Regarding matters pertaining to the Overseer.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Regarding matters pertaining to the Overseer.

Post by Radoteur »

I really like to experiment with the game, just to see what happens.
So, I diecided to kill the Overseer. (After hearing so much about this awesome death scene.)
I pull out my Red Ryder LE Gun and shoot him in the eyes.
I do about 4 damage, and think, what the hell?
The Overseer immediately retaliates with two miniguns that come out of his tower.
Not one, but TWO!
He inflicts an insane amount of Damage on me. 71hp gone. (This is with Power Armor.)

I watch as my allies try to touch him with their peashooters, and anticipate my next move. My turn comes, I have 1 hp left. I open up my inventory and use stimpacks like there is no tommorrow. I contemplate running away, but decide to die an honorable death.

What i can't see to understand is why in the name of all things holy i started out with a 10mm pistol. This guy has two miniguns. He could have at least given me the shotgun, what a jerk.

What I seem to have a hard time understanding is how the Vault could have fallen to the mutants. The Overseer could have easily annihilated any and all opposition brought by the mutants, singlehandedly.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Well, accept to get dipped to see the ending where the overseer gets overrun by muties...
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

When we said kill the Overseer, we mean killing him during end game when he is outside the vault door, not while he's sitting on his throne.

As for the 2 mini-guns, right, he didn't even give you a shotgun, because from the beginning, he is a jerk.
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
keeps the heart imprisoned
What the spirit seeks the mind will follow
When the body speaks all else is hollow
grapedog
SDF!
SDF!

Post by grapedog »

The overseer is a prick and deserves a slow painfull death and living for an eternity in my avatar...
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I figured that, since I tried.
I do believe he is invincible on the throne.
I shot him a few times, and still he was "Unhurt"

He does seem like a charismatic person. Basically, He can BS like hell, and get away with it.

Also, something a bit unusual is how after 150 days, they are all dead.
If i lived in a Vault and there was no water i would not sit around and dehydrate. I would at least try my luck in the real world.

Of course, the overseer might have brainwashed them into staying so he could keep his management position.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

You CAN get a shotgun from your Vault at the beginning.
Once you've cleaned the starting cave, go outside, move outside the Vault square and come back. Then go to level 3 and talk to the person next to a door with a red light on it. This person has a pistol in his/her hand. Talk with him/her and say something like "only a people in need would have access to the weapons" and he/she agrees and then tell him/her that you are in need of them. (S)he thinks that you might be right and opens the door for you. Grab the weapons and ammo..
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

And if that doesn't work, go talk to the overseer and mention yourself needing better weapons whereafter he will then grant you access to the weapons-locker.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I was messing around today in my game and was talking to the Overseer and he told me the reason why he won't let anyone out. You can get the exact quote if you wait enough days and then talk to him.
It was something like "The people are unprepared, and me, I'm management. I don't know how to do anything usefull."

Damn straight nothing usefull, all he does is sit on his big cushy chair and complain about how you can't find the chip.

Also the people on the 2nd level who talk about leaving. They eventually do. I'm not sure of when, but I came back with one day left and the girl you talk to about leaving is gone.

And I waited until 11:50 p.m. with one day reamaining and waited the extra 10 minutes in real time, (not the alarm clock) for the day to be over. When it was up I looked at my PipBoy clock and it said I had 1 day left and it was a minute after midnight! I assume if you don't leave the map you can keep going as long as you don't sleep with the PipBoy.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

They die if you go into the world map. I was feeling really mean and took all of the operations in the brotherhood when i had about 20 days left. I don't see why they just don't do the Vault 15 thing.

I know about the shotgun, but why do i practically have to beg to get it. Pfft.

The people that want to leave can be stopped. Talk to the leader. I do it for the exp. Speaking of midnight, a suspicious man is walking around the water supply. Hmmm... maybe you should check it out. Talk to the water guard or the vault citizens with names for leads.
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Warlord wrote:You CAN get a shotgun from your Vault at the beginning.

Inspired by this thread, I started a new FO game. I left the vault and came back. There are flares in the locker in the entry hall. I was able to beg some 10mm ammo and stimpacks from the Overseer, and to get a shotgun and shells and more 10mm ammo from the arms room. IMHO, you should get some XP if you come back and leave weapons here, since you are helping in the defense of your home. The guy guarding the supply room will let you in if you ask and make a point that you need stuff for your quest. Grab some water flasks, they reduce your chances to take damage from dehydration or to lose time in the desert looking for water. I could not do the water thief quest. I don't know if it was too early or if I blew it. I was able to calm the dissidents, that leveled me up. Being level 2 then 3 with a shotgun helped a lot with Shady Sands and V15.

BTW, Ian keeps going unarmed after he reloads, no matter how many times I tell him to use his best weapon. He has extra ammo. I guess he does that if he doesn't have enough AP's to shoot. Does anyone know how to stop this?
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

To catch the water thief, you have to have 100 or less days left. I always did it before turning in the water chip. Catch the thief, turn in the water chip. :idea:
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Blarg wrote:BTW, Ian keeps going unarmed after he reloads, no matter how many times I tell him to use his best weapon. He has extra ammo. I guess he does that if he doesn't have enough AP's to shoot. Does anyone know how to stop this?
Kill him.

As for the main topic on this thread, you can get some good XP from the Vault. Killing them isn't worth it, as you get more from blowing away a rat. Of course, you can steal, plant, and steal for some XP if you're good, but so early in the game it doesn't really work.
Radoteur wrote:Also, something a bit unusual is how after 150 days, they are all dead.
If i lived in a Vault and there was no water i would not sit around and dehydrate. I would at least try my luck in the real world
Maybe they all threaten to leave, but he uses his exclusive level of access to lock the Vault door from the outside so they can't leave. So I would assume that would happen a few days prior to the 150 mark, and they would go stir crazy and kill eachother. Of course, that still doesn't explain why if you go there with 2 days left, they are acting fine.
fuck
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's just a game... Just a game...
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

They are acting fine, because the Overseer convinced the Vault citizens to stay. He can't be losing his management position. (Even if he is managing a bunch of people dying from water poisioning.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

you can beat the overseer. stand at the first hexagon right infront of him, and he can't get you. just hope you have enough ammo. i reccomend miniguns/flamer. i never beat him though, cuz i never had enough ammo. so make sure oyu got alot of boom-booms in your inven.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

You can't beat him. He has 20 hp, bt after every turn (ie every persons turn, not round!) he regains all his health. His armour makes sure that even with ultimate criticals with the rocket-launcher you can't giuve him more than 17 hp-damage.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

thats impossible, i remember seeing higher damage than that.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

to kill the vault overseer you need a high charisma skill, good speach and high luck. all you do is you stand in front of him and hurl abuse until he starts crying. then you start on the "your mom" jokes and eventually he'll shoot himself.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

When do you do this? At the end when he's talking to you or any other time in the vault?
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I probably have to work on my sarcasm notification system.
how about this:

SARCASM ALERT
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Our Host!