Wood tile requestion

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Wood tile requestion

Post by Max-Violence »

OK so I'm looking for a tile, preferably wooden, that could serve as a skinny "bridge" (8wu long by 4wu wide by 1wu tall) between/among broken floor tiles. I want this tile to connect two sides of a ruined area of a floor.

For a more detailed description of what I'm talking about, take a look at this screenie from Dustville. I want actors to be able to go from one side of the hole in the upper floor to the other.

Basically, I want a tile (or two) to "connect" the two sides, either over the widest part of the hole or the narrower parts, or both. I know I could use cap tiles to do this, but I want a tile that looks like a plank of wood was placed there with the express purpose of connecting the two sides of the hole.

If someone could make me these tiles (short, medium, and long versions. Say, 8wu, 12wu, and 16wu lengths), such person would have my many, many thanks. I would need the planks of wood facing both directions (i.e. north to east and south to west).

Of course, if there are some tiles out there already somewhere that I know not of, if someone could point out the location of those tiles, such person would have my thanks as well.

Or both.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

There are some tiles for planks that you might be able to use in the Ruined Cities set I think?
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Yes, I used those last week for something. I'm also using the palettes tiles for that map. Though palettes would prob be useless for that. Also metalic tiles could be used.

Flamescreen
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:There are some tiles for planks that you might be able to use in the Ruined Cities set I think?
I think not. The only wood tiles I can find in the RC set are the good-ol' 6x6 floor tiles.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Try caps.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Grr, I know caps would work. I'm looking for something NEW to use instead of the same ol' stuff.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Max-Violence wrote:
Jimmyjay86 wrote:There are some tiles for planks that you might be able to use in the Ruined Cities set I think?
I think not. The only wood tiles I can find in the RC set are the good-ol' 6x6 floor tiles.
No, I'm not talking about square floor tiles. There are lengths of 2x4 planks. I seem to recall there just being bundles of them and also a few individual boards.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

I checked ruined cities and didn't really find any planks, but I DID find some cool stuff you could probably substitute (with a bit of ingenuity). Look in ruined city/objects, now check sports equipment and musical instruments. There are some keyboards that look like floorboards and some monkey bars that would make a nice bridge too. Just put some invisible steps leading up to theme and it'll look good.

They don't look like keyboards anyway.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Maybe they are in industrial - I can't check right now but will search later.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, I found them. Look under Industrial/Industrial Objects/Sawmill stuff and you should find individual wood planks and beams that can be used for making some cool looking catwalks between buildings.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

If they're the ones i was using, they might be a bit big for that gap. Still worth a try.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Yeah, I found them. Look under Industrial/Industrial Objects/Sawmill stuff and you should find individual wood planks and beams that can be used for making some cool looking catwalks between buildings.
Sweet, thanks JJ86.

UNfortunately, they are a wee bit too tall. I'd have to use two stair tiles on either side in order for actors to be able to walk across the log, and stair tiles facing away from the camera are baaaad.

Although, it's only two measy stairs...

Hmmmmmm, suppose I could alter the bounding box one or two WUs shorter... hmmmmm...

Or I could, if I had the know-how and software, make a new tile from the top third of the log, thereby making it 1 WU tall like I want it to (so I needn't use stairs).

Hmmmmm...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

There's a simple solution. Invisible steps work just as good as visible ones. I've used this in some instances where I wanted to put a secret location.

There is also the possibility of first building the walkway with invisible steps, and then placing ethereal tiles on top of those for the look you're going for. The bright tiles will look messy in the editor but it will look good in-game.

Invisible ladders are also cool on the sides of buildings, mountains, etc..
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

JJ86 sighs.....

Keep looking in that tile set Max, there are some that are 1 unit high. Check under the Processedwood folder in the Sawmill tiles. Look at the very bottom? Perfect? Your welcome!
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:JJ86 sighs.....
MV kicks JJ86 in his shins. Hard.
JJ86 wrote:Keep looking in that tile set Max, there are some that are 1 unit high. Check under the Processedwood folder in the Sawmill tiles. Look at the very bottom? Perfect? Your welcome!
But they look blue! How many blue trees have YOU seen lately?

Although, when placed in the map, they do look quite dandy...

JJ86 - 1

MV - 0
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »