Classes

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Mismatch we're focusing on Oblivion now. When we have something solid to say about Fallout 3, we will.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:Mismatch we're focusing on Oblivion now. When we have something solid to say about Fallout 3, we will.
yarrrrr
but frankly, tis the oblivion talk that scares me D:
you fellas are all:
"look at oblivion, FO3'll be the real chit!!!!"

And yet (without having read any previews) oblivion seems to me as yet another hack and slash rpg. And I fear the same for FO3 D:
I should say though that I loved Daggerfall, as it was rather revolutionary when released. (Morrowind was another daggerfall just a tad less amusing and with new graphics, and thus I didnt quite like morrowind).
With the cockgobbling done, I'd like to further point out wtf Im going on about.
Or no, I bloody wont.
Just play FO1 && FO2.
Over and over and over again.
With different chars trying different ways to do chit.
I do hope youve alredy done it.
But they key is repetition, finding the depth and maintaining it.
replayabilityand multiple solutions (yah, I know, its been said already)

cheers
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Rather than classes I'd prefer the option to choose a custom background (or not) sort of an extended more detailed version of the traits, kind of like in Arcanum or even System Shock 2.

Thats along the lines of what Ive been thinking. Have the standard FO system as the defualt, but also have classes as options that when selected affect the game (a combat-boy wont even get as many diplomatic options, since you selected to play as a combat boy, but at the same time someone who selects a diplomat and tries to only fight will run itno trouble)

Something along those vague lines would be nice, but itd also require so much damned work that itd be unworkable proabloy. At least to do properly without having 100's of pregenerated responses that everyone has.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PsychoSniper wrote:Have the standard FO system as the defualt, but also have classes as options that when selected affect the game (a combat-boy wont even get as many diplomatic options, since you selected to play as a combat boy, but at the same time someone who selects a diplomat and tries to only fight will run itno trouble)
One of the best things about Fallout is that it has no classes. I don't see a point in dumb class-based restrictions. They just aint logical. Only your characters attributes, skills and perks you've chosen should affect your characters diplomatic choices, combat effiency etc.

Background stories would be a nice little addition, but didn't Fallout already have that sort of option? Well, kind of. (traits)
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Well, backgrounds would be a special kind of trait, really. You could choose only one, and it'd influence mostly your starting skills (a Vault Dweller and a Tribal would have different ones).
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Ausir wrote:and it'd influence mostly your starting skills
Isn't that kinda useless? After a few level-ups it doesn't even matter.

Or maybe something like a slaver tattoo in FO2? No character bonuses, but the game world reacts differently to your character(pros and cons). Anyway, it should be an in-game choice in my opinion, not pre-game.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Or maybe something like a slaver tattoo in FO2? No character bonuses, but the game world reacts differently to your character(pros and cons).
yah, I loved how the slaver tatoo influenced chit. Too bad most ppl were fucking gits.
Twas not enuff pros being a slaver.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Prehaps I should clarify..... I meant not so much 'class' like with most RPGs but rather optional backstory traits (as Ausir said) that, if picked, affect how your characther is reacted to (choosing to start as a new recruit in the NCR Rangers would have differnt quests/dialouge than choosing to start as a tribal)

That said, the core element of CHOICE needs to remain intact before implementing such a system, and also if such a system is implemented it should be a secondary concern, work on it AFTER making the game good without.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PsychoSniper wrote:choosing to start as a new recruit in the NCR Rangers would have differnt quests/dialouge than choosing to start as a tribal
In that case the gameworld reactions should be different throughout the game for every backstory trait to be interesting, not just a different starting location/starting skills. But it would still be a pre-game choice and not an in-game moral choice with consequences. I think an open-ended gameworld and SPECIAL contribute more to the re-play factor than different character backgrounds(unless they all have a plot/story of their own).
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I get what youre saying, but if they leave in the open ended part and make selecting a premade backstory optional then it would be allright in my view.

As long as they dont cheap out on dev work on other stuff.

And yeah, the reactioons differing for every trait thing would be nice.
OrphanBoy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by OrphanBoy »

The only way they would introduce a class system is if they forced you to be a part of a faction, like BoS or something like that. That way, you would charged with being a part of a community.

The Fallout games did an awesome job of escaping from that, which became one of its appeals. The whole outlaw, be-your-own-boss, lone-gunman theme worked so well, because you started off as stranger to everyone, and depending on your decisions throughout the game, different political groups become attached to you. But you never had to abide by any rules or regulations, really. F*ck company lunches. I'm going across town to sell your blueprints for cash...and then I'm gonna slaughter both of yas.

You never had to be on anyone's side, except your own, which is probably why we ended up killing all the NPC's in both games, right? At least, for me, I chose to keep playing after I beat the sequel just to travel every inch of the map looking for any sign of life...and then making sure it doesn't survive another minute. There's really nothing else in terms of end-game content.
Our Host!