I'll go first!

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
aegisuv
SDF!
SDF!

I'll go first!

Post by aegisuv »

Welcome all to the Wasteland section! I would like to offer my assistance with all things Wasteland, as I believe I have solved it at least 100 times, and have yet to tire of being a Desert Ranger! :o) Viva Las Vegas!

AegisUV
Unwashed since 1997
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

I'm also here to help anyone who needs it, and I'll likely drop in on any conversations that start about Wasteland - I have no idea how many times I've played it, and I still load it up not uncommonly.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

wher can i get wasteland?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Well, if you can find it, Wasteland is included in The Ultimate RPG Archive and Interplay's 10 Year Anthology. I don't know of any very recent releases, however.

If you can't find a copy anywhere else, some abandonware sites will have it (I'm sure HOTU has it).
Gehenna
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Hmmm.

Post by Gehenna »

Now, wasteland would be a worthy candidate for a mod. I'd love to bring it up to current times in a decent looking non-ega engine.

Hmmm... You'd have to make some sort of front end for creating the party tho.

And you'd have to implement the radio call-in level up system...

I dunno. Wasteland was just so damn flexible that I don't think a single engine exists that could handle it.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I have it but can't remember ever playing it.Did it have character graphics or was it like Bard's tale trilogy?
Gehenna
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Wasteland

Post by Gehenna »

It was strictly overhead POV. The interface was fidgety, but you've got to remember that this was back in the day when you couldn't just pick up a PC game and dive right in. You would spend a couple of hours playing before you figured out what the commands were good for.

I miss that in a lot of ways. It kept the 12 year-olds from playing. Casual gamers stuck to consoles, and becoming good at the game felt like an accomplishment.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

faran brygo bryan fargo

Post by BloodGod »

this game was the reason why i started playing fallout 1 in the first place.

one of the special features i will always remember of this classic was the ability for the party to 'disband' in-game. imagine if your FOT squad could disband to several overhead map locations, and have its views cycle-able!

my original WL game manual is STILL sitting on my desktop and in *relatively* good condition. you used to be able to download a copy of the game at theunderdogs.org, but i'm sure there are plenty of sites where this legendary classic is still floating around ...

interview with alan pavlish:-
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamwo ... l/alan.htm

remember what you did on re-start campaigns? 1. arm your .45c pistol or some other missile wp, empty its load to use it in h2h, proceed to G's Citadel and wipe everything out at the start with brawling haha. . .

"keep your powder dry"
TONIGHT THE AGE OF MAN COMES TO AN END
godspeed@c4.org
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Re: faran brygo bryan fargo

Post by Flamescreen »

BloodGod wrote:
[Y]ou used to be able to download a copy of the game at theunderdogs.org, but i'm sure there are plenty of sites where this legendary classic is still floating around ...
Probably not available now. Last time i checked( A good 5 months) they were dropping all sorts of games in fear of lawsuits.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

...nnooooooooo.........aargh...

(strange, i thought i went there just a while back, to extract something on Dark Heart of Uukrul...i'm sure less than 5 months)

know of any other equivalent free sites with old downloads?
godspeed@c4.org
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

in reply to Temaperacl:-

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2425

great. that explains it . . .
godspeed@c4.org
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It can still be found on some sites, but officially it is not abandonware. Figure that out!

I am working on a reworking of the Quartz mission for Tactics. I was very close to finishing but a nasty HD eating virus may push the schedule back. I'll keep you posted as I sift through the ashes of my system to find out what is backed up.
Elara-OutandAbout

Post by Elara-OutandAbout »

Like we give a damn what EA thinks...the bastids should have let someone make a real goddamned sequel anyway.

There's some more places you can grab it. If anyone wants to play and can't find it in stores or online, email me at elaragirl@hotmail.com, lara@steelpal.zzn.com, or drop by the Project at http://ruined-earth.net/project
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

hey jimmy -Quartz? was that where you enlisted mayor pedros & felicia ... or was that needles?
godspeed@c4.org
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I agree that EA is stupid for yanking it from the abandonware sites. Wasteland is long dead, it would be cool if someone would come out with an updated version but it's doubtful. I managed to find it at a Goodwill store with 5 1/4" floppies for $1. I still have an old floppy drive so that I could copy it from the disk onto the hard drive.
aegisuv
SDF!
SDF!

Where is the Mayor...

Post by aegisuv »

The mayor was in Quartz, if I am not mistaken. He was held in the jail cell on the second floor by the three guys with dogtags... Felicia was busy strapped to a bomb, and Ace was down in the basement. He was key if you wanted to repair the jeep and drive around... Sheesh, and BIS had such a hard time coding a car into the game... EA did it 10 years earlier! Hehehe!
AegisUV
Unwashed since 1997
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

The mayor was in Quartz, if I am not mistaken. He was held in the jail cell on the second floor by the three guys with dogtags... Felicia was busy strapped to a bomb, and Ace was down in the basement. He was key if you wanted to repair the jeep and drive around... Sheesh, and BIS had such a hard time coding a car into the game... EA did it 10 years earlier! Hehehe!
Yep, I have all of the them in the mission. I still haven't quite figured out how to trigger Felicia yet. You can't really have an internal bomb on a person in Tactics so I have to play around with it to have it faithful to the original game. The plot is changed a little bit from the original. The Mayor does not get held by Ugly until a certain event happens. Then Ugly's raiders will invade the courthouse and take him hostage. Ace still has to be resued from Jail before he can fix the jeep, but I don't want to give away too much. It will be fun to play and have as much speech options as Wasteland.
BloodGod
Regular
Regular

Post by BloodGod »

basically used felicia, perdros et all to fill up the npc slots as and when they come. the only npc i kept around abit was dr.mike scot-cause i didn't bother to raise medic/doctor myself . . .
godspeed@c4.org
aegisuv
SDF!
SDF!

Post by aegisuv »

How about the BOS soldier at the mutant base that has been booby trapped? Can you see in the code how they did that? It didn't start the timer until you talked to him...
AegisUV
Unwashed since 1997
Our Host!