Mod Distribution

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Mod Distribution

Post by SpellTrap »

I'm new at this. What's the best way to distribute a mod containing files for the maps, data, text, and scripts subdirectories? The easier it is to install, the better.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Make a SFX Archive in WinRAR.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

In a DAT file, for use with FaME.
Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Oh, yeah....I went brain-dead for a while. DAT file is the way to go.

I was thinking of file distribution in general...Like as in archival.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Well if you're distributing a full version definitely go with DAT, unless you've patched the exe (which you likely will), in which case RynoDrinker is on the money. I don't have experience with SFX, but Winrar is your friend and if WinRar makes it, it's gotta be good.
Error! I suck balls.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

What's the best tool to use to make DATs?
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

I don't know any.

I imagine if you can undat something, you cna redat it. Check whatever you undatted with...

I'm not too experienced with finished product... I'm more of a slave labor kinda guy...
Error! I suck balls.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

SpellTrap wrote:What's the best tool to use to make DATs?
Dat Explorer is the best one to use; not sure if the link below is active but you can find it in the downloads section of NMA and Duck and Cover (I think).

www.hot.ee/fallout/

By the way, if you are repacking Patch000.dat, you have to add each file and folder individually in alpha-numeric order (ie, make sure all the files in aa folder have been loaded before you load files into ab) as they have to be packed in the right offset; if you attempt to load multiple files, they will be packed incorrectly and the dat will not work.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Corpse wrote:
SpellTrap wrote:What's the best tool to use to make DATs?
Dat Explorer is the best one to use; not sure if the link below is active but you can find it in the downloads section of NMA and Duck and Cover (I think).

www.hot.ee/fallout/

By the way, if you are repacking Patch000.dat, you have to add each file and folder individually in alpha-numeric order (ie, make sure all the files in aa folder have been loaded before you load files into ab) as they have to be packed in the right offset; if you attempt to load multiple files, they will be packed incorrectly and the dat will not work.
What if I just extract PATCH000.DAT, cut 'n paste my modified files over the extracted ones, and then just make a new PATCH000.DAT from scratch?
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

That is exactly what you would have to do, bearing in mind to keep the alpha-numeric order. Sorry I wasn't too clear on this point in my previous message, you cannot repack Patch000.dat because the new files would be placed in an incorrect offset rendering those files unusable; you have extract all the contents, replace any files you have changed then pack it file by file from scratch.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Corpse wrote:then pack it file by file
what.
Error! I suck balls.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

SDMVersion3 wrote:
Corpse wrote:then pack it file by file
what.
If you don't pack each file individually in alpha-numerical order (including folders), the files will be placed in the wrong offsets and the dat won't work. This only applies to patch000.dat and possibly master and critter.dat, if you create any other dat to load with FAME or Modrunner you don't have to worry about keeping any order.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Ah, okay.

That's incredibly relieving and makes sense.
Error! I suck balls.
Our Host!