Classes

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Exactly. That kind of stuff ruins games.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

No classes. Keep it fallout.
Cuthbert Allgood
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuthbert Allgood »

Spoken like a true gunslinger king!
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Screaming_Dude_in_Vegas
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Screaming_Dude_in_Vegas »

King of Creation wrote:Didn't all of the Elder Scrolls game require you to select a class?
You did in arena, but they droped that in daggerfall. I mean you could choose a premade class if you realy wanted to, but they had a custom class system added, and almost everyone used that. The custom class system was very similar to the tag skills system. You chose a group of skills that contributed towards gaining a level.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Keep it to what it was.

It wouldn't bother me to see the Morrowind system implemented, or an alternative version of it, because I found myself doing a lot more planning in Morrowind regarding my class, that I did in Fallout..

Fo, was like... so what do I lvl up now? meh... fuck it. Just choose whatever it seems I need now.

That's only what I feel though, keeping SPECIAL would be the best for all.
Testicular Pugilist
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

As long as there is no possibility to lock your character away from using a weapon/item/stuff/thingie for no apparent reason, i.e. if you choose one-hander, you should still be able to use two handed weapons, and even become good at it, just not as skilled as other people. You should never get a message saying "stfu n00b u cant use teh minigun cos u chose one-hander tag"...what excatly prevents me from taking that minigun in both hands and squeezing the trigger?
things fysically hindering the player from using an item would have to be for example the loss of a limb(wich would, in a PA-world, most likely cause death(limited health care, loss of blood, unusefullness, blahblah))
Smiley wrote:That's only what I feel though, keeping SPECIAL would be the best for all.
I would go further: keep SPECIAL or ditch fallout3, it ain't worth the plastic it's stored on(the CD(s)) if it doesn't have SPECIAL, and don't you dare fixing it! it's not broken.
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

More 'background history feat' things.

"I was in Nam' and that gives me +30% critical when shooting gooks."

Mystic EDIT: Oh yeah, quick question. What would you guys think about earning feat-stuff in quests? Repaired the unrepairable gizmo-thingy? Here, have a +1 luck on failchecks when using the repair skill.
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

feat-stuff? wuzzat?
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Backgrounds, as done with Arcanum and/or System Shock 2 (as already mentioned). For example, you select :

'Bitter burger flipper,

Potentially amusing descriptive fluff goes here,

SHINNY GNU AEWSOM ABILITEE = 50% chance to instantly kill enemies struck in melee when wielding a spatula.

MAE BE SUMTIN NEG- NG - BAD ALLSO = Charisma capped at 4 because you're a hateful cunt and no one likes you, na na na.
'

Also, earning a (usually unique and/or special) perk through character actions, rather than level up decisions. As seen in Fallout 2 with certain quests and options, i.e the Dermal/Phoenix Implants, or the Brahmin shite shoveling side quest in Broken Hills.

If that was at all condescending, I anticipate blaming the non-specificity of your query. :drunk:
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Backgrouns, such as "tribal" or "vault dweller", which would influence your initial (but only initial) skills and maybe function like traits would be ok. But no classes please.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The problem with backgrounds is, of course, they mean the game will have multiple beginnings, where the player has grown up as a tribal/vault dweller/whatever (barring any weird circumstances). However, it is a grand way to customize your character and how others will interact with them.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Old_Ralph
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Old_Ralph »

St. Toxic wrote:More 'background history feat' things.

"I was in Nam' and that gives me +30% critical when shooting gooks."
Best. Idea. Ever.

Going back on (or rather, further off) topic, I had another FO3 idea...

How would you guys feel if (God forbid) Bethesda actually took a risk and made Fallout 3's main character a race other than human? It may or may not work out, but it's an interesting thought.

I wouldn't mind bein' a Ghoul.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

backgrounds like in Arcanum would be much appreciated.

Along with alternate beginnings depending on that background. Kinds that actually effect your gameplay. Take that step ToEE took a little further.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Hmm, I remember their being premade classes you could select from in Morrowind. I also remembered there being premade characters in fallout that fit basic "class" descriptions that you could choose from as well. ES games, as far as I know, always gave you the option to "make your own class" as Fallout gave you the "create character" option. At least I know that is how it was in Morrowind because that is how I always made my characters.
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

no. classes. for. teh. win.

it would be best to start of as human and throughout the game if certain (random) events occur, you could become a ghoul, super mutant, die of radiation, etc etc. ....
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Killzig wrote:backgrounds like in Arcanum would be much appreciated.

Along with alternate beginnings depending on that background. Kinds that actually effect your gameplay. Take that step ToEE took a little further.
I think that would just kinda cut the game up into a couple of different paths, instead of one big mish mash of choices and shit in the game.

Maybe have the background info that can affect dialog.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

It wouldn't be a big bother, I think, just an extra number of 'starter upper' towns s'all.

And ofcourse the; "You're in a world of shit!" option ( or "You got jumped!" ? ), where you start out in the middle of the wasteland with nothing on, thus getting an enormous + to radiation-resistance.
The problem with backgrounds is, of course, they mean the game will have multiple beginnings, where the player has grown up as a tribal/vault dweller/whatever (barring any weird circumstances).
While it could be something interesting, they don't have to start out differently. "Grown up as a tribal" and "Vault Dweller" could both just as well start out in a town between a vault and a tribal-trash camp, with a small story of how they got there and a smaller/bigger ch when talking to the towns residents ( in comparison with someone born and raised in the town ).

I'm more concerned with the effects of backgrounds on dialogues, reaction and that lot; Guy raised by ghouls = knows better how to deal with ghouls/problems/quests ( so that bg works as in+ for that quest only f.ex ), also knows better how to damage ghouls in combat.

Its an extra step towards character personalization, like writing your own little story and getting a bit of stats for it, and that can't be all bad. This + traits + ( now that it'll be 3d ) looks ( I guess? ) would be really awesome.

One thing I always wanted to do doh; play an old guy.

Start out with a big ++ on skills, - on stats ( not in or ch I suppose ) and a slower exp gain. Just think about the "old-mode" dialogue system. :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

St. Toxic wrote:Just think about the "old-mode" dialogue system. :drunk:
"Oh please, please, help me find the water chip. I'm so very old."
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

why bother D:
its all cocks and asses from ere anyways.
and not in the good way, I mean male asses, not female ones.
all this bethesda silence has made my expectations gone from none to i(none).
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Retlaw83 wrote:"Oh please, please, help me find the water chip. I'm so very old."
"Wh.. What? Rot-GUT? Why you little... when I was younger we used to drink lemonade... "

"Jhesus Christ, boy, what the ... what the HELL are you wearing? What kind of clothes is that? Brotherhood of the what? Of Steel?! What's wrong with a nice suit?"

-and don't forget combat taunts;

"Whennam' done with you, you're gonna feel like me!"
"Howwwthahell do you shoot this thingamabob?"
etc
Our Host!