Share your thoughts on a combat system for Fallout3

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Muhaaha! yes that is Herve in the flesh. I found old sphincter lips's piccie at GameSpy.

From the 2002 Interview:

Herve Caen: You've seen the games that Interplay does, they're great. It is just more than doing great games to be successful in the business environment. After all, this is a business, this is not about just doing games. Doing games and also creating shareholder value so we can keep doing so. It is not good making games and then eventually dying of that, right? So we have the content, which we are doing very, very good, and we are missing I think a piece of the execution and you certainly know that games were not shipping necessarily when they were supposed to ship and that hurts the business side. So that is what I am bringing to the table now that I'm running Interplay.

Well he has certainly proved himself to be a competent and dynamic CEO.

Read the complete interview
Ranger
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ranger »

I think everyone has made some good comments and provided some decent insight into this little matter..... I agree first person RT melee does suck, it's never been implimented right and the novelty wears off. But y'know, who's stopping them from making fallout games in many genres? They make fallout 3 first of course, and try to keep it as close to plan as possible. Then they can start releasing other games, in other genres (keeping them good fallout games, good not meaning what everyone on this forum want's but making them good games overall). That increases interest in fallout, maybe gets a few FPS and RTS and maybe even builder fans to check out the originals, and we then have the fanbase and revenue for FO4. Don't tell me I'm full of shit. A dreamer? Quite possibly, but it could still happen.
Reagan smash!!!!
Reagan sleep!!!
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

maybe gets a few FPS and RTS
That is blasphemy, you realize?
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Ranger

I see nothing wrong with your comments. I to love the original Fallout series, that does not mean that I can't like the Bethesda spin on a new game if they are good RPG's. As for non RPG Fallout games, perhaps they can make the trigger pullers happy enough to finance more Fallout RPG's (like you said). I am trying to be positive about this.

Another fact is that, I HATE swords and magic RPG's so having another post APOC RPG around is going to be a good thing even if it isnt as Fallouty as I would like. I am excited by the new game Restricted Area which has just gone gold in Germany in one day. It will be here in the USA in a few months I am told.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I don't buy that argument that whoring out the license even more is going to somehow create a Fallout Rennaissance. If they don't want to do a TB/Iso game now because a RT/FPS would be more commercially successfull, why the fuck would they ever go back to TB/Iso if the FPS became a commercial hit like they wanted it to be? That's a slippery slope.

So by buying shitty FO spin-offs you're hoping it will subsidise the next great FO?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Buying shitty FO spin-offs will make them think "gee whillikers, these FP shooters sure do sell well..."

If you boycott first person games, they won't be made, because they don't sell well.
does this work
CrazyNick
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by CrazyNick »

I think that maybe in some cases a 1st person persective for melle combat woulb be a good idea. The idea of hit then be hit is getting old. The impletation of vehicles was a great idea in F2. I liked the tactics idea of running over your enimies :P

I think they should but a target board like in F1/2 but with a "shoot in the fucking face" option
It's the sandwich that takes a bite out of YOU!
Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Oh, shut the fuck up. Jesus! Dead threads ahoy!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It made me remember xbow :sadblinky:
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

Snif snif.. Dead things? oh wait, it's my dick..
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Ezechial_Rage
Regular
Regular

Post by Ezechial_Rage »

Ranger wrote: Then they can start releasing other games, in other genres (keeping them good fallout games, good not meaning what everyone on this forum want's but making them good games overall). That increases interest in fallout, maybe gets a few FPS and RTS and maybe even builder fans to check out the originals, and we then have the fanbase and revenue for FO4. Don't tell me I'm full of shit. A dreamer? Quite possibly, but it could still happen.
If they started making Fallout games in genres other than rpg, those "fans" would expect something much different from a Fallout rpg than the rest of us. Doing this would only lead to the developers watering down a true sequel to Fallout to cater to fans of the other genres. No Thanks!
kingcomrade
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by kingcomrade »

It should play like Halo, cuz Halo is teh best RPG ever. They should make it so you can only carry 2 guns. It makes you do decision!
Bloodlust
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bloodlust »

:crazy:
hello, new guy!
have you been tubgirled yet?
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

Yeah. Just like in real life you can carry only 2 guns. No matter the size of gun or carry equipment.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

remember: we want THE fallout feel, wich we don't get from first person real time blahblah and so on....I say fuck all, we won't get the fallout3 we want no matter what, drink and be happy.

huzzah :drunk:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Bloodlust
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bloodlust »

Kahgan wrote:remember: we want THE fallout feel, wich we don't get from first person real time blahblah and so on....I say fuck all, we won't get the fallout3 we want no matter what, drink and be happy.

huzzah :drunk:
Words of Wizdom by poor old Kahgan :joy:
Be prepared for teh Hallout 3:A post nuclear two weapon switching rpg
HUZZAH :drunk:
hello, new guy!
have you been tubgirled yet?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

kingcomrade wrote:They should make it so you can only carry 2 guns. It makes you do decision!
Realism != fun
Our Host!