New books worth reading

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Bloodgeon11 wrote:Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...only if you like fantasy and have a lot of patience (10 books over 600 pages and counting=)).
ive read all those books and i can honestly say the series should have been stopped after 3-5 books. the same shit just happens over and over again to different characters in slightly different ways. no one is going to read the whole series unless they wanna know what happens because honestly it aint worth it.
i hate a few characters in it too but books always contain characters you want to die but dont hmm?
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Reminiscences of the Cuban Revolutionary War - Che Guevara
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
365 Days - Robert Glasser
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

The Demontech series is pretty good. I read the first 2 and it puts an interesting spin on the fantasy genre. I can't quite recall the author's first name, but the last is Sherman. That should be all you need.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I suggest Go Rin no Sho by Miyomoto Musashi. You'll have better luck looking it up as "Book of Five Rings" though. Good book, goes well with "The Art of War" which someone suggested earlier.
Harriers for the cup.
Sykotik
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sykotik »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:
Bloodgeon11 wrote:Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...only if you like fantasy and have a lot of patience (10 books over 600 pages and counting=)).
ive read all those books and i can honestly say the series should have been stopped after 3-5 books. the same shit just happens over and over again to different characters in slightly different ways. no one is going to read the whole series unless they wanna know what happens because honestly it aint worth it.
i hate a few characters in it too but books always contain characters you want to die but dont hmm?
The tenth book is the biggest waste of rainforest I've seen in my life, excepting a couple of really dodgy literature I've read before. But seriously, does anything actually really happen in that book? Not that I noticed or can remember. :P

And on the topic of Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. The one that inspired Blade Runner. Fackin' excellent.

Some more fantasy that entertained me a while back is the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Nice stuff.
Tits.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Piece of shit. I noticed something interesting about the book serie though: I can randomly open any of the books of said serie and read a paragraph, and it will always sound erotic.

The game was the worst, though. I can't begin to describe how much it sucked gorilla balls.
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Heh, he was here on some S/F convention. Pretty pompous fellow if I ever saw one, he even had a bunch of utter losers walk behind him and hail his name throughout the place.

The book's not that bad. Not that good either.

Philip K. Dick was a fucking demented loon, completely insane, and I do like insane. Everything he wrote is worth reading, and god damn it I want to get my filthy fingers onExegis , or at least find a place that has Devine Invasions...
Hello New Jersey
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Here's a list of books that are currently on my bookshelf and that I have read at one time or another. Most (if not all) are nonfiction:

American Muscle Cars - Jim Campisano

Battle: The story of the Bulge - Toland

Unexplained mysteries of WWII - Breuer

Men of Steel: Ist SS Panzer Corps - Michael Reynolds

Battle Stations - Taylor Downing & Andrew Johnston

Why the Germans lose at War - Kenneth Macksey

NAVY SEALs: A History - Kevin Dockery

The Bias Against Guns - Lott

Soldier - Gibbore

Ripcord - Nolan

Steel my Soldiers Hearts - Hackworth

Dirty Little Secrets of WWII - Dunnigan & Alfred A. Nofi

Days of Infamy - Michael Coffey

13 Cent Killers - John J. Culbertson

Hell's Highway - George Koskimaki

Jarhead - Anthony Swofford

Great Naval Battles of the 20th Century - Hough

SS-Wiking - Rupert Butler

What IF? - Deutch & Showalter

Complete Guide to Classic Rifles - Gene Gangarosa

Hiter and his Generals - Helmut Heiber and David M. Glantz

The Scourge of the Swastika*
The Knights of Bushido*

*Both by Lord Russel of Liverpool

His Time in Hell - Jackson

Third Reich - John Bradley

Weapon Tests and Evaluations - Peter G. Kokalis

Gun Digest 2003 and 2004

Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges - Wolfe

The Gun Digest book of Modern Gun Values, 11th Edition

Stormtrooper - Stephen Bull

The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook - Long

The World's Great Tanks - Roger Ford

The Schmeisser - Chris Ellis with Peter Chamberlain

The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, 5th Edition

Great Naval Disasters - Bonner & Bonner

Hood & Bismark - David Mearns and Rob White

I heartily reccommend all of these books, as they are all a fine read, and portray their subject matter very eloquently.
Our Host!