Canyon City

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Weasel
SDF!
SDF!

Canyon City

Post by Weasel »

This has probably already been posted, but how do I destroy the power nodes in Canyon City? I tried shooting them and using a remote detonator to blow it up, but they just repair themselves after a few minutes.
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

ok you can do it the hard way, or the easy way.

Hard Way: Since there are 6 power nodes, and you should have 6 squad members, place one squad member at each power node and tell them to attack it. That way you will have all of them destroyed.

Easy Way: Put the exposive pack next to each one on the same frequency, and simply blow them all up at once.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

You need to destroy all the power nodes at the same time.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

ArchVile wrote:ok you can do it the hard way, or the easy way.

Hard Way: Since there are 6 power nodes, and you should have 6 squad members, place one squad member at each power node and tell them to attack it. That way you will have all of them destroyed.

Easy Way: Put the exposive pack next to each one on the same frequency, and simply blow them all up at once.
Grrrrrr..........That's twice that's happened to me!

oh well, just beat me to the punch.

Hey, I like your handle......*memories of Doom 2*
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

third way: i read somewhere that if you have a high enough science skill, you can disable the power nodes one at a time - using the science skill
ArchVile
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ArchVile »

hmmm i should try that next time around, it might give you extra XP. And is there a way to DISABLE the nuclear reactor at Buena Vista? Not blow it up, disable it.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Nutter wrote:third way: i read somewhere that if you have a high enough science skill, you can disable the power nodes one at a time - using the science skill
Interesting. I've never heard that. I think I'll check that out later and let "y'all" know.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Nutter wrote:third way: i read somewhere that if you have a high enough science skill, you can disable the power nodes one at a time - using the science skill
If that works, then that could open up some extra possibilities for user-maps (i.e. the PCs assault an enemy base and commandeer the equipment instead of destroying it all).

Innnnnnnnteressssssssssssssting...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, I ran an experiment last night and I found out that the Science skill can indeed be used to disable Power Node entities. However, it does not permanently kill them, so if you're looking to knock them all out this way you would have to have either one hot-shot who hot-footed it around the map after it had been cleared, or you would have to have several people who are adept at Science. The entities are set to a skill modifier of 80, you'd need a 120 to have a 40% chance to knock a node out per attempt.

Thanks for the heads up, Nutter!

Archvile: I think that the chap I had who was using Science did receive some XP for using his Science skill, but it was on subsequent attempts. I think it basically uses the same principle as normal Science Switches. If you're looking for a boost, the extra XP are hardly worth it.

Max_=Violence: You know, you could always set the Node's AC very high and assign it a shite-load of HP and only a "middlin'" Skill Difficulty (just enough to keep Science duffers from tripping it). This would make it well worth someone's while to use Science rather than wasting tons of explosives and/or ammunition on the nodes. Of course, most people don't know about this little nugget...

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:Max_=Violence
Oh, yer funny :P

What I meant was to make it a mission objective to make sure that no harm comes to the power node, but still have to disable it in order to complete the mission (i.e. the power node enables the bad guys to use sentry turrets, so if the PCs disable the power node, the BoS can move in and take over, using the turrets for themselves).

Or something...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Sounds like a good idea MaxViolence.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Oh, yer funny :P
I know. :mrgreen:

Looks like you'll have to mod your sig now. :lol:
Max-Violence wrote:What I meant was to make it a mission objective to make sure that no harm comes to the power node, but still have to disable it in order to complete the mission (i.e. the power node enables the bad guys to use sentry turrets, so if the PCs disable the power node, the BoS can move in and take over, using the turrets for themselves).
Yes, I figured you meant something like that. I was making another suggestion is all. However, you will note that when you use the Science skill on the Power Nodes they do indeed get knocked out and the arms start to repair them, just as though you'd blasted them. You might want to give Canyon City's triggers a monkey-see-monkey-modify to fit your needs. (Incidentally, I have the same problem w/the tiles not displaying initially w/this mission that I have w/Preoria. The Ctrl + F4 and right click on an entity trick works, though.)

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

TheReaper wrote:Sounds like a good idea MaxViolence.
Smart-ass :P
OnTheBounce wrote:Looks like you'll have to mod your sig now.
Yep, I've counted 3 smart-ass remarks about it (you, DaReaper, and Red), so I'll have to come up with something that is at least somewhat smart-ass proof.

Hmmmm....

Anyway, when I use the science skill/power node thing, I'll use the version of the power node without the auto-repairing ability. Less headaches, and it will fit in better with my idea(s).
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Max-Violence wrote:
TheReaper wrote:Sounds like a good idea MaxViolence.
Smart-ass :P
Always :D
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

you know, i figured there was a good reason for all those "big books of science" lying around everywhere... =)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Yep, and don't forget that with a high Science skill, the character criticals more against robots. That's a very good thing :mrgreen:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!