Chances for a Fallout handoff?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

What are the chances of Bethesda selling Fallout to Troika or Obsidian?

Good
2%
Slim
6%
Slim to None
6%
Not Gonna Happen
33%
Duke Nukem Forever will come out first
29%
I like dandelions
24%

Total votes: 49

Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

xbow speaks the truth.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Xbow, you are right...

I'm just trying to say that there are people who I believe are much more competent than Bethesda at the current moment in terms of my trust in them with things Fallout.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

You have a right to be concerned....as do we all King

Post by xbow »

King_of_Creation

You are 100% right from that standpoint, I have played Morrowind briefly and I wasnt impresssed one little bit. I just watched someone playing Arcanum and I felt like playing it, I felt like buying it. I checked out the Troika page and noticed that they also have available TOOLS FOR MODS right up front! The game has a familiar friendly look to it (probably because some of the key hombres that made fallout made Arcanum).

Either company (obsidian or Troika) would in my opinion seem to be able to stomp a mud hole in Bethesda's ass from a real RPG standpoint. But I am no expert on either of those companies.

I am going to buy Morrowind, and Arcanum, and we will see what we shall see. To be fair I am going to have my son and his buddies play both games and tell me what they like and don't like about them and I will play both, but I will be biased on the side of Arcanum already because it seems to be closer to a fallout formula in every concievable way.

The die is cast and one can only hope that Bethesda will wake up and smell the coffee, make something that takes advantage of some of the technological advances since fallout was produced, but also something that captures the look and most importantly the feel of fallout. I
would also hope that they be reasonable with the minimum system requirements and cast an eye to some degree of backward compatability whatever game they make should not require a 2500.00 2006 vintage graphics rendering monster to play it on.
Last edited by xbow on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The game industry is so exciting. Brr.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

King, I think this question is a exercise in impossibility. Bethesda could not outright sub the work out to someone else without Interplay's permission. Interplay obviously picked them beyond others for a reason (money) but usually a contract stipulates the contractors rights and obligations. I don't think Interplay lawyers would allow Bethesda to do anything with the license except make the game by themselves.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

good point Jimmyjay86

Post by xbow »

I am sure you are right its like buying property its not always possible to buy the land including the water and mineral rights. I am sure Herve has his nasty little meat hooks in there somewhere.

Another thing to mention is that Bethesda might want to really kick ass on the game. One thing for sure is that talented people like those that are employed at any of the big game mills tend to really need to believe in what they are making in order to make it live and breath, people like that need to share a vision that is beyond a paycheck at the end of the week. Game programmers are some of the best in the world and there are always greener pastures for the good ones.

These people are not like a pack of brainwashed microsofties cranking out bigger and better bean counting software, these people want to create worlds.

I'll probably get flamed for my commentary but I find it hard to believe that the engineers, artists and programmers that put together sprawling games like the Elder Scrolls are supposed to be didn’t have some passion about their work. I have never liked swords and magik games but I am going to buy their poster child Morrowind just to check out what I think their potential is..hell I can always sell it if it blows.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Having passions doesn't make your game or project or plan great. Bethesda might believe in the FO3 they're gonna make, but it might still suck. and good intentions aren't enough. I'm sure Hitler was a passionnate too.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

s4ur0n27 wrote:There's the PA game Troika is making.
And is it alive? I think I read somewhere that it was put on hold.
Serious Business.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah it is.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

some fair statmens

Post by xbow »

s4ur0n27 said:
Having passions doesn't make your game or project or plan great.
That's a fair statement but like all of us you fear the unknown and you are projecting those fears ( we're all doing that). Its unlikley that many of us are going to be driven to a state of euphoria by a Bethesda made Fallout3.

Bethesda might believe in the FO3 they're gonna make, but it might still suck.
Sure it might suck but it might also be a good game, its too early to tell. I have the same fears you have, my confidential opinion is that it will blow chunks.
I'm sure Hitler was passionnate too.
That analogy is not valid since Hitler was a sociopathic, mentally ill clown with short eyes who's primary motivation was to get even with the world for making him the sawed off punk that he was. The folks at Bethesda on the other hand are just normal folks trying to produce a marketable product in a tough competative arena.

We will just to have to to wait and see whats up when the the first test version is released. Most of us are hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Note: s4ur0n27 do me a favor and post a link to any information you have about Troika's PA game in the making.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Jimmy wrote:Bethesda could not outright sub the work out to someone else without Interplay's permission.
What the fuck? Are you sure about that? I thought they OWN the license.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The license gave Bethesda the ability to make new Fallout games; they didn't buy Fallout. Interplay still owns all rights to the source material.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

xbow, I read on NMA that it was on hold. I'm more confident in Troika's people than Bethesda, at this point.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

The game's "on hold" cause they need a publisher for it.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

thanks s4ur0n27 and King of Creation

Post by xbow »

Even though Troika's PA game is on hold the overall news is good because these are the guys that made fallout 1 and 2. While Troika
may not have the resources that some of the other companies have they do have the 'hutzpa' to make a game that is the next logical step in the Fallout series even if it has another name.

It was the same with Wasteland Brian Fargo couldn't get the game from EA so his crew simply made their own PARPG Fallout that took alot of generalities from Wasteland. No one has a hold on radiation symbols, radioactive mutants, the walking dead, para military organizations, raiders , screamers, big bomb shelters, or the concept of adventuring in an irradiated desert.

I can't see Troika doing a PARPG from anything but an isometric view or a
3D view that closely simulates it. Who knows perhaps in all reality the Fallout torch will pass to Troika after all. I am convinced that the hombres at Troika are infinitely more interested in the post APOC theme than anyone else around. Perhaps those guys will rear back hawk up a big lugie and spit in Herve's nasty little pig eyes after all.

From the folks that made the classic game Fallout a reality, play SOMECOOLNAME
Last edited by xbow on Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperElman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SuperElman »

Maybe Troika will acquire the Wasteland liscense and make Wasteland 2. And then they will rival the O's Fallout 3 and everything will be crazy, and then...uh I'm not sure where I was going with this.

END COMMUNICATION
Who are these people?
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Brian Fargo is re-doing Wasteland at inxile

Post by xbow »

this info is a year old but interest in the post APOC theme is on the upswing.
BRIAN FARGO says, I'm still forming my thoughts on the new Wasteland but you will be happy to know that it will be very much an
old school RPG that uses the skill systems, open ended nature of design, and puts the player into a world that is not black and white but shades of grey. This Wasteland will be darker in nature in the first one... the Rangers are pessimistic about humanity at this
point.

And don't worry, there will be no compromise in the single player experience to accomodate multi-player. The single player experience is what makes for a really rich world.
The Entire Brian Fargo message:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=3f7 ... put=gplain
Aegeri
Regular
Regular

Post by Aegeri »

Personally, I would like to see them pass the license to someone who wants to do it properly and has a good idea on how to go about that. As it is, the current 'developer' doesn't seem to have a God damn clue.
I have returned from my dark slumber....
Cuthbert Allgood
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuthbert Allgood »

Maybe we should combine our marbles and get the liscense and make the game batman...seriously
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

not gona happen. Is it our typical luck that something good happens to the franchise for a change? no. would YOU sell your FO license? don't think so, well maybe you would but not if you were a company that was thinking profit, not about pleasing a fanbase...................................................... :chew:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Our Host!