RPG goodness

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

RPG goodness

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

I have recently decided that RPGs are my favourite genre... for a while I thought it was first-persons, but now they're second in my heart. Anyone know of any good RPGs? I've only played these:

Deus Ex
The Fallout series
The Diablo series
The Baldur's gate series
Knights Of The Old Republic

Can someone tell me some really good RPGs I should hunt down and play to completion?
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: RPG goodness

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote:I have recently decided that RPGs are my favourite genre... for a while I thought it was first-persons, but now they're second in my heart. Anyone know of any good RPGs? I've only played these:

Deus Ex
The Fallout series
The Diablo series
The Baldur's gate series

Can someone tell me some really good RPGs I should hunt down and play to completion?
harbinger, arcanum, lionheart (fuck you all).
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Was Lionheart good? I never read a review I trusted about it, but from the demo was lame. The setting was awesome from what I read, I loved all the historical tie ins. Just how much role playing does one do?

Diablo and KOTOR are hardly RPGs, at least by my standards. I second Arcanum, and suggest you check out Quest for Glory 1-4
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Lionheart sucked. I forget why. Something about terrible combat with the biggest god damn interface ever created.

With each crappy RPG released I'm pushed further and further into the FPS genre.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Find Gothic and Gothic II....Part 1 was just awesome...Part 2 starts where 1 left off, but it's a bit tougher to get into...I still enjoy them both immensely.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I, ahem, "purchased" Lionheart some time ago but there's this wacky error I get every single time I try to install it. I've tried everything on IP's support site and even e-mailed the tech support guys, but with no results. Something about data.dat being corrupted or unpacking incorrectly. Funny thing is that changing to a completely different set of discs doesn't change the situation.

That was enough to kill all my interest in Lionheart: LOTC.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The old Shadowrun game is an amazingly cool CRPG. You can find emulations of it at most decent old games sites.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

i never had any problems with lionheart. i liked the story and the combat.

i can honestly say NEVER play morrowind because its a boring piece of shit.

gothic was garbage because my hacked version wouldnt let me pick up or use any items?
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

That's what you get for not paying for it.....Anyway...The downloaded version of Gothic II I got work great. :P

As for Gothic I...I paid for it...It's worth it. I can't find Gothic II at any of my local retailers, never could, probably never will.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

ExtremeDrinker wrote:That's what you get for not paying for it.....Anyway...The downloaded version of Gothic II I got work great. :P

As for Gothic I...I paid for it...It's worth it. I can't find Gothic II at any of my local retailers, never could, probably never will.
thats funny. none of my local retailers stock Sacred yet and i just found a copy of harbinger they supposedly just got in at best buy.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Yall forgot about Planescape: Torment :anger:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: RPG goodness

Post by jetbaby »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote:I have recently decided that RPGs are my favourite genre... for a while I thought it was first-persons, but now they're second in my heart. Anyone know of any good RPGs? I've only played these:

Deus Ex
The Fallout series
The Diablo series
The Baldur's gate series

I don't really consider Diablo, much less Diablo 2 to be RPG's,t hey're just hack and slashers. Console gaming: for classics try Zelda, Final Fantasy series, definately PlanetScape: Torment (I'm gonna reinstall that and play again until I can feeking make FarCry work), I dunno. I enjoyed Xenogears and Xenosaga.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Curiously, i also don't consider Zelda an RPG, even by console standards. Unless we're talking of Zelda 2 for the NES.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

By console standards, anything with magic is an RPG.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Role-Player wrote:Curiously, i also don't consider Zelda an RPG, even by console standards. Unless we're talking of Zelda 2 for the NES.
Oh god yes!
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

You've played most of the well known RPGs, theres a couple of indie games that have alot of roleplaying options if you don't mind crappy graphics. Geneforge is one that I played and it was pretty good, if you liked that Geneforge2 is said to be more of the same. Also some codex members liked Prelude to Darkness. All the games are $25 and can be found:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge/
and
http://www.zero-sum.com/

Check out the demos to see if you like them first.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

Which Shadowrun? SNES or Genesis? I'm more partial to the SNES version.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Get Neverwinter Nights; it's a good ADnD one. Also, I heard that one of the expansions allows you to go into first-person mode, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not. You just need a half-decent graphics card.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Do NOT get Neverwinter Nights. Good DnD games involve actually playing DnD.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Neon Dingo wrote:SNES or Genesis? I'm more partial to the SNES version.
I prefer the Genesis version myself, but there's not much of a difference. There's also supposedly a computer version out there, but I haven't been able to download it.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Our Host!