The Future of Ghouls?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

The Future of Ghouls?

Post by Ernesto »

I am not too certain on sterility issues.

Yes, I realize that Super Mutants are sterile but what about Ghouls?

Can they reproduce? I didn't see any Ghoul children in Fallout I/II/Tactics so can anyone clear this up for me?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

In short, they don't have a future. All forms of human derived mutants are totally sterile. Anything that says otherwise anywhere in Fallout is wrong. Neither ghouls or super mutants can reproduce. They are, however, extremely long lived, which is why there are still mutants around when Fallout 2 comes around and in the noew purely hypothetical Fallout 3.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Yup, Supermutants are immune to disease, so that gives them a nice, long bonus to lifespan right there.
------------------
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Ghouls are sterile, plus I imagine most of their reproductive organs would have deteriorated anyway. Of course, since they're just the product of radioactive exposure over a long period of time, it's not like new ones won't be created by other means.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

well whether or not they were sterile, I didnt see any ghoul women in FO2(if there were any i coulndt tell a diff.) and since they're proly too repulsive for REGULAR women to like them, they woulndt survive anyway
Schala...I've missed you so...NO!
You must not climb death peak
You wouldnt make it very far anyway..
It has to be the right time...
and THEY...
THEY have to show you...the way
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Blizzard wrote:well whether or not they were sterile, I didnt see any ghoul women in FO2(if there were any i coulndt tell a diff.) and since they're proly too repulsive for REGULAR women to like them, they woulndt survive anyway
Cost me 703 caps to hook Lenny up with a woman at the cats paw. I guess the old guy can still preform, although he is definitely sterile.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

They could be cloned, since their mutant characteristics are purely genetic. Hah, baby super mutants, that would be a sight.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Franz_Schubert wrote:They could be cloned, since their mutant characteristics are purely genetic. Hah, baby super mutants, that would be a sight.
You're assuming a lot. For example, you're assuming a supermutant's genetic code for what a child looks like and how it forms, develops, and grows still functions in a fairly flawless capacity.
------------------
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

I see no reason as to why that would be affected. After all, there's like a billion genes.

Fallout 3: Attack of the Mutant Clones
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Franz_Schubert wrote:They could be cloned, since their mutant characteristics are purely genetic.
Mutants, mayhaps. Ghouls no. As well, you're assuming that FEV could be cloned. As well, you're assuming cloning technology exists in Fallout. As well, you're assuming anyone will make any more Fallout games. As well, I like the dancing icon. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Sean wrote:As well, you're assuming that FEV could be cloned.
FEV is not a disease. It causes actual genetic mutations, which is therafter imprinted in each cell in the subject's body. Thanks for your opinion, though.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Franz_Schubert wrote:I see no reason as to why that would be affected. After all, there's like a billion genes.
Well, for one, they're immune to diseases like cancer. How that mechanism works is entirely up in the air. It could work by simply not allowing blank state cells to form or divide. If that's the case, then it's impossible for a fetus to develop.
------------------
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

No, if stem cells can't form, they would die almost immediately (full grown ghouls, that is).
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Of course you can clone a super mutant. The question is, is cloning canon or just stupid? I don't recall mention of it in any of the original Fallouts, and considering how much of a bad plot device cloning is, you think it would be in there. So I doubt it is canon.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Franz_Schubert wrote:No, if stem cells can't form, they would die almost immediately (full grown ghouls, that is).
Ghouls still have human DNA, though it may be "damaged" from the radiation. Supermutants are the FEV guys.
------------------
eyemaster7
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Location: Behind you. Lightly touching your butt with my love tentacle

Post by eyemaster7 »

In FOBOShit ghouls can have kids. In fallout tactics you see a mutant factory. There is a mad mutant who is creating mutants.
"Opinions are like assh@les - everyone's got 'em and they all stink" old saying atributed to the Chosen One.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

eyemaster7 wrote:In FOBOShit ghouls can have kids. In fallout tactics you see a mutant factory. There is a mad mutant who is creating mutants.
Well those two titles aren' t the best reference for a canon setting. And unless that mad mutant ain' t no Chucky or Herve Cain, but no one less than the Master than I can live on happily.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

I realize FEV causes genetic changes, but you're assuming he product of said changes could mature properly, and wouldn't have issues with being cloned, and wouldn't need to be implanted into a fully grown human.
ghoulboy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ghoulboy »

Well let me say just this: supermutants are not sterile. in fallout 2 when you go with marcus to the cat's paw and get him laid you can ask him about it. He will say that it is not true (he's capable of reproducing). As for ghouls... how nows?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

DaC needs re-education camps, I swear it.
Harriers for the cup.
Our Host!