Halo PC gone gold!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I think that a great game comes from two things: Story and gameplay.
If a game has great gameplay but a terrible story, it's only fun if you play it with your friends usually.
If a game has a great story, but the gameplay is so-so, it's only really fun alone.
I don't know about HALO, but I'm guessing that the story is quite linear, and the gameplay is the main appeal (ie, everyone blabing about their "halo parties" with so many xboxes and so many tv's)

aih-ig-at?
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

I could care less about the singleplayer. I like the multiplayer on an Xbox because of the social aspect.

I dunno if that can translate to PC. CS is pretty annoying.

I was going to buy it, but I just don't know now. They say it runs like ass on even high-end Radeon 9800 systems!
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, I'm going to get it, along with Freedom Fighters (and STALKER, and HL2, and...). What I've got to lose? $50? Wow. I'm not poor (read: I work), so even if I don't like the game (which is unlikely as I enjoy a wiiiiiiiide variety of games), it's not that big of deal.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

I think I've decided to get it. IM me sometime and we'll play.

Oh yeah, I have a GeForce4 MX440, think it'll run at at least 30 FPS?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I'd get it, but I stopped playing FPS a long time ago..I got into DM and stuff with Doom...Played some fun DM on Duke Nukem 3D....Never played anything after that...Well...Wait..I did play Deus Ex against some dude from Korea once...I have to admit, it was really quite fun...But I'm really just not a fan anymore.

Someone needs to start up a Descent 1 server, or something..I'd be on that like an Asian on algebra. Does Kali still exist?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, I bought Halo PC, and so far, it's pretty damn fun. Steering the Warthog with the mouse is a bitch, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Unlike mouse steering in GTA3/GTAVC... don't even go there.

It runs OK I guess, but seeing as how I've "only" a 1.3Ghz P4 (GF4 4600 + 512 RAM), it bogs down during some of the more... intense... firefights. Not too bad, though. Could very well be my video drivers -- haven't updated 'em in ages...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

can you set the ingame graphics? (ie 600x800 and or texture detail?)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Resolution goes from 640x480 to like 1600x1200. Only thing you can't change is 16/32-bit color depth, but I would imagine it's 32-bit by default :)

Oh, and it supports 5.1 sound :D
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

I picked my copy up yesterday.

It runs like total ass on my GeForce 4 (It's an MX, go figure). I have to run it in 640x480 with minimal details.

I get massive choppiness any time there's any sort of action going on. When I look out at a level from afar the framerate drops from 30 FPS to about 10 FPS. When I'm indoors it's a steady 30, but that can change at any given time due to action on screen.

This would be so very depressing to me if it weren't for the fact that I'm going for a complete and total upgrade of my system in a few days.

Oh yeah, the multiplayer is very very very fun, but they really need to patch some things up. I don't like how you can't see your ping or how you can't vote to kick a person. Other than that, the new additions to multiplayer are more fun than a barrel of fish being shot at.
Our Host!