Target Practice

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
LucifersKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Target Practice

Post by LucifersKnight »

Ok I've made my own map and added it to the existing campaign. I also have various npc's that barter differnt kinds of supplies. I was wondering if it would be possible to have an npc that charged for training. I don't want the player to magically gain the exp. though. So far the only idea I've been able to come up with is a trigger that spawns a bunch of baddies which would be acceptable if they would spawn more than once. After I kill them all they are gone for good which is not my goal. I was wondering if there was a way to do this aside from ultimatly teleporting my sqaud directly into a random encounter everytime I want to "train?"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

You can have a lot of target dummies out of the boundaries that will spawn many, many times. Ultimately you will run out but there is not really a limit on how many you can have out there. I like your idea of teleporting into a random encounter.
LucifersKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by LucifersKnight »

I have no idea how to make it teleport me to a random encounter. I'd like two options, either a simple raider or a more challenging supermutant encoutner but I don't know how.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I guess I'll have to look into it and experiment a little to see what is possible. There may be a few nuances that need to be worked through to make it work correctly. I'll try to post an answer in a few days.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Idea

Post by PaladinHeart »

Here is a different idea.

You can have your targets resting on an unseen area. You'll need a trigger and damage tile for each target. The damage tile will have to be made in the entity editor to do 1 negative damage. Basically, your trigger will activate the damage tile whenever your target has less than 100% life. You may need a trigger to deactivate it when their life reaches 100%.

Another trigger will move your target back to the damage tile once its life is 5% or so. Make sure you have targets that replace the weaker ones as the player gets stronger weapons. It is possible they could kill the target, anyway, with a lucky critical hit.

Although I have to say, I like the transporting to a random encounter much better. This could let the player pay to encounter special random monsters similar to the style done in some of the Final Fantasy games (well actually FFX is the only one that comes to mind at the moment).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
LucifersKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by LucifersKnight »

Thats a really good idea also. I've been messing around a bit but now I think it may be possible to teleport to a random encounter. I think the key is in the mapkey tagname. My terminology may be off but that's my best guess as to how to do it. I do not however believe it is possible to make my own encounter group in the campaign.txt and rule out the possibilty of a world map random encoutner.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I haven't been successful using the "GOTO Mission" trigegr and the map tagname. Hopefully the trigger isn't broken - they didn't make any mention of it in the Editor Readme. Maybe it is a very specific syntax that must be used or the key could be in creating a custom campaigns.txt file.

I'll try and play with it some more...
LucifersKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by LucifersKnight »

I havent had any luck either.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

No that trigger works, but you've got to put the mission name in correctly, check out the elevator triggers in vault 0, I think that uses the goto mission trigger to send you to the final mission.

LucifersKnight, the easiest way to make a training map that respawns everytime you visit is to have it as a random encounter, set it up as the other random encounters and add the training area to the landscape and mission lists in the campaign text. Then in the campaign editor place all three on the same square (making sure that they don't overlap with other random encounters or landscapes) so that the chance of occuring is 100%. When you add the map to the mission list make it's state uncovered so that it shows up on the campaign map. Then when you party heads for the training area they should get transported to the random encounter instead.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
LucifersKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by LucifersKnight »

Thanks a lot. That is an excellent idea.
Our Host!