You know when you've spent too long mapping FOT...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

You know when you've spent too long mapping FOT...

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

...when you decide to stick a bell tower on your roof and then worry if the roof can take that much weight or whether you should build some more supporting structure underneath (Me = fool :) ).
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah well it depends on the material. Is it wood? How are the foundations? :lol:
Red

Post by Red »

Well, given it doesn't hinder gameplay -- and you actually see what's underneath the roof, there's nothing wrong with proper architecture... Although on the other side of the coin, the more tiles you slap on a map/moreso on a single screen, ther more RAM it'll take...
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

A symptom to this condition would also be looking at how real life buildings are constructed and how the layout of the buildings in your city is. All this to make a more realistic cityscape in the editor, when constructing ruined towns :D
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Well I searched the internet for floor plans of this particular building, next I'll be designing the plumbing and heating arrangements. :lol:

How much detail is too far :?:
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

Well I guess it would be a cool detail if there were some pipes showing under the floor where there would be a hole(s)...
Hmm... Actually that sounds like a good idea! :)
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Red

Post by Red »

There are two point of too much details:
- So many details the game runs way too slow
- So many details it hinders gameplay (although the first also applies to this one... - a few examples: This pipe is blocking the view of my players; this pipe makes [specific creature] unable to pass through; or you can walk on this pipe, then jump on the roof [of a place you're not supposed to])
Otherwise, there is no limit in my mind...
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

You have to admit though, that making sure that there's enough plumbing, seating, beds and room in the canteen for every person on the map is getting a little obsessional. :)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:You have to admit though, that making sure that there's enough plumbing, seating, beds and room in the canteen for every person on the map is getting a little obsessional. :)
Amen, brotha, amen.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

Next your going to make a big fireplace with a chimney build from caps! :lol:
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:You have to admit though, that making sure that there's enough plumbing, seating, beds and room in the canteen for every person on the map is getting a little obsessional. :)
I usually do that. To some extent anyway :)

I usually make alot of beds and a "realistic" amount of restrooms etc. as to make a realistic picture of how many people are around.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well... the "surrealistic" feeling of Fallout 1 & 2 is kinda too far-fetched as well. How am I supposed to believe that there are 70 000 people living in the NCR capital, when there's only less than 10 hobos wandering in the streets and twenty cops on the street corners?

So, I'd say KEEP GOING MAN, no detail is too much detail. You can always buy more RAM ;)
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Kashluk wrote:Well... the "surrealistic" feeling of Fallout 1 & 2 is kinda too far-fetched as well. How am I supposed to believe that there are 70 000 people living in the NCR capital, when there's only less than 10 hobos wandering in the streets and twenty cops on the street corners?

So, I'd say KEEP GOING MAN, no detail is too much detail. You can always buy more RAM ;)
Yea. That always anoyed me like hell. Also the number of vault inhabitants. Like. Those teeny-tiny vaults we see in the games contained up too 8k+ people? Hmmm. Good luck.
Red

Post by Red »

I don't like that perspective of [the] Fallout [bible] either. Though there is some abstraction to be made indeed, the bible numbers I certainly don't agree with.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Well the main character only needed to go to floors 1 to 3 or so forth. I guess the fallout bible was thinking there were perhaps more living quarters than that?

Of course, Fallout 2 also assumes that the hero from the first game was a good guy. It also assumes that he killed all the Khans raiders from the first game, rather than bargaining with them. Although I guess its a "most likely first path" point of view thingy. So I suppose 75% of the people who player fallout the first time decided to kill the raiders and win via good guy methods. 2nd time were either evil or tried to do stuff the sneaky/tricky way. Or both?

But seriously, did anyone ever blow up the radscorpion cave entrance without first killing the radscorpions for exp? Plus there is the ammo and stuff in the cave (although a little hard to find/see).

As for too much detail, I actually added a furnace to an old building's basement. But always, when I put in extra detail, I try to have litle hidden goodies here and there for the player :)

Caps are cool. I made a video game system one time with caps and pipes. And a tile sink & stove. Its too bad you can't have even smaller caps, but I guess we got good ones considering they're the smallest world unit possible. Anyone ever seen the cross on my large modern church building?

http://www.geocities.com/paladinheart79 ... ision.html

Just scroll on down a bit and you'll see it. Just ignore my webpage. I hardly ever work on it and have disabled most of the links.

Hmm.. I wish I had more time to work on my campaign. I think I'll take the opportunity and work on some dialogue.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: RE

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:http://www.geocities.com/paladinheart79 ... ision.html

Just scroll on down a bit and you'll see it. Just ignore my webpage. I hardly ever work on it and have disabled most of the links.
Hehe. I need a cross in one of my maps, thought about doing it like that actually. Nice work. Doesnt it slow the screen up abit when near it though?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

What sort of cross 46&2? You could use some of the scaffolding tiles or the wasteland trench posts. Or if you need a large concrete one, I could make a tile.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:What sort of cross 46&2? You could use some of the scaffolding tiles or the wasteland trench posts. Or if you need a large concrete one, I could make a tile.
Just a plain old cross, probaly with a concrete or wood like surface. Preferebly concrete in this case, as it would fit best with the rest of my scenario. The one Paladin has looks nice though, size and form wise. Maybe you could make a one-tile version of it? Without the trace of cap tile holes and anoying shadow behavior =).
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Okay Mr Tasty Danish, I've done a couple of variations of the cross, pm me your email and I'll send them to you.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Actually that cross in particular doesn't slow down the game any when I got near it in-game. Probably due to the fact that it was mostly made from concrete blocks and/or scaffolding (as RFAS just suggested).

I did, however, make a library with some complicated steps that severely slows down the game in that map. When I use that map (its an old cast-off from my failed resident evil project), I will have to fix the library, but the church will likely stay intact, since it is the pinnacle of my work on that map in particular.

I may have to work on the map in other areas. Considering Resident Evil takes place modern day while Fallout is anything but modern.
Our Host!