FoT Weapon modding

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
SkynetV4
SDF!
SDF!

FoT Weapon modding

Post by SkynetV4 »

I am newbish Fallout Tactics modder-wannabe. I'm trying to add some new weapons to the game so that they use their own pictures. I have Spray 1.1, Photoshop 7 and BoSEE. I followed Domin's instructions for importing pictures into Spray but the instructions give an Access Violation in Module Spray.exe and some memory addresses. I already scoured the NMA and this forum for a tutorial on adding weapons to the game but didn't find one. The most promising post didn't have the tutorial it touted it had. I'm basically a newbie with Photoshop, unable to cook the magic other people can. If anyone can provide good instructions and have patience with a determined Photoshop-challenged fellow Fallout fan?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Have you opened up an existing sprite or are you trying to import the raw and act files into a blank document? With spray you can only edit sprites not create ones from scratch, so copy and rename a sprite that has the same number of frames as you require then try importing your raw and act files.

The only tutorial I know of is linked in the tutorial stickied thread, otherwise maybe one of the sprite makers maybe come by in the near future.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
SkynetV4
SDF!
SDF!

Sprites

Post by SkynetV4 »

Ok, I understood you right, I should load a similar weapon raw image (say, I'm adding a revolver) and load the revolver that uses .454 Casull ammo (don't remember the name) in Photoshop...paste the gun I'm trying to add over that image and save it as raw format loaded it in Spray?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

No, you can't make a new sprite from scratch nor can you add frames to a sprite, so if you're making a weapon sprite copy the sprite of a similar weapon, if you're making a container sprite copy an existing container etc.

If you're making a revolver make a copy of the cascull sprite, rename it revolver.spr (for example), make your raw and act files from your new image then open the revolver.spr in spray then import the new raw and act files you've made. Adjust the bounding box and image sizes etc and then save. If you were making a new rifle you'd copy one of the existing rifle sprites and then import your new images in to that.
SkynetV4
SDF!
SDF!

Trouble

Post by SkynetV4 »

Ok, I opened the Casull spr file in Spray. I created the raw file and exported the palette from photoshop 7. When I import the image from my raw file, the image in Spray gets garbled. I've tried deleting the guibig image and guismall images from Spray and importing mine. All thats left is the default mini image that the game uses to display the revolver on the floor. I used the magic wand in Photoshop to select the background and the gun...the image still gets garbled in Spray. I tried doing a reverse select in Photoshop to just outline the gun and saved that as a new channel. The problem comes when I import the images in Spray, the images already in the Casull spr load over min and the image gets garbled. Damn I feel dumb, I have a feeling I'm making a mistake somewhere...I just don't know where. My steps: open jpg I'm gonna edit in PS7. Use magic wand and select inverse to select the gun and not the background. Save the selection as a new channel. Reduce the image to...100x50 for example. Change the image to indexed color and export the palette. Save the file as raw with no header and interleaved mode. Open the spr file in Spray and import the big image and palette...the image overlaps with mine and looks very garbled. If you can reccomend me an image hosting place, I'll take shots of the process so you can tell me where I'm going wrong if you want.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

I don't have photoshop myself so I can't help you with that, but I do know that when you import a new image into spray you need to also import the act file otherwise the palette will be mucked up. Plus under the preview image you've got the bounding box/dimensions section. You'll need to alter those as well, the width is the biggest culprit, if that's not correct your image will be garbled and more than likely the sprite will crash the game. Try adjust the figures until you get a decent result.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

In spray

Just enter the actual size of the image in the bounding box info area in pixcells.

Don't forget to allign the big and small GUI images.

The image should look just like the one in your graphics editor minus the background.

that should clear up the size problem.
SkynetV4
SDF!
SDF!

Progress at last

Post by SkynetV4 »

Ha! You guys rule! Finally figured out the spray interface and managed to make a functional colt python elite. The revolver itself doesn't look shabby at all, considering the rest of the weapons in the game were modeled and not made from real images, so the weapons ingame don't have any natural bright spots which I managed to cover pasting adjacent squares...it looks funky but only if you zoom too much which you can't do in the game. I tried to go overboard and make customer ammunition calibers for every gun that required those but after a very unsuccesfull attempt with .357 ammo (the small gui pic ended up looking like something a retard would make in paint) I took conscience of my limits and decided to limit myself to 2 or 3 special ammunition calibers (mainly the .22 WMR for the American 180, 20mm for the RT-20 Croatian rifle and maybe the lapua .308). However a friend of mine will have to tutor me in PS7 because many of the guns are looking like shit when converted. Thanks for your support and I'll try to learn more about Photoshop...maybe I'll release this mod if I deem it good enough for public release.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

sounds good hombre keep at it the more mods the better :)
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Always good to see there's new blood around.
You guys keep it up!
I can't post too often due to other engangements, but as soon I'm done with them, I plan to return and finish my work.

Probably along with FO3 :crazy: , but it's something.
I have a suggestion for the mods...make JJ86's thread sticky, it'll help a lot many new people as it's of the best around.

cheers!
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:No, you can't make a new sprite from scratch nor can you add frames to a sprite, so if you're making a weapon sprite copy the sprite of a similar weapon, if you're making a container sprite copy an existing container etc.

If you're making a revolver make a copy of the cascull sprite, rename it revolver.spr (for example), make your raw and act files from your new image then open the revolver.spr in spray then import the new raw and act files you've made. Adjust the bounding box and image sizes etc and then save. If you were making a new rifle you'd copy one of the existing rifle sprites and then import your new images in to that.
hi requiem !

I had go through jj86 tutorial on making sprites ...

Extracts from jj86 tutorial...

2. You can start out with a minimum of two different images and their corresponding palette files. Name them appropriately:
AK47big.raw
AK47big.act
AK47default.raw
AK47default.act

dun really understand point 2 , the raw file is converted from photoshop , what about the act. file ? is it the raw file saved as / rename as act. format ?

ps : finally got photoshop 6 , today is my 1st day trying to create new sprites , hope u can help mi. thks in advance. : )
It's about *beep*in' time some backup got here! Quote by Paladin Solo. ( FOT )

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=762
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

The act file is the palette file, and that's about all I know. I don't have photoshop so how you make an act file, I have no idea. Either there's an option to export it as an act or you export it as a pal file and then rename it.
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:The act file is the palette file, and that's about all I know. I don't have photoshop so how you make an act file, I have no idea. Either there's an option to export it as an act or you export it as a pal file and then rename it.
thks for replying requiem , I figure out already.

stills need lots of practice/trial and error , to create some decent looking sprites.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

hi all !

need help on using photoshop for editing pics. for making sprites for fot.

how do u remove the trigger/trigger guard area from a gun pic. ?

dun really know how to do it , partial sucessful in making gun sprites but with a background colour at the trigger/trigger guard area.

ps : tried colouring the trigger/trigger guard area , highlight with the magic wand and deleting the trigger/trigger area. but , there's still a white patch.

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Hold down shift and use the magic wand to select the area inside the trigger guard when you select the area outside of the gun. Then inverse the selection and continue normally.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

Retlaw83 wrote:Hold down shift and use the magic wand to select the area inside the trigger guard when you select the area outside of the gun. Then inverse the selection and continue normally.
still dun really understand what u trying to say , have to do it separately from the background is it ? can u pls explain.

ps : mi following jj86 tutorial.

updated :

retlaw83 thks a lot man !!! it's ok already !!! :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh:

Our Host!