John Deiley spills the beans on FO3's story

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

As I've stated before I would have liked to play FO3 crappy or no just for closure. Doesn't look like we'll ever get an FO3 though so *shrug*.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't think it'd matter much if another team picked it up if they just have put the work of a fallout mod in. We should see the game in 2006 ^-^
:chew:
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

OnTheBounce wrote:It's the only way I can explain some of the rather infantile bickering going on.

OTB
SHUT UP OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone WHAT DO YOU KNOW EH???

Like the man said, I would've loved a FO 3 just for closure--now the closest I'm going to get to that (in the forseeable future) is a punch in the nuts called FO: BOS. And while the beginning sounded pretty generic, the ideas that they had for the rest of the game sounded really intriguing. I've always wanted my own train.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

You should all go and buy some nice healthy vegetables and stop trying to survive on your own withered cynycism...

If the startpoint was a tribal village or a sealed fallout shelter, and these had not occured in the previous two games you'd be saying exactly what you're saying here, if not moreso.

Never, ever, ever, say you're happy Fallout 3 was cancelled. Campaign for it's release until the day you die o_o
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

I'll raise a glass to that.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Just accept it, and MOVE on. I hate it when people make things negative just so they can accept it. That's not how it works, weaklings.
toughlilgecko
SDF!
SDF!

Post by toughlilgecko »

EvoG wrote:Anyone here remember 'Dragon Wars'? REAL old skool ( god I hate that )....anyway, it starts off in a medival prison for which you had several options on how to escape, one of which passing yourself off as a dead body and hide among the pile thats about to be launched over the wall. Begining in prisons/captivity to then escape has always been a cool premise for me.
Escape from prison by disguising yourself as a dead body? Oh, THAT'S original! Count of Monte Christo anyone?

Say... now that's an interesting premise to work into a game. You get screwed over and run out of town, so you travel the world and build yourself up so you can go back and KICK ASS on everyone! Screw that Save The World crap, Lust For Revenge is something anyone can get into.

It'd sell.
dedsyde
SDF!
SDF!

Post by dedsyde »

what the hell are you talking about? even if it is an unoriginal storyline, you'd play it and you'd love it, so don't try to play off the sour grapes routine just because it's never coming out now.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That sounds like a decent story, catchy right from the beginning. I hate it when some games/movies take ages to actually start. Destroying the BOS would have been an interesting option, just to prove that nothing lasts forever in the wastelands.

Of course, whether BIS would have done a good job remains a mystery. I just hope the license ends up in good hands.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

toughlilgecko wrote:
EvoG wrote:Anyone here remember 'Dragon Wars'? REAL old skool ( god I hate that )....anyway, it starts off in a medival prison for which you had several options on how to escape, one of which passing yourself off as a dead body and hide among the pile thats about to be launched over the wall. Begining in prisons/captivity to then escape has always been a cool premise for me.
Escape from prison by disguising yourself as a dead body? Oh, THAT'S original! Count of Monte Christo anyone?

Say... now that's an interesting premise to work into a game. You get screwed over and run out of town, so you travel the world and build yourself up so you can go back and KICK ASS on everyone! Screw that Save The World crap, Lust For Revenge is something anyone can get into.

It'd sell.
Erm...where did I say it was original? If you read my post prior to that one, you'd read me state that 99.9% of all ideas are unoriginal.

Besides, you comparing a game idea to a book?

If you people think EVERYTHING is stupid, how do you enjoy any form of entertainment whatsoever....sheesh, sucks to be you.

Cheers
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The FO3 story isn't stupid, just unoriginal.

And escaping a prison disguised as a dead body is WAY more original than having a mysterious attack blow a hole in the wall, no? At least I think so.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Yea, I'd rather act out Silence of the Lambs than Pirates of the Penzance, but it's not that bad.

Mabye even leave it up to the player to escape by sneaking, fighting, talking or inventing his way out. Mabye make a helicopter from birds feathers and ear-wax OMG DONT FLY NEAR THE SUN
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Wait....alright yea I think the dead body escape rocks, and for games its completely original, thats why I brought it up...for for our buddy here comparing books the games, yea in all of MEDIA, sure its not original....they also did it in 'Behind Enemy Lines' with Owen Wilson for example. While not an escape, he did hide amongst dead bodies with the Serbs right over the mass grave hunting for him. For a game though, its brilliant.

An yeah, FO3 may be unoriginal, but again, NOTHING is original, so its a tad senseless to talk about how unoriginal it is since this concept has been established many times in this thread alone. This doens't diminish what the execution could have been like...to which I stated that maybe it wouldn't be as stellar without the original FO team, whom was responsible for why we love FO so much...not just by nature of the license, but by the creativity of the individuals.

Cheers
Mihail
Regular
Regular

Post by Mihail »

s4ur0n27 wrote:Sarge, we are having a discussion, if you came here to tell us to shut up, well go fuck yourself please. Hitler is dead and people still bitch his ass, why not FO3 as well.

We all know BIS is screwed and FO3 is canned.
agreed
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

This talk of originality is redundant. Take a look at the first Fallout: you've got an evil genius figure hell-bent on shaping the world in his own twisted image, you've got radioactive mutants, powered armour, post-nuclear survival... all of these themes were long since milked ragged before Fallout hit the shelves. No-one gave a toss about that because what made it a great game was the depth of roleplay and gameplay and unforgetably unique audio-visual style.

Of course this snippet of FO3's plot looks weak on paper - what did you expect? If someone came to you with Fallout's plot written down, say, 7 years ago (or long enough that it was before Fallout came out, bear with me here) you would have laughed at it. And this is the same game that's now venerated like any religious icon you care to mention, around these parts.
Eye for an Eye
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Eye for an Eye »

Well, FO3 was cancelled because of financial problems, it was close to being done if this interview is true. John Deiley also says they cannot buy the licence from interplay because they can't afford it but... They'd love to work for someone else who could buy the licence or if they could get it themselves...
I don't know what such a licence would cost, but if every Fallout fan would pay say like $3 to the BIS crew, which people of course wouldn't want to but it would be nice, then they could buy the licence and give us the bloody game.

*Curls up under a fireproof blanket on and waits for the flames to surround him* :?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Stevie D wrote:This talk of originality is redundant. Take a look at the first Fallout: you've got an evil genius figure hell-bent on shaping the world in his own twisted image, you've got radioactive mutants, powered armour, post-nuclear survival... all of these themes were long since milked ragged before Fallout hit the shelves. No-one gave a toss about that because what made it a great game was the depth of roleplay and gameplay and unforgetably unique audio-visual style.
You're forgetting one critical aspect of the story there: the Master thought he was helping humanity. He thought he was doing good and that's why he's such a tragic and original figure.

But nonetheless, you are right: the core of Fallout was the distinctive style and gameplay. But given what BIS at its peak managed for FO2 and what they managed at their worst in IWD2 (and the IWD2 team was pretty much the same as the Van Buren one), it's not unreasonable that some aren't going ga-ga over what a great game VB could have been.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Well it's hard not to have a story where something happens. And fighting has been in stories forever, they probably make up 99% of every story. The Bibles just one fucking big fight with demons and shit, it's probably the groundwork for every story wrote. Or at least most of the anime.

I don't see the point in bickering wether somethings original, so long as it isn't exact and just a rip-off or a cliche I can dig it.
RasterOps
SDF!
SDF!

Post by RasterOps »

chrisbeddoes wrote: Fallout is like Da Vinci painting.

Only Da Vinci can make them.

It does not matter who owns the rights or anything else.

And many FO fans think like me.
This now includes IPLY. Without the original BIS staff, what do you think the suits at IPLY would do to FO3 should they decide to complete it?

[prophey]
They wouldn't start until after FOBOS2.
They will not rehire any staff. FO3 will be completed with existing staff.
FO3 will be bastardized in order to get it on the shelves as quickly as possible.
Features will be left incomplete or removed (no usable trains).
Unfinished quests will be removed.
The FO3 story and game play will be severely reduced.
[/prophey]

So I agree, not every developer can produce FO3 and IPLY is now one of these. I still want someone, other than IPLY to complete FO3.
History is-a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark! - Lord John Whorfin A.K.A. Dr Emilio Lizardo
RasterOps
SDF!
SDF!

Post by RasterOps »

One of my thoughts for a game opening is this. You are the son (or daughter) of Mr. Bishop. Remember why? Another family has put out a contract on you. As you are walking downstairs into the basement multiple explosions occur. The stairs colapse as well as the floor beneath you. When you awake you are hurt, badly, but alive. You find yourself seemingly trapped in the sewers beneath New Reno.
History is-a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark! - Lord John Whorfin A.K.A. Dr Emilio Lizardo
Our Host!