Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Splatterpope wrote:For a start, they're taking a gaming series with quite possibly.. No, THE most fanatical fan base to date, and developing a sequel. And this isn't some normal established franchise where you can make a sequel, and it will be carried on the success of it's predecessors shoulders by default. Oh no. In this case if the formula doesn't gel perfectly, it will be an absolute failure in every sense of the word.
I liken Bethesda taking on Fallout to a kid in high school art class admiring Leonardo Da Vinci's work and making his own piss-poor quality Mona Lisa. He thinks it's a good work of art and he thinks that what he's doing is paying homage but really, it's just a piece of piss-poor shit by a kid who can't paint. It's like playing with your Transformer toys and going "Wow. Cool. BANG" as you create your own story where everyone dies, while completely missing the real beauty that is Transformers. :drunk:

Point is, everything that's great about Fallout, Bethesda suck at. Now that goes right across the board from the often touted story and setting to the little things like death animations. Ever seen a 3d FPS where you get to blow the bad guys into itty bitty chunks? Quake did a good job at that but most games just make the bad guys fall over dead these days. Something about getting that Teen rating I guess. Ever had a quest in Morrowind or Bethesda that wasn't railed schlock, holding your hand all along the way? Fallout was all about messing up but still being able to succeed. Hell, you can pick the Jinxed trait and still get through if you persist enough. The fact that there even is such a trait goes to Fallout's design. Compare that all to things like Oblivion's writing "I SAW A MUDCRAB YESTERDAY!" Simply amazing.
Splatterpope wrote:Next, they're completely changing aforementioned formula. Though it seems hazy at the moment, the details we can see on the horizon are.. Well, a completely different game. Sure, it's post apocalyptic. I'm sure they'll even try to integrate the story, setting, humor and all that. But all signs point to first person, real time action. Whilst opening many doors in terms of settings and gameplay, they're changing game dynamics in such a way that the consequences will only be seen when they put the final cut to market.
Make no mistake, Fallout 3 will come out and it will sell. The same people that buy Fallout 3 also bought and loved Oblivion. Light entertainment without much thinking required.
Splatterpope wrote:I guess the final thing I'd have to say about them putting their necks on the line, is that they really are putting their necks on the line, in more ways than one. Of course as a company, for if they release something sub-par, not only will they spoil their (arguably) perfect track record
If you can even argue that Bethesda have a perfect track record, you're admitting that Fallout 3 won't make a dent in their perception. FO3 will be the same empty world that Oblivion is and people will love it. We'll all hate it like we hate Oblivion but we'll be outnumbered.
Splatterpope wrote:But the danger that I'd be most concerned about, is the very real threat of physical retribution. It may sound laughable(To most of you.. maybe..),
but when I say the fans of this game are fanatical.. Well, I know this one guy from back in my year 9 class. He lodged a pen in our classmates eye for spilling coke on his fallout survival manual.
Chuck Cuevas had to turn off his phone or something because Fallout fans were ringing Interplay and making death threats after the release of FO:BOS (the console one, not the Tactics one). Though I can't say I'd ever care enough to do anything other than write a long-winded article myself.
Splatterpope wrote:So, introductory blather aside, what do you feel that the market and real world consequences are of Bethesda's taking up our beloved?
If Fallout 3 does by some miracle fail, we'll get the blame. "Nutty fans", "bad franchise", "shouldn't have made that game", "fans killed it". There'll also be blame put on the setting. "D00d Post-Apocalyptic games don't sell, you need more elves". In short, if Fallout 3 succeeds it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds and if it fails it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds, just with more elves. It's a lose-lose situation.

Now, I enjoy my empty time-passing crap as much as the next guy but I haven't had a decent dose of a game like Fallout since Fallout 2 was released. Don't you think it's time someone tried to do something about that, rather than turning a franchise known for it's deep setting and interesting choices into meaningless RPG-light schlock?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's a man's chin. She looks incredibly like Chyna from those photos - ofcourse it doesn't help that her skin is apperently made of reflective material or something as you can barely see her. Also - Her jeans have holes in em, where'd you find her, a homeless shelter? A timewarp into the 80's?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

hahah. walt's post is wildly outta context.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

And yet, it makes more sense than most..
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

multiple tabs, huh B)
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Lack of context is what's in, or so I'm told.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Did the voice smell of bleach, Walt ?

Poor choice to listen to that voice. :drunk:
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

If Fallout 3 does by some miracle fail, we'll get the blame. "Nutty fans", "bad franchise", "shouldn't have made that game", "fans killed it". There'll also be blame put on the setting. "D00d Post-Apocalyptic games don't sell, you need more elves". In short, if Fallout 3 succeeds it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds and if it fails it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds, just with more elves. It's a lose-lose situation.

Now, I enjoy my empty time-passing crap as much as the next guy but I haven't had a decent dose of a game like Fallout since Fallout 2 was released. Don't you think it's time someone tried to do something about that, rather than turning a franchise known for it's deep setting and interesting choices into meaningless RPG-light schlock?
[/quote]
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

Quoting DU is what's in, or so I'm told.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

There'll also be blame put on the setting. "D00d Post-Apocalyptic games don't sell, you need more elves". In short, if Fallout 3 succeeds it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds and if it fails it's going to lead to more light, thoughtless and empty first-person gameworlds, just with more elves.
That's what really pisses me off: the fucking elves. I like most other fantasy creatures, but I despise elves. For one thing, they're conservative bastards, too into themselves to get out of the fucking trees and build some technology. They're also too "image of perfection". I don't WANT fantasy creatures to be perfect: I want them to be all fucked up physically, or insane, or something else. Not conservative fuckers who aren't berated for anything.

I could blame the idea of elves as "perfect" for skewing my view of the LOTR trilogy of films - they're completely politically against my line of thinking, plus they're ridiculous - anti-industrialisation? Fuck off back to your hovel. I'll still drive my car.

Also, there should NEVER be absolute good or absolute evil in any sort of story, or computer game, or movie or any bit of creative or literary thing. Good and evil are subjective. I berate any person who comes up with absolute good or absolute evil in the modern world. I hate fantasy angels as well, by the way.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

RAK wrote:Also, there should NEVER be absolute good or absolute evil in any sort of story, or computer game, or movie or any bit of creative or literary thing. Good and evil are subjective. I berate any person who comes up with absolute good or absolute evil in the modern world. I hate fantasy angels as well, by the way.
Try reading The Black Company series, or Doom Brigade. Both fantasy stories are about groups who aren't bad guys but not exactly good guys either.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Dragonlance? D:
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Doom Brigade is Dragonlance. The Black Company isn't.

Oh. Scared of elves? There are none in Doom Brigade. I realize they might freak out some of the more sensitive DAC members.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'm familiar with The Black Company series, but.. you actually read Dragonlance? Dragonlance? Dragonlance?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Yes. I've only read a few so far. Elven Nations Trilogy Volume 2, the war of the lance trilogy (about Tanis and friends), and of course Doom Brigade.

I got a bunch of fantasy books on eBay and I've been reading them in my spare time. Also a few Forgotten Realms books too! The Moonshae Isles books are good (Tristan & Robyn).

Our Host!