GTA SA

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

GTA2 had multiplayer, which was huge fun in LAN with a few friends and very fucking hilarious. GTA3 was bad and got very boring after a while. Vice City fixed that a bit, but I still miss the good old GTA2 feeling.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*sets fire to sau..saur... that things hair*

Grand Theft Auto's move into 3d enviroments was orchestrated perfectly, keeping the feel and all the good points while giving it far more potential. Do not speak of GTA III that way.

And your name burns away a few thousand more braincells every time i read it. *sigh*
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

That's on purpose. I'm planning on making it move each time your eyes touch it. Epilepsy ensues.

I think the overhead view of GTA2 was much better than GTA3's behind view.

I'm not saying GTA3 and VC are bad. They're fun and I own them both and enjoyed playing them. They're just completely different from GTA2, and I enjoyed GTA2 more than 3 and VC.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

One of the most enjoyable things for me in Vice City was, believe it or not, watching the cut-scenes for the story missions.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller

Post by Guest »

The best thing about Vice City for me was the music. FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD omg

Actually, that was the second-best thing. The best thing was the sheer freedom to explore. That, and all the pretty palm trees.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yuo can't explore that much. The world's pretty limited and the graphics/textures are repetitive. It's really the content, story and freedom to punch people that makes it interesting. VC was better than the third installment in this domain.

Edit : Of course the music is awesome.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Meh, I've never played any of the GTAs -- I just watch Magnum PI and Miami Vice.

Post by Guest »

You can explore more than any other game before it, even RPGs. It gives you a (technically small) world to go nuts in, but you can go anywhere in the world with very few restrictions.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But the world still doesn't offer you much to do, so what's the use? You can have the freedom of circling around stealing cars and hitting the booty, but what's the point when it leads nowhere?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kashluk wrote:But the world still doesn't offer you much to do, so what's the use? You can have the freedom of circling around stealing cars and hitting the booty, but what's the point when it leads nowhere?
Exactly. And the blend textures make it even more like you're always in the same place.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

It is my sincere hope that GTA:SA has children. Yes. It is my sincere belief that the original GTA had superior multiplayer gameplay than any of it's successors. Yes. :drunk:
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Since we're already on the topic of the original GTA: It's up for download at Rockstar's page. Maybe old news, but I'm sure some of you didn't know about it.

Here
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

San Andreas takes place over a state. There's 3 cities and stuff in between. The game is as big as 10 or so of the first island in gta:vc. It's meant to take 150 hours to complete. Models have 50% more polygons than in vice. The lighting system has also been overhauled and you can hide in the shadows.

The draw distance is meant to be at least 2x that of vice city, there's also not meant to be any load times. The controls have been changed so you can control the camera with the right analog stick and move your character around with the left.

Everything you do modifies your character. You shoot guns a lot, you get better at shooting guns. You eat a lot you get fat, you excercise a lot you get muscles. You can also buy clothes, get a haircut and tattoos.

There's bicycles, monster trucks, combine harvesters and police bikes in the game. There may also be skateboards. You can swim, play basketball and gamble. The game is also gang orientated, so you can take over other peoples turf and have people from your gang follow you around.

You can also rob specific houses when you're in a truck like you can do vigilante missioms when you're in a cop car. When you're targetting someone the camera will go on CJs shoulder. You can learn different fighting styles at each city, like kung-fu and street fighting.

It's also released 26th October US, 29th UK. Pc release expected next May.

I'm looking forward to it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

... and how the hell are they planning to do this properly with PS2's technology, may I ask? If it's 10 billion zillion times bigger and prettier than VC?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote:combine harvesters
ooh mang, I'm lovin' it
can you get killed in stairs though?
Kashluk wrote:... and how the hell are they planning to do this properly with PS2's technology, may I ask? If it's 10 billion zillion times bigger and prettier than VC?
maybe they're more familiar with the developing platform already? I'm sure no dev has used ps2 to it's full potential yet. just compare the old games of ps1 to some of the later ones (for example the ridge racer series).
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

I remember reading somewhere that they're going to use "Dual Layer DVD 9" which means that they can get a shitload more information.
Some Website wrote: Unlike single-layer discs, which hold 4.7 billion bytes (or 4.37GB) of data, dual-layer recordable media store a whopping 8.5 billion bytes (7.95GB).

A dual-layer DVD has two layers for storage of data. One of the layers is semi-transparent so that the laser can focus through it and read the second layer so that data on both layers can be read from the same side of the disc. A dual-layer disc can hold almost twice as much storage space as a single-layer disc. Since the laser can read both layers from one side, there is no need to flip the disc as in the case of double-sided single-layer discs. Dual-layer DVD discs are much more difficult to manufacture than the double-sided single-layer disc.

In a dual-layer disc, the second layer can use either a PTP (parallel track path) layout where both tracks run in parallel, or an OTP (opposite track path) layout where the second track runs in an opposite spiral. Advanced DVD authoring software such as Sonic Solutions Scenarist allows the DVD author to define this type of layout. The OTP layout is more suitable to provide continuous video playback across both layers. The layer change can occur anywhere in the video stream and does not have to be at the end of a chapter. However, it usually is specified at the end of a DVD cell. The layer change is invisible on most DVD players, but it can cause some noticeable delay during playback on some players depending upon the program material on the disc. Most full-length Hollywood titles are packaged in dual-layer DVD to provide high quality video at higher bit rate.

The DVD specification requires that players and DVD drives read dual-layer discs. A dual-layer DVD is commonly refered to as a DVD-9 disc for its approximate 9 gigabytes of storage space.
Last edited by boywoos on Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

That's just info storage, but how about the processing power? Gimp may be right, maybe they're more familiar with the platform now... But gee - it better be well optimized to run without lag, no matter how familiar they are with the system. 50% addition to polygons and no loading times sounds a bit huge for something as simple as a Playstation.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Sounds neato to me :dance:
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

It is simple but very effective. You don't gave to take into account all of the shitty bloated programmes that a PC runs. I think this is gonna be fucking awesome and I can't wait.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Now I'm excited D:

Hide!
Our Host!