games nowadays

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I have a plan. Create a paypal account. Set up a donation thingy for it. We'll announce a game, bullshit some screenies, ask for donations to grease the wheels,and we take the money and run. Basically it's like most modern game companies, but instead of releasing a shitty product and screwing you, we just screw you.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Like Project Phoenix!
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

I wonder where Evo was, well it's not the bahamas tho. Maybe a new trailer?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

he was on rpgcodex a bit, perhaps he's working on gas station sim for sam and max 3: search for the lost sequel :D:
:chew:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Steve's still around, I talk to him every so often. He's just busy working on some side projects and such.
Harriers for the cup.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

I dunno about that cost argument, Sovy -- console development is pretty expensive. You need to pay large amounts for the dev kits, the games need to go through certification which may extend development time (you can't release patches, after all), and you have to pay a license fee for every copy of your games sold. And, if your team is new to a particular console, there's a hefty learning curve to overcome. That's less true with the Xbox than it is for the other consoles, but even then it's not always as simple as just recompiling your code.

The reason more & more developers are turning to consoles is simply because it's a huge, huge market. But even with the massive number of consoles out there, and the powerful consoles planned for the next generation, I still don't see PC gaming going away any time soon. PC's are still where all the technological advances take place. As long as people are willing to plunk down $300 to $600 for a new graphics card every year, the graphics card companies will still keep making new cards and game developers will still keep making games that require them.
Arjuna
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Arjuna »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote: (you can't release patches, after all)
Exactly, patches and mods and editors is why PC gaming rules over consoles. Its much more of a factor than the keyboard/mouse or online gaming.
And about the cost... theres alot of PC games like CS which didn't cost much to make or play. Save your money for a 9800 pro graphics card (instead of buying a console). The PC game developers are going to make a new great game, one of these days. :sadblinky:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Arjuna wrote:Save your money for a 9800 pro graphics card (instead of buying a console).
Whoa, that's some cheap hardware you got there :drunk:

But the, who would have bought a GFX card which costs twice as much as 'normal', and does everything as good. Or even worse.
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:I dunno about that cost argument, Sovy -- console development is pretty expensive. You need to pay large amounts for the dev kits, the games need to go through certification which may extend development time (you can't release patches, after all), and you have to pay a license fee for every copy of your games sold.
The numbers I looked up didn't account for royalties, which is a good point to factor in putting a price tag on a game. It is fairly relative now and not like the days when Nintendo was being a tyrant with royalties on the SNES. It is basically a constant passed off to everybody, except for a privileged few.
MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:And, if your team is new to a particular console, there's a hefty learning curve to overcome. That's less true with the Xbox than it is for the other consoles, but even then it's not always as simple as just recompiling your code.
I am assuming you are making mention of the PS2 or PS3? I heard those consoles are quite picky for programming for, at least to take full advantage of the Emotion Engine. Why is Bethesda planning on developing for the PS3 in the first place? I don't think Sony is going to attain the marketshare with next generation consoles that they had with the PS2. Something around 70% of current generation consoles were PS2s, at least at the height of Sony's power.

As for the PC market, this trend seems to be fairly odd, considering the history of the PSX. There is the possibility that console gaming has hit some kind of bottleneck, and that the only way to get the latest, 1337est games is on PC. I'm throwing an assumption that the TV set is the bottleneck, which is being replaced by newer models, like HDTV. It is also no small surprise that the next generation consoles will be supporting HDTV, and I believe that the XBox does support HDTV a bit already, if I am not mistaken. Once that obstacle is overcome, I believe that the PC gaming will go into a decline.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

It's really about creating a hype innit?
Not delivering quality, but fooling stupid ppl so that they'll buy crappy fucking games. Maybe after buying it they'll realize that the game suck, and thus they suck too for buying it.

So, fooling ppl that it's a good game is really what it is all about. That's why companies like developing games on consoles (Which really only are good for fighting games) since the average console playercreally is quite the retard deserving nothing but molesting.
I know what you mean. I'm a cynical, miserable person when it comes to games these days. I don't blame people being stupid. You see my theory is that the more gaming made it into the mainstream. The mainstream idiots just became an actual demographic for game sales. People didn't become more stupid, the stupids were just never part of the potential consumer audience.

People who never played many games before the SIMS came out. All of a sudden were interested. So basically now we have gaming companies pandering to their now more lucrative and expansive demographic of mindlessly consuming morons.
GC has the best 4player games
That reminds me of the dismal state co-operative gaming has become. Relegated chiefly to consoles. You just don't see a lot of good co-op games anymore. The emphasis is on ridiculous teamplay deathmatch or CTF clones on the PC. I won't touch those for the life of me.
moved to general gaming...
as for games, i think vampire will be good, and GTA san andreas on the PS2 will be impressive.
I gotta say. I'm going to keep an open mind if SA comes out for the PC... but. Have you ever watched those live action roleplay movies that you find occasionally on the internet? I cringe when I watch those. I've seen some trailers and clips from the new vampire game, I cringe in the exact same way when I saw those as well. It was just very... bleh.
Once that obstacle is overcome, I believe that the PC gaming will go into a decline.
PC gaming -is- already in a decline. Unfortunately. I blame the shitbox.
The PC only has a few advantages over the console, and that is (usually) an internet connection, and the mouse and keyboard combination.
You forget one thing. one thing that I don't think consoles will ever come close to recreating, and that's the ability to customize. I mean really edit the shit out of games. Yes. I can see them making some provisions to try to make it look like you can customize the game, however more as a shallow gimmick. There are too many things that limit this on a console.
The Final Fantasy series lost a lot of respect
I think the final fantasy series altogether is a load of bollocks. I'm sorry but you have to really like tacked-on convoluted anime storylines and characters to appreciate those games, or have a serious hankering or monotonous combat and leveling. Same shit different pile when it comes to games like NWN and KotoR gameplay wise.

"I hit you now you hit me, now I idle like a homo and perform a dodge animation. Then repeat."
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

Burnov:
PC gaming -is- already in a decline. Unfortunately. I blame the shitbox.
Eh, not really in a decline per se, but it isn't going anywhere fast. Sony would be the larger culprit of wanting to unite console and PC gaming, although they are much less overt than Microsoft when it comes to that subject. Also, Microsoft is neglecting its PC line-up this year, in favor for the XBox.
You forget one thing. one thing that I don't think consoles will ever come close to recreating, and that's the ability to customize. I mean really edit the shit out of games. Yes. I can see them making some provisions to try to make it look like you can customize the game, however more as a shallow gimmick. There are too many things that limit this on a console.
All the console needs is a better input device (keyboard and mouse) and a hard drive to store mods, and it will as customizable as any PC. Heck, a hard drive and an internet connection is all you need to get some mods.

I missed a couple of other things too. Hard drives and the quality of visual output on your TV screens and monitors. Consoles are catching up to PCs, particularly since the introduction of the XBox.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

PC gaming is in decline since no proper games are made.
It's all cock and shit.
Mixed together.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

I missed a couple of other things too. Hard drives and the quality of visual output on your TV screens and monitors. Consoles are catching up to PCs, particularly since the introduction of the XBox.
I think you're neglecting to recall that with the advent of online capabilities, there arises a serious question as to whether people should be allowed. Cheating for one. Furthermore console games just seem a whole lot more proprietary than pc games in the area of modification.

I could see them coming out with some thing for proper mod teams to make gay modifications for gay games like quake or UT or BF:1942 However that wouldn't help someone like myself who cares nothing for what some "wannabe mainstream game developer" wants to change in an existing game. I want to be able to do things myself.
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

There is always an issue of cheating. Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 is one example if I recall, where it suffered from Diablo syndrome, saving characters on your own storage device, free to be tampered with. I'll have to try and find some more information on this. But that is more of an example of idiotic development choices than anything else.

And modifications have been falling more often into users hands when it comes to consoles, the XBox specifically. I think there is a way to get mods to work on Morrowind for the XBox, and I know there are mods for Halo on the XBox.

This is a very worrisome trend for console gaming, since it is now seriously enroaching on attributes that define the PC gaming genre.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

If there were games I wanted to play and loved on the consoles and not on PCs, I'd play on consoles. There are some games I like. Gamecube has most of them, but I'm hyped about san andreas, for instance.
But the PC has something that consoles don't have. For a start, it has everything on one screen, so I can chat on the internet, play a quick game of something, then go back to the internet. It also is highly customisable.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

But with that customization is the fact that PCs become obsolete faster than curtains burn. A cutting edge system today will be run-of-the-mill a year from now, and unless you constantly spend an arm and a leg on upgrades, you'll never have a killer system again. Whereas with consoles, there are no system requirements, no picking and choosing the right video card, no RAM upgrades....just pop in the disc and play. It's holistically simple, almost zen-like.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Oh, I've had my computer for 2 years and it has no problem running any game with maxed out settings.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Oh, I've had my computer for 2 years and it has no problem running any game with maxed out settings.
2years?
You must be playing tetris
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It's true I changed the video card. I don't play tetris though.
Arjuna
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Arjuna »

Koki wrote:Whoa, that's some cheap hardware you got there :drunk:
But the, who would have bought a GFX card which costs twice as much as 'normal', and does everything as good. Or even worse.
yeah I don't have a radeon pro, just a Geforce 4 which was doing ok till now. Saving up my money for a new 'normal' card.
Burnov wrote:I could see them coming out with some thing for proper mod teams to make gay modifications for gay games like quake
Well its definetley main stream but its not gay. Its what PC Gaming is all about, the variety of games. As far as I know shooters don't really work on consoles so far.
Subhuman wrote:But with that customization is the fact that PCs become obsolete faster than curtains burn.
definetely true but thats part of the fun of it. PC's have personality. They break down, they fuck up... they have to be upgraded.
Our Host!