Old west RPG idea

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Are you actually planning to make this Kash? Who's involved?

D:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I want in. Me me me. Pick me.
Harriers for the cup.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'd help, but my skills would be limited to polishing the English for items, dialogue, character descriptions, etc.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Everyone here already speaks English? And fantastically, I might add.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

He uses babelfish

D:
Goggles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goggles »

I think maybe he means little things like "none of them is..." instead of "none of them are..."
Also, what about a bit of 'steam punk' mixed in there? Not so much as Arcanum, but it seemed to work really well in that.
Fuck You
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

atoga wrote:Everyone here already speaks English? And fantastically, I might add.
I was just saying an English major would probably do a fairly decent job at proofreading. Also, because we have so many non-native English speakers here, some of them will more than likely be involved. While mistakes in wording are fine for forum conversations just so long as you get the point across, if you want to make a professional-looking product mistakes like that have no place.

And I guess, if it was really needed, I could do some 3D modelling (low-poly models, of course) and character animation through the use of TrueSpace 2 and Poser.
Goggles wrote:Also, what about a bit of 'steam punk' mixed in there? Not so much as Arcanum, but it seemed to work really well in that.
If that happens, we might as well go for turn of the century America. I saw a movie once - I forget the title - that took place near the end of the wild west era. Cowboys and outlaws were doing their thing as a dying breed while powerlines and telegraph wires were going up.[/quote]
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kevin Kline is so sexy.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

I vote we make a mod
does this work
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

... I'm not making a mod. Or a game of any kind. Not at the moment at least. I have none of the resources, skills or contacts necessary, like I wrote earlier. I was just playing around with the idea. And this is the internet, after all, so why not play with your friends?

I have the rough idea of keeping the setting "pure" of things alá Wild Wild West the movie or Frisco Country Jr. the tv-show. No sci-fi, no steampunk. Just good ol' 6 shooters, desert, saloon fights, outlaws, horses, prostitutes... Everything old west style.

I have one wild dream though: perhaps we'll manage to polish up a great concept for a computer roleplaying game that can be sent to some gaming house and *maybe* they'll agree with us on it's excellency and decide they'll start developing the game.

There's nothing guaranteed, I was just hoping you'd like to contribute to this idea, like I did on my first post in this thread.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Retlaw68 wrote:And I guess, if it was really needed, I could do some 3D modelling (low-poly models, of course) and character animation through the use of TrueSpace 2 and Poser.
I can help you with some of the modelling also. I'm running 3ds MAX r5, so you could just send me your meshes for texturing/rendering. I can also help proofread the material if you want (i does english good, don't me?).
Kashluk wrote:perhaps we'll manage to polish up a great concept for a computer roleplaying game that can be sent to some gaming house and *maybe* they'll agree with us on it's excellency and decide they'll start developing the game.
Or we could just do it ourselves... maybe we can convince Steve that Phoenix is just a figment of his imagination and get his help on our wild west RPG?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Unfortunetly Steve is busy with other projects besides the imiginary project.
Harriers for the cup.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

uhhhhhhhhhhh.....................steve?

I'm drawin' a blank here
does this work
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Steve the man behind the "Phoenix-project". A so-to-be post apocalpyptic roleplaying / adventure game, that never appeared to be done besides a few early developement phase screenshots.

It's *possible* for us to do it by ourselves. But it would have to be a mod in that case, because I doubt we have the abilities to make a game from scratch and just for fun -> no profit. Business like this works really shitty over the internet.

But anyways, if anyone still feels like contributing and/or willing to give this mod/game idea a try, feel free to do so. That's what this thread is all about. Maybe we can gather enough people able to work out a mod?
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

I'm here, I posted a poll in FOT modding a day or so ago, you should check it out.
does this work
Goggles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goggles »

If nothing else, it would be relatively easy to go through Fallout 1 town by town and just replace sprites and dialogue options.
Fuck You
NOT A PEDOPHILE
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by NOT A PEDOPHILE »

Retlaw83 wrote:I was just saying an English major would probably do a fairly decent job at proofreading.
not necessarily, seeing as how not everybody (and especially in the west) speaks with perfect grammar
DISCLAIMER: Please ignore my posts. I am stupid and suffer from uncontrollable verbal diarrhea.
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

not necessarily, seeing as how not everybody (and especially in the west) speaks with perfect grammar
You need;

1. Consistency.

2. Using the proper dialect of the region.

I would imagine that an English major, particularly one with an interest in western movies/novels, to be quite useful in achieving those two goals. Having shoddy grammar that does not fit the setting really kills the immersion into the game.
Our Host!