Let's have playable races in FO3

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Let's have playable races in FO3

Post by Franz Schubert »

First. You guys are slow!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

This is out of question, playable races will dilute the story.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Yeah, so I think playable races will be in Fallout 3, sauron.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Not slow, I had mine deleted a few hours ago. I probably should have done something sensible like yourself and posted something relevant, rather than OMG FIRST POST LEWL.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I bet dollars to donuts they revive those superintelligent raccoons from that Burrows location and make them playable, just to get a bit of elfishness in.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

And make them psychic. Kids just love psychic racoons.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Well, it entirely depends on how they carry on the plot of fallout. If they were to continue the Vault Dwellers line it of course wouldn’t make sense, but if it were an unrelated person simply coexisting (I assume) in California I see no reason not to allow races. However, a note from lionheart would have to be taken when implementing ghouls and supermutants if such a thing happened- the extreme dislike for their kind should be known. Sounds a lot more disruptive than necessary for a game. One thing that’s kind of like races I would like to see is body customization. I felt like some shrimp creature in the boxing ring at Reno.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Personaly, I hope they take a not from FO3 and have their FO3.1 have the game take place mostly in a new region.

Prehaps have NCR be in the lower/upper left corner of the map and extend far to the east ?
Macaco
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Macaco »

Well, looking at bethesda's history with different playable races, the biggest difference would be that talking deathcalws can't wear boots.

But i do think it would take a fair bit of work to get the story and , specially, the talk trees, to feel right with the different races, since it would take a fair bit of work to make most people react differently depending on your race.
PsychoSniper wrote:Personaly, I hope they take a not from FO3 and have their FO3.1 have the game take place mostly in a new region.

Prehaps have NCR be in the lower/upper left corner of the map and extend far to the east ?
I'm not that big on USA Geography, but isn't that region a freaking empty desert?
The tought of Fallout 3 with Silent storm's engine gives me a hard-on
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Not entirely.

There are multiple city's thruout the desert in the US.

And dont froget, a new city could have sprung up.

I still like the planned location for FO3 that J.E. Sawyer talked botu over on NMA though.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Fallout is set in an alterative world so it doesn’t have to take after our USA geography, and let’s not forget that the whole world has just undergone a nuclear war so cities are pretty rare.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Macaco wrote:Well, looking at bethesda's history with different playable races, the biggest difference would be that talking deathcalws can't wear boots.
There's a lot of reasons why playable races is a completely ass idea. It's one of those things that you hear the idiot masses clamoring for, like having Supermutant and Deathclaw NPCs in Fallout 2. The big problem, as pointed out above, is that people don't like mutants in Fallout. Meanwhile, the majority of people you have to get information from and quests from are people. You might have a few who don't mind or tolerate mutants, but the general theme of the game is that mutants suck. You'd probably have to irradicate that theme just to do playable races, or diminish it to the point where it's little more than a novelty - I hate mutants but can you please get my cat out of the tree? Hey, I guess mutants aren't so bad! You've changed my life, player character mutant!

The other route is to streamline the amount of talking for the game. In otherwords, Fallout 3 - The Combat Fest. People don't like talking to mutants, so 2/3rds of the player races won't require much talking, therefore, combat is the only thing left for those people who play the mutants. Given that, you really don't have to focus on the non-combat world as much.

Another huge problem would be the balance. A supermutant is basically on par with someone wearing power armor. They're stronger, more durable, don't get effected by radiation and disease, and so forth. A level 1 mutant would start out with such overwhelming stats, you'd be well beyond a level 1 human or level 1 ghoul. The only downside is that you're dumber than humans and ghouls typically, but who cares? No one likes to talk to you anyway. Being a dumb Supermutant isn't much of a drawback when you consider that socializing with the NPC masses is nearly out of the question anyway.

Being a ghoul would just plain suck all around. Sure, you're as smart as humans are, but you're weak and disgusting. Not many people like being around you, won't talk to you, and so on. You really have no recourse, not even combat.

That said, I'm not sure Bethesda will be smart enough to avoid making playable races. I'd say they're the kind of developers that'll toss anything in if there's enough people requesting it, regardless of how bad an idea it is. BIS was doing the same thing until they figured out that their artists were getting pulled to work on Fallout Enforcer. Let's just hope Bethesda is smarter than the crippled BIS was in terms of filtering the WOOLD'NT IT B KEWL IF crap on the forums from their design.
------------------
Lartrid
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Lartrid »

Playable races would be a bad idea IMO, because:
The choice of multiple races is only good when you can make a party of PCs not only one single character. BUT then FO3 should be made this way and that would ruin the original Fallout-like gameplay, besides it could become a tactical game Like FOT (though that's surely not the style of Bethesda). And another point: where did you meet parties of multiple races in Fallout? (beside yours of course)

Yeah, raiders,rangers,merchants,gangs: all humans...or tribals, or a bunch of ghouls, or some muties...though they had some Centaurs and Floaters as sidekicks...Beastlords with Deathclaws but that was logical(and it's not FO, but Tactics)...farmers with cows :)...

I still hope there will be NO choice of races at all, only the NPCs would differ.
"Always keep your Vault shiny and clear
because it can even blind the enemy when they attack. Maybe you can let the Vault door rust; it will be more difficult to get in then."
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

I still like the planned location for FO3 that J.E. Sawyer talked botu over on NMA though.
Thats one of the things that made me hate it.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Another thing that's ass-stupid about playable races is that ghouls were made by the radiation of the Great War. Supermutants were all made 80 years later. Fallout 2 takes place 60-80 years after that. If Fallout 3 takes place several decades after Fallout 2, we're talking about things that have been around for 100-200 years..

AND YET THEY HAVE NO EXPERIENCE GAINED IN THAT TIME?

A 200 year old Level 1 Ghoul would be as pathetically stupid as it gets.

I made this point back when J.E. Sawyer and Puuk were talking about how great playable races would be for Fallout. :D
------------------
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

I made this point back when J.E. Sawyer and Puuk were talking about how great playable races would be for Fallout.

Actually Puuk hated the idea, that`s how we started to get along and got pretty friendly, talking about that when it was thankfully scraped.
Last edited by Briosafreak on Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The title of this thread was a joke, in fact I didn't think it would start this discussion again. I'll say that in an Ideal game, it would have multiple PC races with very different yet equally comprehensive storylines. But that takes more work to make than a combat-fest D:
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

I think the only time multiple races should or have been considered in FO was in the original. I would have loved to continue the story as a supermutant after being dipped by Lou. I think enough time had elapsed in gameplay in order to implement the changes.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

s4ur0n27 wrote:This is out of question, playable races will dilute the story.
KEEP FALLOUT BLOOD PURE! WHITE, BLOND, BLUE EYES. THE ARYANS WILL ENDURE.

As for me, multiple races would suck. Seriously. Reasons already described. Even if they do the different paths options... it'll still suck. Human has a normal RPG game, super mutants get the action-shooter, and ghouls get the... hide-from-the-racist-human-with-a-big-gun game?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

(Supermutants = orc warriors) + (Ghouls = elven rangers) makes for a bad equation.
Our Host!