Unpacking trouble

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
blueparrot1966
SDF!
SDF!

Unpacking trouble

Post by blueparrot1966 »

I'm having trouble unpacking the Fallout 2 dat files. I read the sticky here, and it should have been just what I needed.

But datman gives me an error "activex component can't create object" when I try to unpack the master.dat file. I've tried to run the patch, and I get an error "zlib.dll" not found. I then found zlib.dll and downloaded that, which changes the error to can't find regocx32.exe.

f2undat won't even start for me.

I think I've gone to a pretty honest effort to work this out for myself. Can anyone out there help? What am I missing?

It was a blast using the game audio player to convert that F2 goodness to waves, and I'd really love to do the same with the graphincs. Thanks in advance for any help.
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

Have you got the ZlibTool.zip file? if so unpack it and run the patch file inside, that should asocaite the DLLs
blueparrot1966
SDF!
SDF!

Post by blueparrot1966 »

I never did get Datman to work for me, I used one of the other unpackers, but thanks for the reply.

I've got a different question now, which I'll repost in another thread, too. Some of the best graphics files don't display properly, and I'm figuring they use a special pallette. I've figured out that that's why a screen capture utility wasn't working for me, either.

But I've tried loading all of the pallettes frorm the Master.dat filie, using Ice-Berg's .frm converter, and I've had no luck displaying them properliy. Surely there's a way to save things like the "Please stand by" splash screen as a .jpg that'll show up normally on a standard computer program like Paint. I've seen it done with a few. Can anyone give me a hint on how to do it?
wild_qwerty
Regular
Regular

Post by wild_qwerty »

You need to use the palatte file with the same name as the image you are trying to convert
Our Host!