KotoR

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: RE

Post by The Gaijin »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Perhaps the material was so popular and got so widespread that it eventually was mined out. Then after 4000 years (a very long time indeed), the material is nearly nonexistent. Just look at lightsabres. They are almost as nonexistent as jedis. (Based on my knowledge from the movies -- I haven't played the jedi games that much). I know that the prequel movies seem to have an abundance of lightsabres but the original three movies made it a point to show that lightsabres are rare. Even the emperor didn't have one! (although I doubt he needed one)
There's not many lightsabers because there's not many jedi. Jedi make their lightsabers themselves, thus if there's no jedi there's no lightsabers to be made. I'm assuming that Vader destroyed the lightsabers of fallen jedi so that their order wouldn't resurface. As for the material being mined out--in the Jedi Knight games there's people wearing whole suits of armor made out of cortosis, and those take place after episode VI.

Like I said, Lucas=lying, stupid, money grubbing cock monger.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Spook334
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Spook334 »

I kind of liked KotOR.

The only thing I found bothersome was that they put in the mini games that was more designed for consoles in the PC version, and that there was too few side quests to develop the story in any direction you wanted. As dark side you was stuck doing the same story, more or less, as light side. You should at least have been able to turn that cathumanoid Jedi to follow you around as "apprentice" if you were evil instead of having to save her or kill her. You should also been allowed to make a grab for power with the assassin guld and take over the Sith academi (I still wonder how those silly apprentices thought they should be able to beat someone that just killed the head master and his second in command all by himself :chainsaw: ).

But in all I think this game followed episode 4-6 better then episode 1 and 2 did, and episode 4-6 was my favorites so far in SW. It managed to have a Epic feeling to it despite being RPG lite.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yay. I guess it wouldn't be nice to call it RPG, let's just call it an Adventure Game - a genre long lost :) That's how I felt. Adventuring in the world of star wars with (limited) freedom was enough to carry me through the whole game, twice.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

Kotor is (imho) just another Hack'n'Slash RPG. Period.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

KOTOR was good.

I wish it was longer tho.

The fact that you can betray the Jedi and kill Malak is fun :P
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

How does KotR compare with NWN? Because I tried NWN for the first time a week ago, expecting complete shit, but I was pleasantly surprised. NWN is way better than Morrowind I'd say. It's more of an RPG anyway.

One gripe I've got with NWN is that most of the dialogue options for each dialogue will lead to the same outcome.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

NWN is OK for the first chapter. Its kinda neat and stuff. Then in the 2nd chapter you start to realize that you're not really doing anything different. I found the combat to be very boring and the quests tedious. Plus everything you find is mostly just junk. KOTOR is much better than NWN. Both use the horribly flawed d20 system though.

There just isn't much room for strategy during combat. You're stuck with a limited view and it pretty much makes you just want to beat everything's head in with good old fashioned melee combat. I would have probably enjoyed NWN more with a good melee fighter. The ranger kinda sucked when I realized that bows are useless.

Games like Baldur's Gate 2, on the other hand, give you more space and freedom. Allowing for better strategy and more enjoyable gameplay. Namely, making ranged combat more feasible.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

I always found the ranged combat in BG games to be less than enjoyable. It sucked som much compared to melee. I tried playing an archer once. Halfway trough it i was already dual-wielding katanas, as the damage output and speed was so much better.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Aye. It's even worse with Planescape: Torment, because your sight is so limited there's really no use of *anything* ranged, be it spells OR bows.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Thats true. Torment had the worst attempt at ranged combat in the IE. The area size made it so ranged fighters would be easy pickings for melee fighters (then again, everyone suffered with this), and their firing rate was hampered because of the short distance. And, there was only one ranged fighter (Nordom), which, despite its uniqueness as a character, sucked as an archer.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

KOTOR is hundred times better than NWN. Don't get any gun feats tho, lightsabers are way better once you become a jedi.

The story is better, there is interaction between your party characters, there are moral choices, in KOTOR you can actually influence the ending, the ennemies aren't just reskinned models, and it goes on and on.

Once you become a dark jedi there is fire in the background of your character portrait and it's neat :P

I still wish it was longer, especially the story between Bastilla and yourself. I hope Feargus doesn't screw the sequel with millions of particle effects and shit tho.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Franz_Schubert wrote:How does KotR compare with NWN? Because I tried NWN for the first time a week ago, expecting complete shit, but I was pleasantly surprised. NWN is way better than Morrowind I'd say. It's more of an RPG anyway.

One gripe I've got with NWN is that most of the dialogue options for each dialogue will lead to the same outcome.
my only problem with nwn was the fact that it had no ending at all. it just cut off after you beat it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

That reminds me of Morrowind... To make it even worse in M the people didn't much even recognize your achievement after you rid the world of the ultimate evil yadi yadi. They just kinda said "hey, thanks dude, you're the man- now get out of my way" and walked off.

Not to mention it was kinda boring to play when you could beat any kind of enemy with your hands tied behind your back and your cock shoved deep in your mouth. To make it worse, the mightiest being on the whole place - a living God as they called him - could be beaten with 5 good hits (he was so tough he wasn't originally even supposed to be killed - it screws up the main story).

Haven't plaid NWN though but many rpg-fans call it a piece of crap.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Kashluk wrote:That reminds me of Morrowind... To make it even worse in M the people didn't much even recognize your achievement after you rid the world of the ultimate evil yadi yadi. They just kinda said "hey, thanks dude, you're the man- now get out of my way" and walked off.

Not to mention it was kinda boring to play when you could beat any kind of enemy with your hands tied behind your back and your cock shoved deep in your mouth. To make it worse, the mightiest being on the whole place - a living God as they called him - could be beaten with 5 good hits (he was so tough he wasn't originally even supposed to be killed - it screws up the main story).

Haven't plaid NWN though but many rpg-fans call it a piece of crap.
morrowind was fucking garbage. i care not what anyone says. it has the worst combat system ive ever had to fucking use.
look i swing and i miss 60 FUCKING TIMES ON CIVILIANS AT THE START. now, i know civilians are pretty l33t but come on now. im a soldier and i cant kill some 95 year old woman cook with a fagger dagger when i have a sword.

nwn was better than i expected and i liked some of the quests. one of my other major problems with nwn was the total lack of ub3r l33t weapons. i wanted to find a +5 deathbringer sword of godliness but no, the best weapon you can find is like a +3 longsword and you have to find materials to create l33t weapons which in some cases arent much more use than some +3 weapons.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Creating weapons in NWN is a fuckin pain, you have to pile all these shitty items in your inventory until the last chapter before you can craft something good.

What sucks about NWN is the monsters. Alwayst he same old fuckin model with a new gay different skin. Same as shitty Diablo.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

at least diablow has phat l00t
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

That can get kinda confusing too....

When you're trying to figure out the difference between

the Skull Splitter Military Pick
(12-14) - (19-24) Damage
26 Durability
33 Dex Required
49 Str Required
Item Level: 28
Clvl Req: 21 Hit Blinds Target
+20% Mana Regen
Adds 1 - (12-15) Lightning Damage
+50-100 to Attack Rating
+60-100% Enhanced Damage
15% Chance of Open Wounds Range: 2
Weapon Speed: -10
Dmg Bonus: 100 Str
Swing Speed:
Very Fast: As/P
Fast: Am/B/D/N/S

and

the Deathspade Axe
16 - (19-20) Damage
24 Durability
No Dex Required
32 Str Required
Item Level: 12
Clvl Req: 9 Hit Blinds Target
+8 to Minimum Damage
15% Bonus to Attack Rating
+4 Mana after each kill
+60-70% Enhanced Damage Range: 2
Weapon Speed: 10
Dmg Bonus: 100 Str
Swing Speed:
Fast: As/P
Normal: Am/B/D/N/S

Your head will most likely explode before you'll figure it out.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

what's to understand? they both suck. find phatter l00t. personally the most annoying bit to me are those farking rune words and how shitty all the set items are.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Oh well, it's a matter of taste anyways.
Mouse-raping just ain't for me.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

i like the scavenger hunt aspect of it. with a necro character i dont do much button mashing just sit back and let the skellies/revives do their work. if only i could find an rpg with a balance. plenty to do outside of dungeons and character planning (like fallout) and plenty of nifty looking items for those times you DO have to crawl dungeons so you can at least feel some sort of reward. In Fallout 2 there was a load of items but most of them were shit / didn't fit into the environment.
Our Host!