Snow in Fallout? What the hell?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Yeah. Fallout LIVES through it's snappy dialogues and the subtile way in which you manipulate the entire "world" just through talking to NPCs.

I really missed that in RANDOM POST APOC TACTICS: BROTHERHOOD OF INSECT-LIKE POWER ARMOR DUDES.
(I still refuse to call it FALLOUT or BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL)

It was a crappy Fallout.

But a not that bad post apoc tactics game. (if you pevented using the real time mode)

But still... it was so cold... just TARGETS... or HOSTAGES... all life militarized. That was what also destroyed the harsh way Fallout was "full" of life.

Tactics game. Not RPG. That's the key. (that sort of rhymes)

---

What I realize again is, that many people start liking Fallout Tactics, because the dread of Fallout 3's possible vile quality.
Wex
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Wex »

IIRC, the description of Gauss Minigun says that it was made by Chinese to counter the power armor technology. You say it's an overkill, but it does rip through it like few other weapons.

So, eh, it is not a brotherhood prototype.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Guess that goes to show that no one here really likes FOT...besides Danny boy.
Better believe it, man.
PsyckoSama wrote:I think its okay if you take it with a grain of salt... and like Manoil said, most of it can be explained away with some creativity.

The "Deathclaws" are mutants that only share a slight simularity that caused the BoS to dub them "Deathclaws" in error after the Wasteland legand from back home.

His idea about vault 0 makes sense.

The powerarmor is a cheap Knockoff of the real deal...

And the gauss miniguns is simply one of a number of odd prototypes that was only adopted in limited use.

Though really, what pisses me off about it is the lack of a diologue tree. If it had the option I bet it could have survived if simply as a engine for fan made fallout role playing games...
Yeah, you got it man... but I dunno. The Original Power Armor design was pretty tight but the Tactics one ain't a damn knockoff; it's just an upgrade, a design change...
I mean, c'mon, man! It looks like a freakin demon! And that's okay. Not necessarily a BAD thing to have a change of decor. Although it was a true, loved original, I bet you Tony Montana got pussy after upgrading from the Cheetah-Interior lowrider to the European Sportscar.

At any rate, I spose you guys have good reason to prefer the original as opposed to the Tactics variation, seeing as how few sequels are as good as an original. It's understandable. Like said before, I do respect your respective opinions.
Wex wrote:IIRC, the description of Gauss Minigun says that it was made by Chinese to counter the power armor technology. You say it's an overkill, but it does rip through it like few other weapons.

So, eh, it is not a brotherhood prototype.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. But that does prove the validity of such a weapon's creation.

Then again, even though a gauss minigun WOULD be damn-near indespensible when dealing with power armor, how many infantry actually have power armor to use? That would be my reasoning for calling it overkill, seeing as how the majority of infantry only use armor composed of leather, average metal, and hard plastic-- assuming the enemy was actually a squad/garrison/platoon of armed and armored soldiers, as opposed to a cluster of FEV-infected, mutated animals. In that case, on the other hand, wasting precious gauss ammunition would probably be the last thing for an expirienced soldier to do.

Back on the subject, however, is HOW the chinese guns came into the possession of the brotherhood. The only solution is that a gun runner, somehow, managed to smuggle them out of china and sell them to a buyer in America who A] could pay for them, and B] knew of their existence.
Either way, it made its way over there somehow.

But yeah. Fuckin' tactics.
It ain't all that bad. It splits from the main fallout story, yes... but it isn't bad enough to really dislike, as opposed to Fallout:BOS on the PS2.

But one thing I do agree with you on for sure, PsyckoSama, is the fact that things should have been more reactive. There should have been a convo tree, and I don't know about any of you, but I've actually never come across a "mysterious stranger" that can assist you.
All in all, I would say that the lack of personal involvement with conversations and such is Tactic's biggest weakness.

All the same though, I still like it. And that isn't likely gonna change. The rest of you have your reasons for liking and disliking it as well. Whatever your stance might be, it's always fine to have one.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Seven Minutes To Ultimate Midnight

Nuclear Weapons Data

World Nuclear Megatonnage

Many, many megatons
Somewhat different data

""The sheer force of this event is beyond human comprehension. It was equivalent to a 900 megaton blast, 900 million tons of TNT exploding! What must the native Americans of the time thought, seeing such a thing? Ash from the explosion covered the northwest, reaching as far north as Canada and as far east as Nebraska.

"Robock next plans to go back in history to study Laki’s 1783 eruption in Iceland, and Tambora’s eruption in 1815 � an eruption 10 times bigger than Pinatubo that created “the year without a summer� in 1816. Without satellite observations, it will be difficult, he says, but he has high hopes that their current models will reveal a better understanding of the atmospheric effects of past eruptions. "
"While Pinatubo’s eruption created an immediate fallout of particles near the volcano itself, it also produced a 30-megaton cloud of sulfuric acid droplets in the upper atmosphere (stratosphere). The sulfuric acid droplets are like little cloud droplets that gradually fall out as they move around in the upper atmosphere.

“Within three weeks, the aerosol cloud in the stratosphere circled the globe, about the same timing it took for El Chichón,� Robock says, and the cloud stayed in the stratosphere for about two years.

On Sept. 21, 1991, sulfur dioxide from the eruption of Mount Pinatubo three months earlier still stretched around the globe. Pictured is the view from 26 kilometers high as compiled by the MLS (Microwave Limb Sounder) instrument aboard the Upper Atmospheric Research Satellite. Courtesy of NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

The aerosol particles in the cloud reflected sunlight back to space, so less sunlight reached the ground. Robock says that after Pinatubo, the whole planet cooled for a couple of years, and it looked as though global warming was not happening. “But actually our climate models, the same ones we use for global warming, tell us that it should have cooled after Pinatubo and they tell us that it cooled by about the right amount,� Robock says.

Ben Santer of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory agrees and says that this aerosol effect likely masked the past 20 years of global warming. He and his colleagues have sought to compare climate models and observations by removing the volcanic effects to reveal the human-induced warming.
"

" In the 1950s and early 1960s a large number of nuclear weapons were exploded in the atmosphere - a total of 430 megatonnes (Mt). This has led and is leading to an average ionising radiation exposure, both external and internal, of about two millisieverts over 30 years for people in the northern hemisphere, and about one-third this level in the southern hemisphere. A major nuclear war resulting in the explosion of 4000Mt (see "Explosive power in a nuclear war") would, according to simple scaling, lead to an average exposure ten times as great as occurred from previous tests.

Many of the 1950s-1960s explosions were very high yield, up to 60Mt, but most nuclear weapons are now 2Mt or smaller. Therefore, stratospheric fallout from a 4000Mt war would probably be less than ten times as great as from previous atmospheric tests. Furthermore, because material injected into the lower stratosphere is less likely to move great distances before returning to the troposphere, relative fallout levels in the southern hemisphere due to northern hemisphere explosions are likely to be smaller than the previous one-third ratio.

The lower injection of radioactive material into the stratosphere means correspondingly higher levels of tropospheric fallout, especially near the latitudes of the explosions. Since tropospheric fallout returns to earth more quickly than stratospheric fallout, it is more radioactive and dangerous. Thus the shift to lower yield nuclear weapons has reduced the health risk of nuclear war from radioactivity to people who are far from the main regions of nuclear conflict, but increased it for those near the latitudes of numerous nuclear explosions. These conclusions are tentative, since it is possible that the rapid explosion of 4000Mt of nuclear weapons could greatly alter the atmospheric circulation, with unknown consequences for the distribution of fallout."

By the time of fallout tactics- halfway between FO and FO2.

That would be 120 years after the war. (I think. From what I remember FO was 80 years after WW3, and FO2 was 80 years after FO.)

Some very long half-life stuff would still be around but it wouldn't be pervasive. (Mostly unburned reaction mass from the bombs)

Hot, cold, whatever would be back to natures control and any nuke winter/etc. crap would have been long over with.

Of course, the 50's theme can dictate that we use 50's Movie Science to calculate the effects.

So then its all up for grabs.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Hell yes, Redeye-- That kicked ass.

I'm pretty much out of it today. At that, I'm having a bit of trouble taking in the information, so from your point of view, do you think environmental temperatures would have dropped since a century after the war? At least in higher elevation?
Last edited by Manoil on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Manoil wrote:Hell yes, Redeye-- That kicked ass.

I'm pretty much out of it today, psycho as hell even though I'm not high (YET. That stands to be corrected tonight). At that, I'm having a bit of trouble taking in the information, so from your point of view, do you think environmental temperatures would have dropped since a century after the war? At least in higher elevation?
I don't think temperatures would have gone up at all in the first place.

The idea that the world would have been really hot from the nuclear war is cartoon logic.

A single hurricane has the energy of 10,000 hiroshima bombs- I don't know if that's per hour, per day, or for the whole cycle.

Whichever it is, even a titanic WW3 wouldn't melt all the snow/etc.

Mountain areas would have kept their snowcaps unless directly hit.
The snow would be back at the same rate it normally accumulates.
Weeks, months. Certainly by the next winter.
Even in a nuke crater.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

the death claws look like gorilias, mangy ones.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
ZoZo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by ZoZo »

I guess it's pretty difficult to predict the climatological impact of global nuclear conflict. Intuitively I would expect the global dimming effect of light absorbing particles in the atmosphere presented by the huge build-up of smoke to cause a global drop of average temperatures. This scenario focusses principally on the short-term consequences and thus fails to deal with questions of what the world would look like many years later.
In one possible scenario the collapse of ecosystems and global deterioration of co2-consuming vegatation would cause a significant rise in global temperatures, giving rise to a world much similar to the wasteland envisioned by Fallout dev's.
The fact there is still a debate revolving around the extend to wich co2 actually plays a role in climate changes underlines just how little is known about climate dynamics. I think however that there is general agreement on the concept of climate as is fairly stable yet feeble system that as a consequence is easily disrupted.
Our Host!