Six New Shots From The Fall

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Core Puzzle
Regular
Regular

Post by Core Puzzle »

Bobbin wrote:As much as I love TB...
So we can agree that we all love TB, which is nice, but Real-Time sells so that's what's being made. Ack? It'd be like a rock band who loves rock music, but decides to switch their drumset for a synthesizer, because there's a big young market for music with a lame techno beat attached.
I'm pretty amazed how stubborn people are around here to defend games like Silent Storms as if they were personally engaged with them.
Eh? May i quote the person who brought up this game first?
Carsten Strehse wrote: A good example for a new (and great!) TB game that isn't selling is Silent Storm. All reviews are between 80 and 90 % and everybody was talking about it, but nobody except the TB fans buy it. The game is really huge fun, but nobody cares. The dev may go broke.
People argued that the game DID in fact sell well, and that the developer are not about to go broke. Where did that stubborn engagement crap come from?
Here in Germany Silent Storm is ranked 1300 at Amazon and outsold 6:1 by the Fallout Collection which is ranked 220. Doesn't sound succesful to me.
On Amazon.com and co.uk it's ranked 195 and 134. Sounds mildly succesful to me.
I also find it funny why people constantly bash on the only COMMERCIAL developer which still does pa games
Everyone thinks Fallout fans automatically loves any game that's PA. A Post Apoc environment can house just as bad a game as any other genre, but that's all far besides the point, since the Post Apocalyptic environment was never criticized here.
I think Carsten should back out and do fantasy stuff, sells much better and fantasy fans are not so whiny about their genre.
Hehe, that's always what it comes down to. THE FILTHY CAPITALIST GREENS! But you're right, fantasy fans would do what they always do when a new fantasy game is released, bend over and take one for the team.
300k worldwide? What an impressing number.
Well no, it's not impressing.

However, it's quite impressing to have an idea for a game you're burning to do, and actually doing it. As many have mentioned before, RT vs. TB does not make or break a game, and a different combat system isn't gonna save a game from total bomb-nation. If you do indeed love Turn-Based that much, and have enjoyed many a game with TB, then you should be able to implement a well-constructed Turn-Based combat system, based on the experiences you've had with it in the past.

Going with Real-Time because of money, to me, seems like a poor excuse for not knowing your ass from a turn, in a turn-based fight.
Chuckie Chuckie 5 dollaz?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I bet Carsten has a Keyboard +5 Fire dmg, that'S why he owns you.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Bobbin wrote:
Exitium wrote:JAGGED ALLIANCE 2
Sir-Tech is dead. Strategy First is talking for over one year to do another Jagged Alliance without anything happening.
Yet Strategy First actually decided to buy the license for the game and release new versions of it and a new expansion pack for it. JA2 was the biggest selling game for TalonSoft for a long time as well.
I think most of you never played SOA. It's a fun game and it shows that Silver Style has learned from Gorasul. It has its problems in the voice department but otherwise the game has a very well designed interface and good missions.
The demo sucked so bad, I didn't even bother with the full version.
As much as I love TB I'm pretty amazed how stubborn people are around here to defend games like Silent Storms as if they were personally engaged with them.
Kind of like how you're defending Silver Style, Soldiers of Anarchy, etc?
Doesn't sound succesful to me. 300k worldwide? What an impressing number.
Considering it was just released in North America, I'd say that's impressive. It'd only take 100k sales in the United States and Canada for it to beat out Soldiers of Anarchy, which is going on almost two years old now.
Success in Russia? Hey, the most important market in the world.
A buyer is a buyer, regardless of their nationality.
I also find it funny why people constantly bash on the only COMMERCIAL developer which still does pa games (SOA was also one).
Last I checked, Interplay put out a PA game recently and we bashed it. There's ShadowVault, which is post apocalyptic and in development from Mayhem Studios. There's also Apocalyptica, which was made by Extreme FX and published by Konami. Then there's Phase: Exodus, which is being made by Horns and Hoofs and is turn based.

Want me to keep going?

Silver Style most certainly isn't the only one making post apocalyptic games.
I think Carsten should back out and do fantasy stuff, sells much better and fantasy fans are not so whiny about their genre.
Yeah, they're just whiny in general.
------------------
Mikail
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Mikail »

Carsten Strehse wrote:Mmh... I'll take your feedback very serious.

Please take a look at this characters picture:

http://www.the-fall.com/makingof.php?artwork=14

The ones in the shots are just smaller version of them (in general, not every character on the picture is also on one of the shots).

Do you like the quality of characters on the big picture? If yes, it's hard for us to improve something on the smaller versions of them. If not I'm open for your suggestions.
The big portraits look better. The heads are a bit malformed, but the textures are nice. Also, they all have the same expression on their faces. They look so eager and willing to do whatever you direct them to do with your mouseclicks. They're like, "Please bend me over and let me take it up the ass!"
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Spazmo wrote:Oh, I see. So when SoA sells fairly well in foreign markets like Europe and Russia, it ships 400,000 units, but when Silent Storm sells like hotcakes in Russia and the UK, it's only a tiny portion of the market and doesn't really reflect how well the game does. How convenient!
Man, these boards are such fun I'll risk tripping over my ego on the way back and dredge up this thread again :hahano:

Quick point on S2. The UK sales were in fact lousy... it didn't even dent the charts, and was discounted to half-price a month after release (if that).

The reasons were simple, minimal publicity and (very important IMHO) some truly awful box art that just screamd "cheap and nasty". It's a great game, with an excellent rep among gamers, and good reviews.... but none of the casual store browsers bought it. If I had just seen the box, knowing nothing about the game, I wouldn't have bought it either.

Sadly, marketing muscle still rules over quality. My favourite game of 2003 was Massive Assault (turn based, btw)... have you ever even heard of it ? Best strategy title in years, great reviews (with the exception of one moron who seemed to think it was an RTS title) but lumbered with (again) lousy box art, no publicity and a crap title it sank without trace.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

I just wish that racist idiots like Carsten would leave us Fallout fans alone.... (Wth does he have against Russia? Its nit the cold war any longer!)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Hertston wrote:Sadly, marketing muscle still rules over quality. My favourite game of 2003 was Massive Assault (turn based, btw)... have you ever even heard of it ? Best strategy title in years, great reviews (with the exception of one moron who seemed to think it was an RTS title) but lumbered with (again) lousy box art, no publicity and a crap title it sank without trace.
Massive Assault is also an independently published title.
------------------
Our Host!