Rayguns and Robots

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

I've completed courses on business, economics, media arts, marketting, and advertising.

I'm pragmatic and the field of art is my specialty. But art is less talent and more lowest common denomenator appeal, which is unfortunate, because marketting is bullshit and people are stupid.
Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Marketing classes = How to fuck people in 3 easy steps !
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Engineering classes = some science, mostly diposing of marketeer corpses.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Everyone studying marketing should get a permanent rank of game molestor. Or maybe asslogger.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

ROFL, I second this motion.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

asslogger D:
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Asslogger, it has a nice ring to it.
Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

There should always be an organization that holds the majority of the tech, so something would have to roll around to take the place of the Enclave (if after Fallout 2) or the Brotherhood (if between the two). Though I think it would be a lot neater if, after the Enclave was blown to smithereens, the whole world was rendered (relatively) tech-less for a while, since the Brotherhood and the Enclave are both pretty much gone. The player could play a big part in bringing back technology to the wasteland. Or something.

Marketing classes are for losers. They're like wannabe Psychology classes, and we already know how easy those are. Be a man and take a real social science!
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Do arts! D:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Hey, arts are good if you actually apply yourself. The problem is that most art students are lazy drunkard fuckwits with made up cocaine addictions, striped shirts and emo glasses.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Some arts classes are OK.

I know my cousin is in some shit program which is a mix of psychology, sexuality and arts and it sounds like she's pretty much drawing random shit all the time. I've seen her drawings, and her drawing the drawings, and it too her like 5 minutes to do them. Even the big ones which are supposed to be like exams. And she's applying herself. It's just a stupid class. I mean what the hell, I should be able to pass the exams at home too.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

atoga wrote: a real social science!
Hell yeah! That'll be my next destination in 3-4 years: Social sciences at a mid-sized university. Yeehaw.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

So many interesting and great ideas

Post by Janus Matchell »

I have been trying to keep up with this topic because so far alot the ideas you folks have mentioned so far have been great from a system of building objects to making it essential that you actually have to think for once instead of kill, kill ,kill! I was curious as to whether or not you folks here on this topic have tried to tell Bethesda what wonderful ideas you have for Fo3. I would like to see them interact with fans for a change rather than marketing because I believe in quality over anything else in a game. A good example of lack of quality was Fallout:BOS for consoles it majorly sucked balls because they pay attention to the demographic charts from the previous three Fallouts. Which in turn caused Fo:POS to fail in a major way. Here's link that is not only funny but the truth for alot of games that come out now: http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=video_games

Have fun and please don't lambast me,
Janus :crazy:
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Cuthbert Allgood
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuthbert Allgood »

Yeah Fallout bos for console did suck, they did that with baldurs gate too.....

Maddox is fucking funny.... anyone who didn't use your link should!
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Thoth
SDF!
SDF!

Re: all three of you guys have hit the nail on the head

Post by Thoth »

It depends on how much time has past, in-game, since Fallout 2. The longer the timespan between F2 and F3, the more I'm willing to tolerate a higher-tech future. Fallout 2's tech level seemed fine for me, because one of Fallout's endings basically says "the BOS releases technology with little chaos or alarm".

If F3 takes place 80 years after F2, I could tolerate seeing a much more technologically quasi-advanced major cities. Outside of those cities, however, life is still essentially "wasteland" like.

And finally, let's not forget the lesson of Firefly: If you've set something in the future, people are going to get turned off if you show everyone using bows and arrows.
The human wheel is {?could be}
a metaphor for computer game {?time};

(circumstances are cyclical)

Fallout will return.
You must go to them.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Thoth wrote:It depends on how much time has past, in-game, since Fallout 2. The longer the timespan between F2 and F3, the more I'm willing to tolerate a higher-tech future. Fallout 2's tech level seemed fine for me, because one of Fallout's endings basically says "the BOS releases technology with little chaos or alarm".
The trouble of releasing technology is people need to know how to use it and maintain it, with the Brotherhood in decline, the Enclave toast, and Vault City isolationist there's not a lot of people around to teach others how to keep the technology running. New Arroyo might of had two garden of eden kits, but how much knowledge of laser pistols, power armour and computers did they retain? If they are going to start rebuilding it would be much better to have them reinvent more simple technologies and have the futuristic stuff kept to the minimum.
Thoth wrote:And finally, let's not forget the lesson of Firefly: If you've set something in the future, people are going to get turned off if you show everyone using bows and arrows.
I've only seen a couple of episodes of Firefly, it did seem a little odd that their weapons were replicas of ancient designs but I'm sure there was more involved with it's cancellation than that. Since it's a sci-fi show and Fallout is a post apocalyptic game there's no real comparison. Most people when picking up something labeled 'Post Apocalyptic' would expect low tech, cobbled together weapons and armour than laser weapons and power armour. Besides from a dramatic view point the low tech, struggle for survival scenario is more interesting than the high tech rebuilt world. A single barely working robot more intriguing than a horde of shiny robots etc etc.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Thoth
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Thoth »

The trouble of releasing technology is people need to know how to use it and maintain it, with the Brotherhood in decline, the Enclave toast, and Vault City isolationist there's not a lot of people around to teach others how to keep the technology running.
All it takes is a single knowledgeable person to reasonably train 10/100/1000 people how to take care of something.
Most people when picking up something labeled 'Post Apocalyptic' would expect low tech, cobbled together weapons and armour than laser weapons and power armour.
I think people expect laser weapons, power armor, that sort of thing. Even Fallout exemplfies this: action-oriented post-apoc games deal with high technology after most of the world loses knowledge of it.

Fallout will return.
You must go to them.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Thoth wrote:All it takes is a single knowledgeable person to reasonably train 10/100/1000 people how to take care of something.
But in the Fallout universe those with the knowledge are fading away and tend to prefer to keep it to themselves. It's a good trading ploy, you sell them the goods and tell them how to look after the goods they don't need you any more. But if you sell them the goods and keep how to maintain and reproduce them to yourself people will keep having to come back to you. Only there's fewer and fewer people to go to in the first place.
Thoth wrote:I think people expect laser weapons, power armor, that sort of thing. Even Fallout exemplfies this: action-oriented post-apoc games deal with high technology after most of the world loses knowledge of it.
Most people's first introduction to Post Apocalyptic fiction are films like Mad Max, A Boy and His Dog, Planet of The Apes etc etc There's not a lot of ray guns in those films. Same with the books, I can't think of any I've read that had such high tech devices. Sure there were some that had enclaves of knowledge and technology hidden away, but they don't tend to have armies of robots, mutants and guys in power armour running around with plasma rifles.

I wouldn't call Fallout Action orientated, it's an rpg and while combat is a fairly important part of most rpgs, maybe more so given it's lawless frontier atmosphere, it's not the be all and end all of the game. I think most people here love the game for it's multiple options, that combat is not the only solution to a situation.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Thoth
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Thoth »

But in the Fallout universe those with the knowledge are fading away and tend to prefer to keep it to themselves
Except that pesky Fallout 1 ending where it states the Brotherhood begins slowly introducing and teaching others about technology.

Fallout will return.
You must go to them.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

but, in FO2 the enclave went toe to toe with the BOS. In one bukner anyways... One can assume that more were attacked. And then one blew up the enclöave, the most advanced organization.
And, assuming that the enclave whooped some bos ass, that would mean two of the most hogh tech organizations being put back a few years.
Our Host!