Morrowind Engine

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Straws
SDF!
SDF!

Morrowind Engine

Post by Straws »

I love the setting of Fallout 2 but I want it to be more alive. I want to do a mod for Morrowind that recreates either Fallout 1 or 2. I know some map editors and I'm a modeler so now all I need are some people with amazing knowledge on the game....you guys. Do you think this mod would be worth doing?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There's (or was) one under construction... I don't know how far they've got, nor the website but they had some screenshots already.

Try googling and join their project :)
Straws
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Straws »

yeah that mod shut down. Seeing how they really tried to do that and tried to change the combat system. Thats what i wanted to do. but because they obviously couldnt, my question to you guys is, Do you think I should continue with this mod and just change the story line, environment, and stuff like that. The only things that I cant get to change will be character creation (Stat points) and combat system (action points). It would be first person, just like morrowind, and the gun system would be based off of conefire. when you get a higher skill with certain guns by leveling up the cone would become tighter. Do you guys think that is a good idea for a Fallout style mod? If you guys have more ideas, please post them.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You would still need to do some modelling... I mean crossbows are fine to some point (MM style) but you'd need guns. And make them very powerful, because the missile weapon style sucks in Morrowind.

And being able to use alchemy or some other skill to make bullets is a have-to.

You could always try making the mod, but it'll be a lot of hard work even without changing the combat system and so on.
Straws
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Straws »

Kashluk wrote:You would still need to do some modelling... I mean crossbows are fine to some point (MM style) but you'd need guns. And make them very powerful, because the missile weapon style sucks in Morrowind.

And being able to use alchemy or some other skill to make bullets is a have-to.

You could always try making the mod, but it'll be a lot of hard work even without changing the combat system and so on.
I've already started modeling some of the guns. Thats a good idea about using alchemy for creating bullets. I just want to know if it would even be worth playing. Because I know that some people think the best part of the game is the combat system. unfortuneatley i'm not sure about getting vic or anyone else to follow you. i'll try it though
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

NPCs suck in Morrowind, I suggest you make them available but not crucial.
Straws
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Straws »

yeah it would suck. coding their skill system would suck. i would have to pull AI from some of the current npcs with bows and alter it. eh. doesnt sound worth it.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

I've been playing Morrowind a bit, and I kinda think if you're dedicated, you could make it work. I'd be willing to help, if I'm able.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Npcs suck mainly because they can't keep up with your character. Even if they would, they'd still get stuck to some rocks or trees on the way. The next thing you know, you're in middle of a battle on the other end of the continent while your buddy there with his huge cannon got stuck on the doorway 100 miles ago.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Why not just program your own port of Fallout2 if it's going to take that much work?

Surely making up something that can use isometric gfx shouldn't be a problem... and i'm sure you could get the code from various people for accessing the original FO2 gfx (since there's programs to unpack the dat files, and programs to convert the frm's into normal images and back again).

Then again, if you're a modeller, you probably wouldn't need to fiddle around with the map tiles - you could make your own, since fallout's map format is odd among isometric games (as in, placement of tiles and walls and such).

I've had such an idea, but i'm not good enough at programming yet to try and tackle a graphics engine (and the map would be vector based with a Z component for height... using Action Points to simply cover some set distance amount like FOT does).
dog meat
SDF!
SDF!

Post by dog meat »

hell yeah man that would be awsom mod.
Our Host!