Two years on VAN BUREN IS ALLLIIIIVE

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Two years on VAN BUREN IS ALLLIIIIVE

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 3 (Van Buren)">Game: Fallout 3 (Van Buren)</a>

<p>Haha, no, really. It's another dead Van Buren thingie at NMA. This
time it's a design doc for the dead area of Denver that was due to
appear in the dead game that was cancelled and made dead some time back in the dark ages. You can <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=687" target="_self">download it here</a> - I haven't done so, so can't pick out a quote apart from the one <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... 9197ec8ee7" target="_self">NMA pasted on their front page</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em><span class="postbody">Denver is a pre-War city that was being rebuilt
when the War started; prisoners on work release salvage what they can
from the city while evading huge packs of hungry dogs that roam the
streets.
The city consists of 3-4 large maps, with 10-15 smaller maps or
floorplans DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD</span><span class="postbody"> </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span><span class="postbody">DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD </span></em><em><span class="postbody">(covering various buildings and high-rise floors). The
salvagers are about 20 NCR former prisoners on a special work release
program, salvaging stuff for NCR in exchange for their eventual
freedom. The dogs are the now-feral descendents of local pets and
specially-bred police dogs. Rats, giant cockroaches, mutant bats, and
climbing lizards are common hazards, as well as robot police dogs sent
to enforce the "quarantine" on the PC.</span></em></p>
</blockquote>
<p> That's a more or less accurate representation.

</p>
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

This thing is actually pretty interesting. It gives a real insight into not just this game, but how a game is made in general.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

In other words, there's plenty of everything in it?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Maybe I should take a look at it. Though you can guess my first reaction...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

We don't have to guess it, you showed it to us D:
As for me, I won't bother.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

It's pretty interesting. Well at least the npc part just for the pics.
Seems to be watching you with a smug smile. "Could be a OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone!" says Avellone.
There's also a lot of stuff about the story and other stuff. Like they would have liked Ron Perlman to read shit and the end could have had you nuking a city from orbit. There's also details of Boulder, the Hoover dam a Reservation full of ghouls and NCR owning the world map. Sounded like a goodish game and there'd be sky-boxes and stuff and a load of individual models oh well.

Any more?
:chew:
Odin
Respected
Respected

Post by Odin »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Maybe I should take a look at it. Though you can guess my first reaction...
It's good to see you're still a angry little child.
Webmaster@NMA
Jora
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jora »

It's a very interesting read. I encourage everyone to read it even if they aren't interested in the game anymore.
The Cool Shit section is just that -- what's cool about this area? For starters, you should be able to say in one or two sentences why a player would remember this location. If you were a player, what would make you want to play this location? What would make you glad you played this location?

What keeps the PC coming back? More stuff to loot, more trading with the salvagers. The Box. Dealing with Bombay Jack. The NCR guys. Working on fixing the train. Starting trade agreements with the salvagers & NCR. Convincing them to go to New Canaan to work.

Handouts: Riot & plague documents, background on the DCPD K-9 program, correspondence from before the war (the woman writing to her soldier husband, for example).

Vehicles: If we go with the police car option, this is the place to get it, since we have a police station motor pool with several vehicles that can be salvaged for parts.

Train: If you get the train running, you can take it anywhere from Fort Abandon to Boulder immediately, but any other place (Hoover Dam, Reservation, New Canaan) requires working to repair the tracks that are out along the way.
I would have liked to play that game.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Odin wrote:
Mr. Teatime wrote:Maybe I should take a look at it. Though you can guess my first reaction...
Gee, thanks Odin! It's good to see that you... no, wait, I can't think of anything that fits.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Hm, yeah.. Looks pretty neat, I'll have to read through the rest of it tomorrow.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Mr. Teatime wrote:
Odin wrote:
Gee, thanks Odin! It's good to see that you... no, wait, I can't think of anything that fits.
Must you two fight? Its so....immature.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I'm not gonna make it into a flamewar. When someone comes onto a site I run and starts with insults, especially if they run NMA, I have difficulty leaving it. But yeah. I'm not going to be provoked here any more.
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Ummm, ok, and this isn't a bit immature?
Haha, no, really. It's another dead Van Buren thingie at NMA
No flame on my part, but if you're that opposed to covering a "dead" game, why post this newsbit?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well, we cover Auto Assault and I can't say I'm that interested in it. It's not just stuff I like that I post about, it's FO/PA stuff.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's for others in the community who might be interested in it.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

These Van Buren documents are little more than fan fiction.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

• That design doc is 4 years old.
  • It's like someone's hoping Van Buren will be made by a mod team or something. If all of this info is released by the time Bethesda's FO3 is out, it's likely that might happen.
  • It's an interesting doc from a design perspective. Lets us in on what real developers get up to.
  • It's 4 years old.
  • It's great but seriously, what's the point?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Wolfman Walt wrote: It's for others in the community who might be interested in it.
It's kind of like Goatse/Tubgirl. DAC seems to "go" for that, but like you said, what's the point?
Odin
Respected
Respected

Post by Odin »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Well I'm not gonna make it into a flamewar. When someone comes onto a site I run and starts with insults, especially if they run NMA, I have difficulty leaving it. But yeah. I'm not going to be provoked here any more.
So the fact that you post a newsbit that is basicly a flame towards NMA doesn't count as starting a flamewar, hmm...interesting.

I've always said you're consistent.
Webmaster@NMA
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

As I said, you're not gonna provoke me, Mr. Odin! It's certainly a flame toward the Van Buren corpse pumping, but you're free to interpret it how you will, I can't be bothered attempting to change your mind.

As for the design doc, it's years old, for a game that never will be released. It's like a mod team writing up a story about a town they liked. I guess it's a small insight into how a dev team works, but still, I was tired of van buren years ago.
Our Host!