Feeling a little melancholy

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Feeling a little melancholy

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

It's strange how when a tv show ends how down you can feel. More so when a show comes to a natural end rather than just getting canceled due to poor ratings, I think. I've just watched the last episode of Buffy, not a show I've watched religiously over the years but still it seems wierd that there won't be any new episodes, makes me remember when Miami Vice finished or even further back when Blake's Seven came to it's explosive end. More recently Babylon 5 has already fallen by the wayside, all the good Star Trek shows have ended, but like with computer games the mediocre and down right crap will continue year after year while the good die young.

A similar phenomenon happens when you read the last book in a series that you've enjoyed, it seems funny that after all these years that the Dark Tower series will be finally finishing next year.

It feels like growing older is about collecting endings, end of a tv show, end of a book series, end of a relationship, end of another year in two weeks. *Sigh*
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

I know what you mean about the book endings, when I finished Death Gate I was depressed for a few days. I can't watch most TV shows though, because all the actors really suck, and it gets on my nerves.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Conversely, you could always say life is just a series of beginnings; your birth, your first book, your first lover, your passage from life, etc. But life is neither entirely one or the other, it is a mix of the two. Kinda understand how you feel about the TV shows and stuff, though; I used to get sad as a small child everytime I finished Redwall.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

A tear still comes to my eye when I think of the final Quantum Leap episode :P
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

So was that god in the last episode?
trythebill
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by trythebill »

imagine the feeling when the simpsons finally kicks the bucket.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

I've never seen a TV show/read a book good enough to invoke any emotion when it was over. Some people have told me that's because I'm a sociopath, but I just carved them up and hid them under my floorboards.
fuck
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

trythebill wrote:imagine the feeling when the simpsons finally kicks the bucket.
I'll be rather glad, because it's been real shit for a good three or four years now.

And I know what you're all talking about. I sometimes feel kinda low after finishing a really good series of whatever, mostly because I know it means I won't be able to enjoy it anymore for a while as I'm not the kind who can re-read/watch/play a book/movie/game right away. I need a good six months before I can get into it again.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
trythebill
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by trythebill »

the only book i've really read that invoked emotions that lasted longer than a few hours was fortress on the sun by paul cook when i was 11. for some reason the book scared me so much that i hardly slept for two days.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

Two series ending that left a little melancholy in my heart where

-Fallout, the unfinished game.

-The series of books by Coleen McCullough about the Roman Republic, "October Horse" deserves continuation into the Empire.
Carpe jugulum.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Mad Max RW wrote:A tear still comes to my eye when I think of the final Quantum Leap episode :P
I liked Quantum Leap, but I didn't get the same feeling when the show ended. Mainly because they didn't send Sam home, nor did they kill him off, with him still leaping around just didn't have the same impact. The way they sorted out Al's life brought more of an emotional gulp than the actual show finishing.
The Gaijin wrote:Conversely, you could always say life is just a series of beginnings; your birth, your first book, your first lover, your passage from life, etc. But life is neither entirely one or the other, it is a mix of the two.
Seems like once past 21 there are more endings to be had than beginings. :(
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Yeah...what the fuck do I know about life, anyway? I'm seventeen.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Anybody know Tour of Duty? Well it rocked in Holland when they were show on TV. I think it was back in 93' ish.

Further then that, I only watch movies, not TV. Well sometimes I laugh and feel for week humans in Dr. Phil.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

I was very sad of the ending of Futurama. :(
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

try the books of raymond e. feist, they are big, but really good.
and on further note:

SIMPSONS WILL NEVER DIE MUHAHAHAHA
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yea, losing the Simpsons will be really hard.

But I know that feeling about finishing good books. But I rarely get sad or depressed, mostly I just feel like something's gonna miss. Only books which made me sad was Agota Krysztof's 3 books series, called "Le Grand Cahier" in french, and her fourth, "Hier".
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

the simpsons has been on a downhill slide for the last couple of years anyways. might as well shoot it before it gets cancerous.

the only book that almost made me cry was Watership Down by Richard Adams. the ending was awesome but sad.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Simpsons are going downhill but it is still one of the best TV show playing these days.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I think the simpsons suck. And the old ones suck too because of the constant repeats. They were ok, but a bit over-rated. It seems as soon as something remotely intresting gets into the mainstream I just lose intrest? I suppose it's snobbery but...I don't care. The way things get constantly talked about by people who don't seem to understand it and just watch it because everyone else likes it annoys me a bit.

Family Guy>Simpsons
:chew:
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Personally I think Family Guy name-drops and cuts to something unrelated to what's going on at that point in the episode in order to explain a joke too much.

Still great though. Good enough to sit through 4 hours straight of.
Our Host!