2 FO2 Editting Questions

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

2 FO2 Editting Questions

Post by SpellTrap »

1. How would I go about implementing a modified header into Fallout 2? (i.e. I added some of the data in a header, some modified scripts now refer to that new data. How do I get it to properly work in the game?)

2. What file defines what names appear on the world map beneath the green circles?
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Re: 2 FO2 Editting Questions

Post by Temaperacl »

SpellTrap wrote:1. How would I go about implementing a modified header into Fallout 2? (i.e. I added some of the data in a header, some modified scripts now refer to that new data. How do I get it to properly work in the game?)
You'll have to recompile all the scripts that are modified by that header. After you've done that, ,If the scripts are just changes to existing scripts (Still named the same), just stick it in the same place as the existing ones (or make your own patch DAT with them in the same spot as the existing ones.).
2. What file defines what names appear on the world map beneath the green circles?
text/*/game/MAP.MSG
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

nope, not map.msg... that's the pip boy mini-map tags..
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

The reason I'm asking about the map names is because I noticed that in the exploding brahmin random encounter, when you get back to the world map, it still says "unknown" underneath it's circle. I wanted to try to fix that, if I could.
Temaperacl wrote:You'll have to recompile all the scripts that are modified by that header. After you've done that, ,If the scripts are just changes to existing scripts (Still named the same), just stick it in the same place as the existing ones (or make your own patch DAT with them in the same spot as the existing ones.).
So let's say I added a new GVAR to global.h. Would I have to recompile every single script, or just the scripts that referenced the new GVAR?
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

ColJack wrote:nope, not map.msg... that's the pip boy mini-map tags..
Entries 1500+ are for the world map text.
SpellTrap wrote:The reason I'm asking about the map names is because I noticed that in the exploding brahmin random encounter, when you get back to the world map, it still says "unknown" underneath it's circle. I wanted to try to fix that, if I could.
I don't know the source of this problem, but it looks like the entry in MAP.MSG is correct, so I would guess that there is something that misidentifies it in one of the other files - maybe data/city.txt, but that's just a guess..
So let's say I added a new GVAR to global.h. Would I have to recompile every single script, or just the scripts that referenced the new GVAR?
Sorry, my earlier statement was too broad - I believe you should only have to recompile the scripts that reference the new GVAR.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Temaperacl wrote:
Any idea what calls these text strings? I did a search for some of the numbers of the strings (since 1500+ is higher than the normal MSG range), but couldn't find anything but other MSG files that had nothing to do with it.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

SpellTrap wrote:
Temaperacl wrote:
Any idea what calls these text strings? I did a search for some of the numbers of the strings (since 1500+ is higher than the normal MSG range), but couldn't find anything but other MSG files that had nothing to do with it.
My guess is that for area X (as defined in city.txt - for example, 14 for San Fran), the game just uses 1500+X for the name, with that equation hard coded somewhere in the engine, but I haven't spent much time examining this, so I may be wrong.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Temaperacl wrote:My guess is that for area X (as defined in city.txt - for example, 14 for San Fran), the game just uses 1500+X for the name, with that equation hard coded somewhere in the engine, but I haven't spent much time examining this, so I may be wrong.
I'm sure it does, but for some reason the mad brahmin encounter stays as "unknown" for me. What makes a map go from "unknown" to it's actual name?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

SpellTrap wrote: I'm sure it does, but for some reason the mad brahmin encounter stays as "unknown" for me. What makes a map go from "unknown" to it's actual name?
I'm not sure why it behaves that way. Do other random encounters? And you will notice that if you go back there and then leave again, the name will appear. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can think of two ways to 'fix' it - (1) Make it so that it doesn't appear as a dot on the map (lock_state=On in /Data/City.txt). Or (2), IIRC, there is a command (which I don't recall off the top of my head), which allows you to force a location to be known. If you just include a bit of code in the map script (rndexcow) that forces the location to be known, that might make it work. I'll see if I can't take a look around in the next couple days and see if I can figure out something a little more useful, but no guarantees.
Our Host!