SPLIT: what is an RPG

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Who the fuck is this guest and why is s/he such a moron? Anyways, I didn't even come up with "role back in RPG", but the statement is still entirely valid because modern CRPGs are severly lacking in actual role playing--see Baldur's Gate or NWN or whatever.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Okay, just to clear up: The guest is me. Teatime unlocked my old account (voodoo4936), changed the username, and deleted my Subhuman account. So if you see any posts by Guest dating from before today, assume they're mine.

Also, last time I checked, role-playing is assuming a role and acting that role out. All RPGs give you a character to play, build up his/her stats, and basically customize him/her to your whim. Some give you more freedom than others, but it's the same concept all round. Baldur's Gate is no exeption, and it stems from the biggest RPG series of all time (D&D). If Baldur's Gate isn't role-playing, then Honda isn't a car company.

So you're still making no sense.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Subhuman wrote:Also, last time I checked, role-playing is assuming a role and acting that role out.
Oh, you drippy cock. By that brutally inane logic, DOOM is an RPG because you're playing the role of a marine!!!!!11

BG is a role playing game, yes, but it's a bad one. The plot is totally set in stone. You don't make any meaningful choices. You can be of any race, class or alignment in BG and it doesn't matter. The game plays out the same: kill tons and tons of bad guys. It's still a fun game, but only as an action adventure--there's no real role playing. Same goes for the bulk of RPGs these days. That's where the role has gone.

RPG Codex
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

What you're talking about is the freedom to explore and change the flow of the game's plot. In that sense, Baldur's Gate is limited, yes. But it's still classified as a role-playing game, because you pick your character's class and race, build his/her stats, and explore a game world with that character.

You need to be more specific. Just because games like BG and (especially) Final Fantasy are linear doesn't mean they aren't RPGs.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

I didn't say that. What I said was "BG is a role playing game, yes, but it's a bad one." The games exist, but they're very poor RPGs. Dig it?

RPG Codex
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

That's one of the shittiest ever fucking thread. And Subhuman you are so arguing over useless bullshit, sure Spazmo throws out lame jokes once in a while, but arguing over something as trivial as RPGCodex's motto is really something nobody gifted with intelligence, or at least judgement, would do.

By the way, your "Too punk rock for this" is really shitty too.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

S4ur0n27 wrote:That's one of the shittiest ever fucking thread.
And lo, S4ur0n27 was the voice of wisdom !
S4ur0n27 wrote:And Subhuman you are so arguing over useless bullshit, /snip
What, pray tell, is especially new and/or shocking about this ?
S4ur0n27 wrote:but arguing over something as trivial as RPGCodex's motto is really something nobody gifted with intelligence, or at least judgement, would do.
That's why you jumped in, eh ?
S4ur0n27 wrote:By the way, your "Too punk rock for this" is really shitty too.
It stands to reason ! :drunk:
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

RPGs are when you take the role of someone, and make REAL LIFE decisions ie killing or maiming, stealing or buying, or shooting or stabbing, basically, its trying to put real life into a game.
does this work
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Blargh sure gives awesome posts too.

HAY GUYS I CAN QUOTE YOU CAN MAKE UNFUNNY ONE LINERS :COOL: :DRUNK:
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

shutup vanilla...
does this work
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Llama - Hmm, it seems we have something in common then. Regardless, blame me for your lacking sense of humour. Well done ! :drunk:
Last edited by Blargh on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Doom2 was the best RPG ever made. I remember the time I got a +200 vest of green off a cyber demon.... Man, we bartered and bartered, but eventually he exploded.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

most annoying username ever wrote:Subhuman you are so arguing over useless bullshit, sure Spazmo throws out lame jokes once in a while, but arguing over something as trivial as RPGCodex's motto is really something nobody gifted with intelligence, or at least judgement, would do.
The Codex's motto is stupid because it makes no sense, and I called him on it. We're having a semi-mature conversation about why he thinks most modern-day RPGs aren't "true" role-playing, a topic which is apparently worthy enough to get its own thread. And really, you're the last person who should be complaining about useless bullshit.
most annoying username ever wrote:By the way, your "Too punk rock for this" is really shitty too.
It's a FameTracker reference, and an ironic jab at the mainstreaming of "punk". It's not meant to be literal. I'm about as far away from "punk" as you can get.

In other words, stop posting just because you can.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Subhuman wrote:
In other words, stop posting just because you can.
He gives out advices but never follows them himself.
Hello New Jersey
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

when he should...
does this work
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

:UBER:MENSCH::ACID
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Right. Because I post nothing but useless crap. And I butt into converstations when I have nothing to contribute. Absolutely. You're right - I'm such a hypocrite!

Shut up, goobers.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

FUCK:OFF

Criticisms, while short, shoudl not be considered 'useless'. And when it's offered, you are obliged to swallow it.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

You do post mostly useless crap. And this is a forum, last time I checked, not mIRC, so butting into *conversations* isn't so socially impolite.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What's the point of a forum if not to post?

You were taking RPGCodex's motto literaly too.
Our Host!