Beth artist thinks Fallout is BORING

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Beth artist thinks Fallout is BORING

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Just to add a bit of fire...</p><p><a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... user=59172" target="_self">TheGragster</a>, an artist at Bethesda, wrote a kind of <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... try9904780" target="_self">interesting post</a> yesterday where he spoke about how he had never played <em>Fallout</em> til recently, and when he did, he thought: </p><blockquote><p><em>[Fallout combat] feels like an excruciatingly slow Diablo. I don’t see it as being particularly more involving, just much, much slower.</em></p></blockquote><p>He did, however, make a point to say he has nothing to do with design or gameplay. So take from it what you will. There's no real substance to his comments, but I'm sure some of you would love to dissect them. Have at it!</p><p>Thanks to <strong>DaC-Sniper</strong> and <a href="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2007/04/3 ... -bethesda/" target="_self">Briosafreak's Blog</a>. </p>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

seems like I can read Bethesda's minds :rofl:

He probably just played the vault cave ^^
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

He´s a good example for that, how the average gamer think.

"Uhh SLOW COMBAT, I FEEL DUMB LOL 1!!1 GOTTA EAT FASTFOOD NOW! YUM YUM"

His post started good, though. Funny, how the community reacts, thats definitely the best quote:
Thank you. Believe it it not that's all I wanted to hear. With an attitude like that I guarantee I will buy the game. Not gonna guarantee I'm gonna like it. And I do disagree on the combat system. Rock it like a Vault Dweller.
"R0CK LIKA WAULT DWELLER LOL!!" "GUARTANE IM GONNA BUY THAT GAME; ROXXOR YOU BOXXOR"

D;

edit: Make Signatures, there is very signatureworthy stuff over there.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Beth artist thinks Fallout is BORING

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Hack n' Slash Art OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone wrote:"[Fallout combat] feels like an excruciatingly slow Diablo. I don’t see it as being particularly more involving, just much, much slower."
I don't know how this guy can come to conclusions about Fallout gameplay after only a couple of hours of experience. Thank God he's not on the mechanics team.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

More proof bethesda are fucking morons.
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

urgh. :chew:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Is he a inhouse artist or outside?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

frissy wrote:Is he a inhouse artist or outside?
Inside. He's this guy
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Brother None wrote:
frissy wrote:Is he a inhouse artist or outside?
Inside. He's this guy
He's the gay looking one in this picture:

Is he related to Sally Struthers?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

ADHD I WANT MORE TWITCH GAMING ROFL FPS
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Odd. Usually the artists like the background and the feel of things, not the action that much.

Oh well, i'm just a industrial designer practising graphical arts. What do I know. :?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
MRhappy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MRhappy »

It seems strange that he hasnt played much fallout, considering he's on the team. Even as an artist, there is a lot to be learned from fallouts art style. Also, its seems likely that he didnt use the combat speed metre :(
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Why should htey play the previous games, its not like they're going to consult them when making this newest spinoff.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Didn't Pete make it sound like EVERYONE working on this game was some sort of huge fallout fan?
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Pete is full of shit essay.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Didn't Pete make it sound like EVERYONE working on this game was some sort of huge fallout fan?
Yes, they are. The minute BethSoft upper management told them they were going to be working on Fallout 3, they became instant fans.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Mechanurgist, I love answering to your posts by posting your avatar, because it's giving me a headache (because you're so fucking right with what you say, that it hurts). So without further ado:

Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Demoralising.

My response on the Beth forums:

Ok.

The combat in Fallout was slow. It was very annoying when you faced 100 rats who all wanted to run away from you.

First off, you could speed it up in the oiptions menu, if you are new to Fallout you probably wouldn't have done that.

Secondly, just because it is turn based, doesn't mean it HAS to be slow. I'm not asking for the combat system to remain static since 1998. No one is, I think. We're asking for it to be kept turn based.

See, for instance, Throne of Elemental Evil for a much updated combat system that remains turn based, but has lots of tweaks and things that make it play a LOT faster. It just retains the thing about turn based we want - combat based solely on tactics rather than reflex, in keeping with a large part of what made Fallout great -the whole 'playing a board game' thing (the viewpoint is a big part of this as well), but removes annoyances like lots of enemies who don't particularly want to attack you (or even do). It reduces player 'downtime' whilst keeping it turn based.

TB combat is much more like a puzzle than a reflex thing that RT combat is. It's like a mini game of chess each time the combat starts, where you sit back and outwit and consider your options. People who want hardKORE Diablo or Oblivion action won't like that. My response? Screw 'em. Fallout wasn't meant to appeal to you, and keep the hell out of my game. 99.9% of the gaming market is designed for that sort of person - let's keep this 0.1% for us, eh?

Pretty please?
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Troubling.

However, while he's entitled to his opinion, he obviously doesn't know how to discern a gameplay genre, an obviously doesn't know quality when it kicks him in the groin.

I hope someone smacks him at work.
Testicular Pugilist
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Representing realtime combat:

Our Host!