Mapper crashes on startup, did I miss something?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Shino
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Location: A whales belly.. yep the whale's got internet and stuff

Mapper crashes on startup, did I miss something?

Post by Shino »

Hi there, as far as I've seen most FAQs and similar documents focus on how to use the editor, unfortunately not much is said about getting it working in the first place *g*. I suppose this is because for most people it just works after it's installed... but not for me ;]

Here's my problem:
Fallout2 is installed (german version), patch is applied, mapper is installed, mapper is being started, black screen (initialization I think), back to windows =(

maybe I just missed something, are there certain steps that have to be done first in order to get it running? would be nice If someone could help me getting this fixed.

[edit] can't harm to give some extra specs. I'm using Win98SE and a Geforce 4 MX (Detonator drivers), 512MB RAM, 700MHz P3. Does nobody have such a problem?? Is it confirmed that the editor also works with international versions of fallout? [/edit]
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

I've read a similar post on the BIS er... IPLY... er Hallow Entity... forums.

Anyhoo, I never got a reply, but in any case I beleive the problem with the german version is the localization.

Here's the answer I gave to which I never got a reply:
Open mapper2.cfg, find the [system] section and change the "language=english" line to, of course, "language=german"

Hope it works, and in either case, please to post about it here!
Shino
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Location: A whales belly.. yep the whale's got internet and stuff

Post by Shino »

Whoa! it works =) thx a lot Mr.!
I already thought it might be a localization problem so I tried changing the windows language settings to english but it didn't work ;P
I even tried using an english fallout2.exe (the game didn't seem to have a problem with this) but it didn't work either. Although there must be some major differences between english and international versions of the game the actuall executable doesn't seem to reflect that, the differences must be somewhere else (the content of some of the .dat files I guess)

Someone should drop a few lines about this issue in one of those FAQs, I don't think I'm the only person using a non english version of fallout who tries to use the mapper. ;-)

Thanks again =)
Our Host!