Doom 3

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

This movie is barely in preprodection. Universal is going to make it, with Enda McCallion(a noob) as director, and Dave Callaham as screenwriter. There are no actors yet, no other staff. Talks really haven't taken place. The Rock says he's kinda interested. Its slated for an August 2005 release as of now.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

They've always they planned on making it PG-13. And a couple weeks ago they announced they were basing it off of Doom 3 instead of Doom 1, which changes the setting from Phobos/Deimos to Mars itself.

I don't know how in the hell they could make a movie based on Doom 3 and keep it PG-13, with how horrific it is. The horror elements alone in that game make it for mature audiences only - not to mention all the twisted religious imagery, like bodies having pentegrams carved in them and people being crucified upside-down.

There's also a lot of hypocrisy there, turning an M rated game into a PG-13 movie.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Hey, it worked for AvP didn't i--oh, wait.

Anyways, Phobos and Deimos are kinda the moons of Mars, so it makes more sense to set the game on the red planet anyhow.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Spazmo wrote:Hey, it worked for AvP didn't i--oh, wait.

Anyways, Phobos and Deimos are kinda the moons of Mars, so it makes more sense to set the game on the red planet anyhow.
The concept of the first game, revealed through text at the end of boss fights, was that the UAC were doing they're naughty experiments on Phobos and Deimos. After clearing Phobos you teleport to Deimos; after Deimos you descend into hell. Once you fight through hell - I believe its after crossing the River Styx - you arrive on Earth to find it overrun, which sets up the sequel quite nicely.
- the Vault Dweller
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

such gayness

Post by Janus Matchell »

WHY is it going to be PG-13?! They do this with everything that is good and holy. They did it with Hell Boy, AvP, Spawn and probably countless others. I want to see it an R with everything that made DOOM the badass award winning title that we all have come to know and love today. I wish they would give the project to someone more experience when it comes to sci-fi horror like James Cameron or Paul Verhoeven. I would like Verhoeven to direct because he does violence and death right like in Total Recall and Robo Cop. Also get someone who's better writer like Harland Elison or Ray Bradbury maybe even Clive Barker. Also for music beg Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson to do it because they are good for the job and make good music that creates the atmosphere needed for DOOM. Also get stan winston on creature effects and Tom Savini on gore and stuff then you pretty have the most Awesome movie ever made.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

PG-13 is not set yet. People just assume it will be.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

hey man

Post by Janus Matchell »

I guess you got a point but it seems to be a popular trend right before a movie hits theatres to change it to a PG-13 rather than R. I want to see crazy shit and things blowing up and bodies flying around rather than having the camera pan away from all that is cool in DOOM.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

half of doom is the satanic imagery and the humans with genetials ripped out. in pg 13 you can't do that
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

The other half is crazy monsters and the ripped genitalia being thrown at you in dark corridors.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: such gayness

Post by Retlaw83 »

Janus Matchell wrote:Also for music beg Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson to do it because they are good for the job and make good music that creates the atmosphere needed for DOOM.
I would really love it if for the movie music they they took the MIDI files from the original Doom's load screen and E1M1, then redid them with real instruments. They should do a couple variations on E1M1's song and loop them through all the action scenes. Hell, the song they continually played during action sequences in Blackhawk Down was only 2:30 long, and it never got stale.
- the Vault Dweller
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Re: such gayness

Post by Janus Matchell »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Janus Matchell wrote:Also for music beg Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson to do it because they are good for the job and make good music that creates the atmosphere needed for DOOM.
I would really love it if for the movie music they they took the MIDI files from the original Doom's load screen and E1M1, then redid them with real instruments. They should do a couple variations on E1M1's song and loop them through all the action scenes. Hell, the song they continually played during action sequences in Blackhawk Down was only 2:30 long, and it never got stale.
That would be badass but do that but let Trent Reznor do it. His music especially the downward spiral, musically seemed to be the embodiement of the DOOM universe although they were different.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

King of Creation wrote:PG-13 is not set yet. People just assume it will be.
Nope.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3 ... 81603.html

I found a link to the hollywood reporter article but you've gotta subscribe to see it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollyw ... id=1712745
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Two interesting things about that.

Last I heard, id had contacted Universal, not Warner Brothers.

Second, the article said that the next Doom game should be finished next year. I found that funny, because on the G4TechTV show "Icons", Todd Hollenshead said they "aren't going to turn around and do a Doom 4".

So... does this mean its developement elsewhere, or did id change its mind?
- the Vault Dweller
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

stupid

Post by Janus Matchell »

It seems like hollywood is a goddammed Bureaucracy. It takes them forever to get a good idea put together and by then it goes from something original to a whittled down pussy piece of shit PG or PG-13 rating which sucks because the damn people who had the original idea gut fucked 6 ways till tuesday and it ain't fun for anyone. I hate it when good ideas get butchered.
Last edited by Janus Matchell on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Retlaw83 wrote:I found that funny, because on the G4TechTV show "Icons", Todd Hollenshead said they "aren't going to turn around and do a Doom 4".
iD isn't but someone else is. They said they wouldn't, but Raven's doing a Quake 4, they'll probably do a Doom 4 too. It is going to be done.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

killkill

Post by Janus Matchell »

So is DOOM 4 going to be a remake of DOOM 2 except with better graphics (although perfect they could always stand improvement) and a more detailed storyline.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: killkill

Post by Retlaw83 »

Janus Matchell wrote:So is DOOM 4 going to be a remake of DOOM 2 except with better graphics (although perfect they could always stand improvement) and a more detailed storyline.
I'd imagine it would have to be a remake of Doom 2, seeing as though the whole point to Doom 3 was to stop the demons from reaching Earth. A hallmark of Doom is that although the hero fights hard and always survives, he never really wins.
- the Vault Dweller

Post by Guest »

So that would make Doom 3 before Doom 1 and 2 in chronological order, correct?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

fallout ranger wrote:So that would make Doom 3 before Doom 1 and 2 in chronological order, correct?
No. Doom 3 takes place as if the first two never happened.
- the Vault Dweller
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Janus Matchell »

Retlaw83 wrote:
fallout ranger wrote:So that would make Doom 3 before Doom 1 and 2 in chronological order, correct?
No. Doom 3 takes place as if the first two never happened.
\

Thanks Retlaw83 for clarifying that for FR it was as if the first 2 had never happened also won't they need to change the system a bit to make the encounters with enemies a little bit more widescale so that they can have big battles on earth. it would be awesome so if they make Doom 4 won't they make a Doom 5:Final Doom or do you think they will stop whoring the game out after 4?
Our Host!