Just curious

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Just curious

Post by Mismatch »

I've been thinking about scripting a lil', I know c/c++, Java, Intel x86 processor family and motorola assemble. Will learning fallout scripting be a prob or not?

I been looking through some scripts, and I know there are descriptions of all functions in the documentation.
What I wnt to know though is what all them other thingies are, are there any documentation (aside from comments is the script itself) about all them other thing? And where do I find define.h.
What is needed in a map script?

I suppose this is a lot of questions, and I understand if you don't wanna answer them. I'm just curious as to how much work I'd have to put down in learning fallout scripting, coz if there are 50ish hours before even being able to script my 1st townsperson then I can't be arsed.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Re: Just curious

Post by SpellTrap »

Mismatch wrote:I've been thinking about scripting a lil', I know c/c++, Java, Intel x86 processor family and motorola assemble. Will learning fallout scripting be a prob or not?
Your c/c++ experience should be able to help you, but you really don't need much experience to script. Having experience with any kind of programming language helps, but since the scripts are all in c/c++ format, experience with that language would be particularly helpful.
Mismatch wrote:What I wnt to know though is what all them other thingies are, are there any documentation (aside from comments is the script itself) about all them other thing?
I don't really know what you're talking about here, but in general, the best way to learn about the undocumented "thingies" is to just look through some scripts. Start yourself off small, though, meaning don't read through the script of anyone that has a lot of different quests and whatnot tied into their existence. Choose the script of someone who's relatively small in Fallout 1/2's story line, like Curtis in Vault City, or the smelly ghoul in Broken Hills.
Mismatch wrote:And where do I find define.h.
Download the Fallout 2 Mapper, install it, then go into its directory. You should see a folder named "scripts". Go into it. From there, go into "HEADERS", and that's where you'll find define.h.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
Our Host!