First Fallout memories

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
williamnixon
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by williamnixon »

First time I played Fallout, I got to the end, where the master is sitting in the commanderchair, yeah you know... the thing is, I thought it was easy as hell coming that far (didn't do any sidequests AT ALL), though my level was reeeally low. Anyway, I almost had him, and then he shot me in the eyes and I was blind. The last saved game I had was like in necropolis or something. So, that sucked.

Yeah.
Meuh. <br>
myspace.com/themarycoxx
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

The demo, and blowing everyone in junktown away with the minigun.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah, me too. That was great. The demo in itself is awesome.
Flotsam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flotsam »

My first Fallout memory comes from the demo in all its glory. I had the 'nuke craze' going for me in 2001, and the name caught my eye. I got it off Fileplanet, and thus began the downward slide. I played through the demo about 3 times a day, always trying to save Junktown in some new fashion. I felt the fury of the minigun, and killed everything in junktown to try and scrounge up enough exp to gain a level, fired bursts into crowds and became hooked on the game.

But it would be 2 years before a strange package found its way to my room, and in the time between I learned EVERYTHING about Fallout. Armor stats, ammo DR mods, weapon damage.. Everything but the plot. I got this all from the Gamespy fallout site, and it was instrumental in my playing the game.

I finally got the game in double pack form, and rejoiced. I put both on the biggest install (removed Arcanum just to do so) and began to see the glory. I had played RPGs before, and I knew what I wanted. I took fast shot and kamikaze, maxed out agility and gutted luck. (At the time I thought kamikaze would make you go faster). I was amazed at being able to swing faster with brass knuckles then my fists, and boy was it fun.

Junktown was the best thing I found, since it was everything I pictured fallout being.. Wrecked cars, shacks, raiders, sin. I had the advantage of the demo, so I could dig in sans silverware and blow the military base in time to see the vault die of thirst. (I couldn't find the Necropolis vault)
My Lost Shadow
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Paradise on my right, Hell on my left and the Angel of Death behind.

Post by My Lost Shadow »

What can I say... my first Fallout experience was kinda strange because I played it after Baldur's Gate. Of course I created the first caracter with caution (NOT) and died very early in the game so I gave it up and started playing BG again. This all was happening in 2000 if I remember right. One day a friend brought me Fallout 2 and started playing it with Narg and I actualy finished the game so I decided for restart Fallout 1 and see what it was all about and maybe (just maybe) finish it; how wrong could I be... I managed to get the watter chip but I never managed to kill the Master (this is what happens if you want to be a ninja-assasin and build up on melee combat to much) so I kinda quit (no, usualy I'm not a quiter).
I also remember trying to get a FPS fan to play Fallout 2 and he almost got brutal on me for giving him "such a dumn, stupid and annoying game" to play, but I got over it.
Now I just finished Fallout 2 (I think it's the eight time I do it) and I swear that I WILL FINISH FALLOUT 1 even if it takes me one year or more...
Over and out.
Forever here, even when not present!
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I remember the first time I killed the master I filled it full of rockets from my akimbo rocket launchers. :clap:
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

I remember when a friend to me showed me Fallout 2 - we were perhaps 10 years old. We went straight south from Arroyo, because we had no idea how to do anything right in the beginning, and got shot by "Batman" with some purple thing in the dark, not having any idea what a Enclave soldier or Pulse pistol was. From then, I have loved this game boundlessly.

I know you're going to kill me for this, but I didn't play Fallout 1 until maybe one or two years later. :)
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Picked up the original Fallout back in Winter of '98. I was 13. I had never been an RPG fan (Elves and magic never got me excited). I still don't play any RPGs.

Anyway the Intro blew my mind. I already was a huge fan of Mad Max and I loved the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting. I started the game and the rats killed me god knows how many times. Once I walked out of the cave the text came up " For the first time in your life you see natural sunlight" or something to that effect.

Made it to Vault 15 first and had no idea that I could click on the ladder to climb down. So I went back to the unknown green area that turned out to be Klamath... Talked to a few people and not knowing about Ian, I headed to the Den... I thought that it was amazing to actually be a part of the world. Everything I did changed the reactions of the people around me. I had my spear out in Klamath and the guard wouldn't talk to me because of it. Incredible!
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

The year was 2000, I had no friends, I was in a new town, and would not have contact with the female of the species for a while, having been seperated from my childhood friends, and Twin Rivers, good food at school, and any chance of being among equals(In common sense(oft surpassed but seldom equaled), and intellect)

My mom got two games, I was pretty excited by the fact that it was not one-but-two TBRPGs, mom was also excited.

She put in the CD and was depressed by the intro, never touched it again, never thought of it, until it was gone(not removed, GONE.) and we had lost the CDs(still have the case.)

Now, onto the game:.....It was a dark and stormy night, I had tagged Unarmed(thought weapons would break), Doctor(Fix my fists, heal my buddies), and Speech, I tried to talk to the vault control, attempting to ask for maps and crap, completely unaweare of the rats, I spent three turns attempting to talk to a control panel that clearly had a panel and camera, I died, I then tagged Melee, Small Guns, and Doctor, I had unlimited power, until I forgot to rest, Mole rats eat my stupid ass, reload, I then managed to get to Shady Sands, I then got Ian in my party(Speech route.), I then went to vault 15, Ian nearly kills me with a SMG, then runs away, I heal, I talk to Ian, asking him why the hell did he shoot me, I laughed when he said "I don't know what you are talking about", the end.
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
ghendar
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ghendar »

Hmm, let's see. I remember reading the review in PC Gamer and was impressed that they gave it such a high review but I didn't buy it because I wanted to play fantasy CRPGs, not post apocalyptic ones.

Fast forward an indeterminate amount of time, I saw FO1 in Toys R Us on sale for $25 and i bought it on a whim. Took a couple weeks to actually install it but when I did, i became instantly hooked and a fan for life. I promptly forced my cousins to play it. They loved it as well.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

I can't really remember my first time playing Fallout. Although I do remember having fun replaying the demo a bazillion times. xD It was especially fun playing around with the targeted shots.

I recently replayed Fallout with a somewhat "newbie" outlook. As in, I went to places only after finding them. It took FOREVER to find Necropolis this way. There is so much actual mis-information regarding the water chip. I even thought, "Well a newbie might think to go to the brotherhood for a water chip or information about it" so I went to the glow and looted it (with Rad proof Ian in tow).

I finally thought that maybe Harold told where it was (I can't remember who does tell you...) and I asked him which vault he was from. He said he come from one maybe to the east... or west. He couldn't remember. I went east and there it was.

Now, I've played the game a TON of times and I know exactly where Necropolis is, but the game is more fun if you play like you don't know everything. :-)

I finally got tired of my character and rushed through the rest of the game. I had the dumb mutie in Necropolis (now invaded) take me to Lou, entered combat mode to get away (absolute cheese but oh well), deted the base and left with Ian, Dogmeat, Tycho, AND Kayja intact. Tycho and Ian were both gibbed on the stairway at the Cathedral. >.< Then poor Dogmeat and Katja were sawn in half by laser fire just before I got to the Master.

At the end, I entered combat mode so I could kill the overseer. I actually missed with the plasma gun. :-P I then switched to the combat shotgun since I thought you might not could kill him with a non-normal weapon and bursted him.

I remember the 2nd time I played through the game (or 3rd?) I grabbed a couple Rad X as soon as I could and went to the Glow for the uber stuff. Fun times.... ^_^

I still remember figuring out how to kill all the robots even after you get the power restored. So cheap. They really shouldn't give EXP for killing something that can't fight back.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
StEaLtH_BoY3000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by StEaLtH_BoY3000 »

Hmmm.... I would say that getting the Gatling gun, blowing the raiders away with a minigun in F1, and the overseer being a complete douche in the end were my main memories of Fallout 1.
Have faith in Fallout 3, so when it comes out, you run and scream and start an angry mob, justified that you started out peacefully.
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

My first memories were of Tandi, beautiful supple Tandi.. but don't forget the raider leader Gharl.

And also of Gizmo! May that rat bastard rest in pieces! Killian Darkwater FTW!!!
Our Host!