Old west RPG idea

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kashluk

Old west RPG idea

Post by Kashluk »

I've been thinking lately how cool it would be to play an RPG set in the wild, wild west. The dust, the tumbleweeds... The soft sounds of harmonica and some sharp whistling in the background... Clinking spurs, hanging revolvers, reloading sound of a Winchester... The odd giggle of a prostitute and broken whiskey bottles. Oh boy.

I think the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system could do Old West justice. A game set in the American (south-)west, somewhere between the 1860's and 1880's. The core would not have to be changed much, only some minor tweaking would be needed and more things could be added to enchance the gameplay. The game would be isometric and combat would be turn-based, of course, to provide a similar pleasure we experienced while playing Fallout.

Attributes

You can't carry as much shit. 150 kg / 300 lbs for one guy? No way, this ain't going to happen. The cap for a guy with 10 strength should be around half of that => 70 kg / 140 lbs, considering that he needs to be capable of running, dodging, crouching etc. And weak characters should get used to the fact, that if they don't want to end up winded half-way through their 50 yard walk, they better be carrying only their clothes and guns, nothing more.Most attributes should be balanced in many ways to fit the setting and the renewed skills system better.

Skills

Simplify the system a bit. Maybe like this:
  • Small Guns => Pistols. This skill would cover all kinds of short/small weapons, ranging from revolvers to sawed-off shotguns.
    Big Guns => Rifles. This skill would cover all kinds of long/large weapons, basically meaning full-sized rifles and shotguns.
    Unarmed and Melee Weapons => HtH combat. To make fighting with your fists and knives worth the skill point investment.
    Throwing => Like it used to be.
    Lockpick and Traps => Tinkering. This basically means one skill that's used to disarming traps and lockpicking doors alike.
    Steal => Like it used to be.
    Outdoorsman => Like it used to be.
    Repair and Science => Repairman-skill. Again, one skill that's used for both kinds of tasks. Fixing your gun, reinforcing your boots, repairing a well etc.
    Speech => Like it used to be.
    Gambling => Like it used to be.
That makes nine skills. Two can be tagged.

Horses

Horses can carry about 1/6 of their own weight as extra load. So that means a 700 kg (~1400 lbs) horse could carry an 80 kg (~160 lbs) man and about 36 kg (~72 lbs) of his equipment. Working horses can carry relatively more, but they are slow when on the other hand riding horses can carry less, but they're fast. Mules would be poor on both sectors, but they're cheap. You could buy an extra mule to carry your shit around, for example. omg omg dungeon siege omg lollorz!!1 It would be important to have enough horses to carry around your merchandise if you plan to earn a living as a travelling merchant.

Clothing/Armor and Hide-feature

Because there wasn't much armor worn in the old west, your clothing should be of some more use than just good looks. Depending on the type of coat you wear, it should have different kinds of uses. A long coat (trenchcoat) can hide even rifles and shotguns. So you can walk to a Saloon with your loaded 2-barrelled without anyone suspecting anything before you draw your weapon. Generally it wouldn't be acceptable to carry big weapons into public places (not even revolvers to some). A normal jacket could only cover revolvers, sawed-off shotguns, dynamite, knives and things like that.

But a long coat is more uncomfortable to wear and cumbersome. You get a negative modifier to your agility from wearing a long coat, even though it may look cool and help hide your stuff. You could also add armor plates (read: steel plates) to your coats. A long coat would therefore cover both your torso and your legs while a normal jacket could with plating would only cover your torso. The material of the coat would also matter. A cloth coat weights less but means less protection while a leather coat weights more but also means more protection. You could add armor plates to both.

Clothing could be named "A(n) [armored or not] [material] [type]", ie. "An armored leather jacket" or "A cotton coat". Boots, gloves and hats would also have functions. Hats provide protection from the sun glare and therefore ease your aim, gloves can be reinforced and therefore can bring you a HtH-combat bonus. Boots are not compulsory, but you better have some, unless you want to be a victim of random damage (shattered glass, rusty nails, sharp rocks) caused by your lack of footware. Boots can also be enchanced with steel-tipped toes, that provide you another HtH-bonus. But all reinforcements also weight a lot, so you have to be strong enough to carry around all that iron.

Boots could come in different sizes (S, M and L for example), which means you (and your party members) could only wear boots of their own size. You might be bare-foot, but can't take the boots of a first person that comes buy, becomes you're size M and those boots are size S. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable feature in a game, but it has some potential.

Weaponry and Ammunition

CALIBERS
- .16 gauge
- .12 gauge

All calibers should have some kinds of JHP and AP / buckshot and slug variants.

FIREARMS
- Normal revolvers in .22 (7 rnd chamber), .32 (6 rnds), .44 (6 rnds) and .45 (6 rnds)
- Pocket revolvers (can be hidden without jackets/coats) in the same calibers as above, less range / damage than normal revolvers
- Deringer pocket pistol, two shots of .22, easily concealed
- Lever-action rifles in .22 (21 rnd mag), .32 (15 rnd mag), .44 and .45 (both 10 rnd mags), scoped versions also
- Revolver-action rifles in .44 and .45 (6 rnds), scoped versions also
- Two- and one barrelled shotguns in both .16 and .12
- Two barrelled sawed-off shotguns in the same as above, less range, conceavable and faster than long barrelled shotguns
- Lever-action shotguns in .16 (6 rnd mag) and .12 gauge (5 rnd mag)

OTHER
- Dynamite, throwable and plantable
- Knives, machetes, throwing knives
- Axes, tomahawks
- Spears, clubs

Various things I had in mind

Instead of the whole Radiation Poisoning deal, you could have a hidden water addiction factor and a showing "thirst tolerance" meter (stolen from the FOT: modding forums). Every character needs to get a sip of water every day. One canteen could last for, say, two weeks and it would have (unrealistically) low weight, so carrying around water wouldn't become such a pain in the ass. You could refill your canteens at wells pretty much anywhere. A shot of whiskey or any other liquor would serve as thirst killers as well, but alcohol (as we know) has some side effects. Although, maybe if your character chooses the trait "Drunken Fighter" in the character creation scene, he could get more easily addicted to alcohol but he earns some HtH-combat bonuses from getting drunk?

There could also be some scripted scenarios where you get drunk with your friends or associates. Depending on your intelligence and charisma you can avoid getting wasted, but if you're unlucky, you end up in a fight after you tumble out of the Saloon straight into enemy's hands, dead drunk. That could be interesting.

You could be able to rob banks, become a sheriff of some town, drive cattle, protect caravans / stage-coaches, interfere with military's and native Americans' affairs, kill the governor, burn down a town, catch wanted outlaws or join them, buy a farm with a steward (if you get filthy rich, like the castle in Baldur's Gate 2) and perhaps get married / hassle in a whorehouse.

------------

Any thoughts?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I think that you have the beginnings for a very good game idea. I'm a huge fan of Old West type stuff, so this game would be right up my alley.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, well, the problem is none of the big game houses have the balls to make a Wild West or Turn-based game - not to mention them both together! Maybe if Troika would get interested?

I haven't got skills in any department besides general design, so I ain't going to start making a mod or a game of my own either (I tried it with FOT but I ended up screwing up the hard drive and lost everything, so I gave up).
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

wow

Post by Janus Matchell »

I like the idea do you have anything else completed for it? Also did you already start working on it when you were posting? I am interested in knowing more please get something more concrete completed.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

You could include Horse-Riding as another skill, but I have to say that's one bitching idea.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

It makes me sad that this idea will probably never reach fruition. If it does though . . . :drunk:
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

just keep up the good ideas kash
does this work
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

Will there be a central storyline in this game?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Technically its not even a game yet, but I'd be willing to lend my writing skills and designing expertise.
Harriers for the cup.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

I like it. I think the game's style could pretty much be identical to Fallout, except Western rather than post-apoc. That would rule.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

could we possibly make this a FOT or FO2 mod?
does this work
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

If someone had the skills, time and money to do so. I'm a never-ending well of ideas (and my ass is full of many things, yeah) and these just popped into my head after watching Young Guns II and Fistful of Dollars.

To clear it up for you, I haven't got anything done. Just a few sheets of paper full of these kinds of ideas, written with a pencil. No one has contacted me about this idea nor have I contacted anyone (besides you guys). Most likely this idea will never make it to the developement phase, but I really really hope so.

I can't do graphics, programming or mapping. I'm a designer and beta-tester of sorts, but even for those two I haven't got much skill or time. Any ideas of gaming firms who could be interested in this? SPECIAL - system licence can propably be bought dirt cheap, that's not much of a problem, but finding brave enough publisher and developer is already quite a challenge.

Troika? JoWood? Anyone?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I got some time in the designers chair as a contracter for certain designers, but thats it. Also, we've talked about an old west rpg for ages.....I think either Franz, Spazmo, or Atoga mentioned the idea the first time I heard it. Or maybe it was you? I dunno, one of you guys who was around here longer then I.
Harriers for the cup.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, the idea of a wild west rpg has been living in our midst for years now... But no one has ever really thought anything deeper about it ie. what rule system to use, isometric/1st person, real time/turn based etc. etc.

Do you think I should really start asking around? Not that people would take a randomly e-mailing Finn seriously, but still.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

In a couple years I'll be a good enough programmer to do it... but until then, you're gonna have to look to some other comp sci geek.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fuck all that and use the GURPS system. It's grittier... more gritty. And it should be, by and large, historical, damn it.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

We'll see... We'll see.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I'll write a bunch of crap about my thoughts when I've the time, dig?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Goggles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goggles »

I'll help out with textures if this thing gets off the ground as a mod.
Fuck You
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, right now, I'm just looking for more ideas and support for this (to-be) game. If you have anything to add to my thoughts in the original post, then feel free to submit them here.
Our Host!