Fallout 1 End Game Patch

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Fallout 1 End Game Patch

Post by Corpse »

Hi guys, I finished scripting a patch to prevent the game from ending after you talk to the overseer and have completed the game. What it does is it brings a dialog screen with the option to keep playing or end the game. Also you can kill the overseer when he walks to the vault entrance; make sure you use a weapon that has burst or you won't be able to shoot him. There is a few minor bugs if you enter the vault after talking to the overseer. One is the overseer will still be in level 3 and the other is exiting the vault will trigger the endgame animations again and the overseer will be placed again at the cave entrance.

You can download the mod from the link below.

http://www.freewebs.com/herrleiche/mods/FalloutEnd.zip

Have fun!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Pretty k3wl. This is some awesome shiat :)
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Ok guys, I fixed some things in the patch. You can get it from the same link I provided in my previous post.

I am still having some problems so I would appreciate your help. I changed the vault door computer script so it does not open the door after you have completed the game; but if you enter from the worldmap, you can still access the vault levels through the town map. I looked for city.txt in the master.dat and I can't find it anywhere, also I could not find worldmap.txt or maps.txt so I am assuming these files may be either hard-coded or scripted somewhere. If anyone knows where this data is your help would be appreciated.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

The spots on the map get added when you enter the map (with a script). If using the decompiler (which you are, as otherwise that'd be quite impossible...) Check the code of the map itself.

Now the question is, can we actually toggle the entrance options OFF, as we certaily can turn them on. In any case, even when the cursor is gone, the player can still press 1/2/3/4 etc.. to anter the area, but that's less obvious anyway.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Thanks Red, I'll have to look into that; just one question, is there a way of preventing the town map from appearing when the game has been completed?, that is make the cave entrance the default entrance when you enter Vault 13 from the worldmap.
I have added a global variable that gets activated if you choose to continue the game. This global variable could also be used as a condition to prevent the townmap from appearing but I need to know where the townmaps are called (which is normally city.txt) or find a way around it.

Mmmmm, just had an idea; maybe if I add a condition to Obj_dude.int so if you enter the area when the end game Gvar is set will activate script overrides and automatically place you at the cave entrance, I'll have to give that a try later but I would still appreciate any help to find the worldmap, city and maps.txt data.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Heads up, version 002 is ready; I got rid of few more bugs and changed the overseer placement sequence a bit, let me know what you think.

You can get the update from here.

http://www.freewebs.com/herrleiche/mods/FalloutEnd.zip

I am still having problems with Vault 13 being accessible from the townmap; I tried to work around this problem by scripting the Vault13 map script to load the cave map on map enter procedure if the endgame Gvar is set. Unfortunately this does not seem to get called and the player still gets placed at the vault entrance. Looks like the only way I'll get this working is by finding the city data to disable the town entrance or maybe if I find how the cathedral or Military Base townmap get their entrance points changed (if it is via a script), I could do something similar. Any ideas or suggestions on this subject would be appreciated.

Merry Xmas everyone!!
backstabber
SDF!
SDF!

Post by backstabber »

well... there's some data in the exe, at the address 00539416. It contains info about the maps. I don't have fallout installed right now so i couldn't make tests but it contains three interesting entries: childead.map, mbdead.map and brodead.map (it's beginning to be interesting :) ). There is two references to this data, they're both followed by a call to a routine which loads maps. Before loading maps (sorry this can't be scriped) the prog watchs 2 variables (probably some gvars). If the vars are non-zero and if the map name is mbase or childead:
WORLD MAP: Loading special \"crater\" map
... you must have seen that if you used the debug patch.

Well... just to say I think it could be possible to use the unused entry (brodead) and add some code to have a "cratter" map for vault13. This is the problem with fallout1: there's much more things hardcoded than in fallout2...

I was wondering... what are the lines numbers for the two gvars used to load the cratters maps? Because it would be a lot easier if it was 72 or 18 for childead and 68 or 17 for mbdead...
Our Host!