I want to play it eventually.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

found a bad torrent...will have an opinion soon...
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:First off, it wasn't made in russia it was made in poland. Also, bioware didn't make nwn2 and the game isn't based of nwn2 engine but nwn1 engine. gosh your such a noob.

Could you tell us a bit more how it is though? I want to play it eventually.
read some shit on the codex...and...aside form the standard furfest it sounds amazing. quoting one of the guys..."it sounds like the reviewer only played the game for 10 hours. maybe even 5. what a fucking moron."

That alone...fuck short new games.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Word around the office is that it's fucking amazing.

Edit: Then again, they like Halo 3, so that might not be a ringing endorsement.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Interesting. Well, that would explain why NWN2 sucked so hard but the witcher kicks so much ass.

First thing, I've been playing it really hard. Like unemployed hard. And I've just gotten into act 3 of 6. So I've put about 25 hours into it so far at the half way point. Also, I missed a few, maybe 1/8th or so of the quests. That's point two.

So you get some 50/50 choices, spoiler time, the first one is "Go with the mage to fight a mage or go with your fellow witchers to fight a monster". Not real exciting, until about five hours or so in the game it gives you the "fallout ending" flashback thing "Because of what you did, this happened" still-screen with voice over deal. And it actually changes the plotline, you'll gain/lose NPCS... I got this one dick drug dealer guy killed by a completely unrelated event, and then had to scrounge for years to find the info I needed. Except for the writing and the basis that your character, being a "professional monster hunter" gets sent on menial fucking tasks all the time, the quest system is as good as Fallout's, maybe more like NWN, without all the tutorial-y fucking bullshit. "Hi, I'm Pavel, fucking quit playing." Nah, it's real, real good.

Point three, Real time with pause. Hit space, choose your shit, ala NWN, BG2 whatever.

Four. The combat system is pretty good. Your guy knows these three combat styles, and starts wacking away when you click, right? Then after a few sword swings you'll get a "continue the combo" icon, and just need to click. You can click on the original target, new target, etc. Maybe pause, then switch to group mode as more opponents approach, then start hacking your way over towards them, then back to "strong" mode to beat the original guy down if he isn't dead.

The character system is okay. You get (at first) three "bronze talents" per level plus some bonus ones, which are spent on low level stuff. Like "Strength level 2, +10 attack, +10 damage, etc" or specific stuff related to your strong steel sword style, or fast silver sword style (you have one sword for monsters and one for humans and animals, no, the silver sword doesn't break from hitting humans)... It gets fairly specific for every talent you can pick, as eventually you start getting one silver talent per level and need to pick a focus, or build a jerkoff of all trades guy.

There's a magic system which blows, but each spell (like 6 total) can be leveled with talents, so you can be the fire master or something, there's an alchemy system which is cool, you can make potions, blade oils (temp buffs) and bombs for various uses.

So yeah, other than the terrible voice acting and reusage of character models constantly (fallout anyone) the game rules. It's a real RPG. Go. Get it.

Oh yeah, the opening cinema is fucking great. If you haven't seen it, it's probably on youtube.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

popscythe wrote:Point three, Real time with pause. Hit space, choose your shit, ala NWN, BG2 whatever.
See, I think this is a genius, and underused, system. But going by the Fallout 3 discussions here you'd think it was the work of Satan.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Subhuman wrote:See, I think this is a genius, and underused, system. But going by the Fallout 3 discussions here you'd think it was the work of Satan.
Because it is - in relation to Fallout. For Baldurs Gate and this shit I can withstand it though.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Prognosis indicates a circumnavigation of the censors via Europe. Anticipation. Not optimism. :drunk:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Real time with pause is indeed bollocks compared to real TB. One ends up with hack 'n slash RT with this system.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

http://www.playfuls.com/gamespace_148_d ... ailer.html
this was already posted but I suppose this thread needs it (if there's need for this thread anyway, is there? I'm prolly biased)

I don't like Witcher's 'action' aspect but (non-combat) solutions to problems and mature setting different from generic fantasy sound mmkay.
However perhaps dialgue has too few options sometimes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDzcItbjx7w
well this looks better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctrHjdoAzk
(go to 01:00 - it's in Polish but you can see the number of options. I like the dwarf's lines)
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Thor Kaufman wrote:One ends up with hack 'n slash RT with this system.
And it's totally shitty for stealth. Unless you're really into the game or something.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Strangely, I can't recall ever using TB for Stealth at all, ever. :M
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Yeah, B to the liggo, there's grips and grips of titties and muff in the game.

You can schlong any bitch that will hold still long enough to talk to you, and then you get a... picture card? Like a midevil softcore of her.

Dunno if it raises your stats bobblehead style or not... I kinda assumed it was a breather for those guys who got uptight over the fact that every female character has back breakers with hyper animated jiggle.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I'm trying with the witcher, and it's obviously got the right motives, but the writing is just... well, bad. Suffers from the same translation problems as usual - sub standard dialogue, conversations that frequently don't flow, and so on. Am afraid I can't recommend this game as highly as everyone else seems to - choice and consequence is fine, but - maybe I'm a gaming snob these days - but I just need the plot and dialogue to be better written. I'm gonna try the NWN2 expansion, whcih is supposed to do better in that department.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Suffers from the same translation problems as usual
and I'm going to play the original version :dance:
Our Host!