How much change are we willing to accept from Bethesda?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

Post by Guest »

yeah, doom 3 might be cool like that, but in a Fallout type view? :chainsaw:

Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Theres a mod for UT 2004 similar to what you're talking about (Except obviousily not Doom 3 or with a flashlight) where the view is top down and such. So I don't see any reason why you could have something like doom from that view point. It worked well with Crusader: No Remorse which is still one of my favorite PC games around.
Harriers for the cup.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Doom can only work in first person because it uses denial of architectural information and your immediate surroundings to build up fear. It wouldn't play correctly if you could see more than just what was in front of you.

Just like Fallout wouldn't play correctly without some kind of overhead view.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Retlaw83 wrote: It wouldn't play correctly if you could see more than just what was in front of you.
Thats why you'd just limit vision with the flashlight.
Harriers for the cup.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, it's intended to make a spookier enviroment for the player.

Cool location too Wolfman, you from there(I mean Kentucky)?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I was born in Ft. Knox, Kentucky, but I've moved all over the world due to my dad being in the military.
Harriers for the cup.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Back when I first played FO, I remember thinking how cool it would be to play the game, except from a first person perspective... so it would be like moving around the Post Apoc world from my character's perspective. I've wisened up now.

Post by Guest »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I was born in Ft. Knox, Kentucky, but I've moved all over the world due to my dad being in the military
Holy shit, I was born there too. :omfg:
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Janus Matchell »

I really hope they let you rcreate your own character like the previous fallouts did. FOPOS didn't and it was a sheer suck fest. Another thing I would like to see done with Fo3 is keeping it true to the others by bringing some of the other programmers who originally worked on it together so they can at least point it in the right direction.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

I've got a gut feeling that Bethesda will change FO3 form Fo1/2/T too much. There is even a chance they might make it 1st person like Morrowind.

:shudders:

That would be like making Doom 3 isometric.

:shudders again:

Doom 3 in 3-rd person would be like Resident Evil with a flashlight I imagine?

It just simply wouldn't be the same game. Given -any- of the examples. That's what game developers need to learn. Fallout is an important franchise that deserves a bit of respect, instead of being relegated to a series of shovelware novelties that will make a company a few bucks.

An example of a first-person game with RPG elements is Deus Ex. Which I hated. If you've played that you'll notice that the RPG stats mostly get in the way. By getting in the way. I mean: "Shooting at a guy whilst standing four feet in front of him and missing even though you've got the gun trained right on him but the bullet conveniently evaporates from existence because your small arms skill isn't high enough"-type getting in the way.

Which is just stupid.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Of course there's also System Shock 2, which was a first person game with RPG elements done well.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Good point!

I had totally forgot.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I kindda liked systemshock2 and Deus EX.
But I'd never ever call them succesfull RPG:S. Or RPG's at all...
Rather character focused FPS's.
After plaing tham elderscrolls games, I must say that the first person view kinda ruins the feel.
And it just turn into some diablostyle gameplay.
It was like that in morrowind anyway.

I just hope bethesda will manage to get the fallout feel, use the right level && amount of tech. A great story with manymany sidequests.
And keep the unlinearity of FO1&&2.
And ofcourse the SPECIAl system and turnbased combat.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I don't think I'd care much if FO3 was an FPS, as long as the graphics have a PA feeling, the game has a good atmosphere, good main quest, a lot of sidequests, and especially the unlinearity.

I wouldn't mind much RT combat, if they could manage to keep a touch of strategy to it. Slower moving characters, good AI, and the SPECIAL system. A combat system like DX or SS.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

I think that with any FPS game it's hard to make it totally RPG without seriously reducing player interaction it seems. (might and magic)

System shock 2 had a lot of roleplay elements but the simple matter of being able to run about and shoot things just seems to overshadow a fair amount of that.

Deus Ex I think they tried a bit too hard and the system was a bit too cumbersome and frustrating as mentioned above.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I wouldn't like it to go completely 3d for one.
If they could make it look like FO,2 with the graphics(or better), of FoT that would be great.

Of course the real issue would be gameplay and how they do things in game. Partly, at least in my mind, the reason FO2 wasn't up to FO, is that you see much more people(and technology) in almost every place and you lose that isolated, scarcely populated place, barely trying to survive feeling JJ86 was talking about.

Flame
Our Host!