Underworld

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strapon2 wrote:If there is even one scene where there is slomo shooting [...] everyone says it's a rip off of the matrix.
That's because most folks don't know enough about film to remember that directors like Sam Peckinpah made slow-mo killings a hallmark of their work when the people who made the matrix were either not even itches in their daddies' crotches yet, or still finger painting the walls w/their own feces. :lol: (He still wasn't the first to do it, though.)
Strapon2 wrote:(how can you watch/do anything and not have it effect your later ideas in the slightest of ways?)
Imitation is -- to risk straying into platitude -- the most sincere form of flattery, as well as a basic means by which human beings learn. However, there's a thin line between being influenced by something, and simply ripping it off.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Idiot. I bet you just didn't understand most of the words. What chapter did you get up to?
It was a boring read--I don't prescribe to the idea that because something's old and has lots of big words that automatically means it's a good book. Anyways, I read up 'till around the halfway point. I liked it even less than Frankenstein, and the Frankenstein novel was just one big angst fest.
avenger69ie wrote:also, i think you mean Ocelot looks like Dracula, not vice versa.
THANK YOU GRAMMAR NAZI HURHURHUR.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I think Underworld is a movie made to make money (I know all movies are) but come on, It's like they had a meeting where people put together some popular selling points, Matrix Moves+Vampires and Werwolves+Romeo and Juliet+Blade=Blockbuster

Dracula is a better book than you'll ever be Gaijin.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Dog soldiers is a good werewolf movie. Lost boys is a good vampire movie. I haven't seen Underworld? Looks alright, but I'd rather watch...something else? like the munsters, that has wereworlds and vampYres in it BIZARRO!
:chew:
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

The Gaijin wrote:
Franz_Schubert wrote:Idiot. I bet you just didn't understand most of the words. What chapter did you get up to?
It was a boring read--I don't prescribe to the idea that because something's old and has lots of big words that automatically means it's a good book. Anyways, I read up 'till around the halfway point. I liked it even less than Frankenstein, and the Frankenstein novel was just one big angst fest.
avenger69ie wrote:also, i think you mean Ocelot looks like Dracula, not vice versa.
THANK YOU GRAMMAR NAZI HURHURHUR.

you're welcome amadháin, agus cuir ceist ar mó thóin. Figure that one out toughguy!
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Apparently, vampires take sexy hot showers, dress all in leather, drive around in cars, use cellphones and wave pistols like Mexican banditos hopped up on peyote.

Eh, it's a cool idea, vampires vs. werewolves.

Doesn't it kind of show you how media has an impact on culture? Someone uses Desert Eagles and leather clothing and people automatically think of The Matrix.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i want peyote
bey.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

The only drug I'd ever do would be that wacky mexican drug from Altered States. I want to de-evolve wtf.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

Plot Outline: A Harvard scientist conducts experiments on himself with a hallucinatory drug and an isolation chamber that may be causing him to regress genetically.
argh, someone send me a divx?
bey.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Mr. Green wrote:Doesn't it kind of show you how media has an impact on culture? Someone uses Desert Eagles and leather clothing and people automatically think of The Matrix.
Maybe that's because a certain hugely popular movie involved leather clothing and deagles? I don't see why it should be surprising. The Matrix did it and did it well and suddenly a ker-jillion movied are ding the leather-clad bullet timing superhero thing. This is a clear case of me-tooism.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Dark_Machine
Regular
Regular

Post by Dark_Machine »

Megatron wrote:Dog soldiers is a good werewolf movie. Lost boys is a good vampire movie. I haven't seen Underworld? Looks alright, but I'd rather watch...something else? like the munsters, that has wereworlds and vampYres in it BIZARRO!
I loved Lost Boys. One of my all-time favorite movies.

As for Underworld, I was going to go see it this weekend, but ended up getting drunk instead.

Not every movie has to be a fantastic piece of cinema history to be entertaining. So often people seem to think that a film must be perfect to be enjoyed, when that's not true at all. I rented Double Take this weekend and watched it. It's funny as hell, but it's not the best movie ever. The directing is only so-so, the cinematography(sp) is alright, the writing was decent. But the chemistry between the two main characters (Orlando Jones and Eddie Griffith) was funny as hell.

So yeah, Underworld will probably entertain me, because I'm an average American male between 18 and 43, I like hot chicks in leather, I like stylish clothing, I like big guns and I like people getting shot at.
Jay Levi
DJ Eripio
The Dark Machine
"He is a driven, unflinching, calculating machine, and nothing is beyond him."
Our Host!